Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ocean City supports them,Sandy Point encourages them,Monatauk has lures made after them,and OBX named and are famous for there Heavers.

So here we are,smacked dab in the middle,the Commonwealth of VA,where I just paid $15.00 for a stinkin city sticker,and $7.50 for a fishing liscense to fish the Bay and Ocean.
Our great Commonwealth with our aging piers,digruntled ocean front owners,who by the way love to play with millions and millions of tons of sand,long netters who seem to get closer and closer to our beaches,and by the way must have a hand in some commisioner's pocket when it comes down to paying taxes and creel limits(man,it pi$$e$ me off when I see a small flounder for sale in the sea-food market and I have to meet a size limit of 17 1/2 inches just to keep)and a city counsil that wanted to increase our liscense fee!

So my point?Why can't our economy in our great Commonwealth support Shore fishermen like the above listed cities.I would like to tell people in Ocean City,OBX,Sandy Point, Where I am from,but I am sometimes embarrassed,when I think about what my city has to offer(shore fishing wise")as to Ocean City's great shore fishing spots like rout 58 fishing bridge,and their Indian River.I know I can catch the same type and size fishes here in our Commonwealth,but when you compare the cities,Ocean City supports there shore fishermen alot more.(tounaments,accessability to great hot spots,locals who own shops and support shore fishing).
I am not a Commonwealth hater nor do I hate living in this great state,but it seems real funny to me that we are sandwiched between state lines that encourage and finacially supports there shore fisherman.Tell me one spot where you can drive on the beach?Where there is a tackle shop along or right across the street)from a hot spot(if there is one,some1 let me know,well Bubbas's is right across the the Lesner Bridge...)?A jetty with a railed walk way and not illegal to fish off?
These are just the questions I think about when I am fishing off the shores of our great shore fishing Commonwealth

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Have to agree, that being a land-based fisherman in Va. is difficult at best, especially for Ocean fishing. Access to fishing areas does not seem to be getting better, only worse.

As far as the northern beaches you're talking about, I'm not familiar with; although I've certainly heard the "M" word enough through other sites. As far as myself, I find it much more economical, and mentally rewarding, to make the 3hour drive to the OBX, opposed to the 2 hour drive to Va beaches, although it takes more planning, and need to do it in a series of days, pretty much eliminating the "spur of the moment" trip.

I find, as you say "disgruntled ocean front owners" have a big impact on the fishing here. Being a surfer and fisherman since the late 60's, I have spent my fair share of time on Va beaches, mostly Sandbridge. I tend to feel very "unwelcome" there now. Although I'm now treated as some kind of disease, I see very few other people carrying a bag of garbage home with them as I do. It's become so hard to get "to" the beach anymore, much less to acquire bait and supplies, that the mental anguish has become more than the peacefulness of the fishing experience.

Well in contrast, the OBX, and I'm sure the other areas you mentioned, await with open arms, catering to your needs, and are glad you are "there". We are the "Commonwealth", and the state is very conservative. I wish it would change, but don't see it happening...

My $.02

·
Registered
69 Posts
hello, and i can see why you are concerned. see, to my understanding some of the south beaches (va) were open to beach goers(buggies) at one time. which im sure were once a big part of the picture here. as you know many of the beaches in NC are still open to buggies but there are people who are trying to stop that. there are orginizations lobbying to keep the beaches open there (NCBBA) and many others.

as for location of tackle shops in the vicinity of spots. princess anne im sure was at one time a volatile place for the vb pier fishermen. being only five blocks away. lighthouse is on the way to cbbt.

I believe there is still a good number of people that have a strong interest in fishing the surf here in va beach. the more people there are that are knowledgable and fishing, the better off we are.

If you see someone do something that you think might adversely affect our sport, take a stand. whether it be to pick up litter, or to attend a fed meeting, or what have you. this place used to have a lot of good fishermen and still does. but with the advance in technology, the surf fishermen is being forgotten about by the majority.

·
Registered
232 Posts
While reading these posts I had a few interesting thoughts: Why would this area not actively promote itself as a saltwater fishing haven? (They seem to do anything else to get a buck.) Who would gain and who would loose? And, based on that question, how would this impact the commercial industry? Is this a classic case of "follow the money"? What do you think Mr. Powers?

Macman ;)

·
Registered
239 Posts
m from Richmond, so I'm not 'directly' affected by holier than thou property owners. I am, however, highly pissed and heartbroken every time I see an 8 inch flounder fillet in the market. ALL trawling and MOST netting needs to stop. I could care less if the entire menhaden fleet were sold to restore bay grasses. I don't mind paying the money, but it will just take up a void created after some money is shuffled into some other agency. Just like loterry proceedes go to help schools, yea riiiiight! :mad:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Fishing is hard enough for a novice fisherman like myself, not alway's knowing where to go, trying to find a spot to fish that hopefully will bring a few keepers to take home. spot's being taken away because someone wants to own the property or we are taking up there parking spaces.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was pleased to read that I a not the only person who cant understand the restrictions on fishing in this Comenwealth(thats the first problem) I can't think of a place on the Gulf coast from Mississippi to Texas that you cant fish providing your not standing on someones back porch. It has been a unique experince to find places to fish around here, but that only makes you try harder to catch something when you get there. Guess you have to deal with what you have, and in my case wait to transfer back down south. ;)

·
Registered
270 Posts
I think that what you will find if you search the law and property books is that these water front owners do not own the beaches. They would like for you to believe it, but they don't.

Now motels are a little bit different because they want beaches for their guests, but they too do not "own" the beach. The cities support the use of those sections and prevent surfing, but I do not think they hastle fishermen.

Virginia Beach has put benches along Rudee Inlet. Not because fishermen requested it, but for families walking along it.

Your right though this area does not support the shore fisherman. Probably because we are perceived as "poorer", "cheaper" and spend on low dollar items, vice the offshore crowd.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Even across from where the bences are at rudee inlet a fisherman is charged $5 just to fish from that side of the inlet!!!!???

·
Registered
389 Posts
There is really no where to park on the other side of Rudee the last time I checked.It's marked no parking tow away zone every where I looked. :confused:

·
Registered
134 Posts
It was right by the fuel pier, parking off to the side. At least it was like that last year. The codo's would be right behind you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
ok heres my thought on this..look at all the marinas and boat dealers we have...these equal $$$ for the city and commonwealth.We dont have to pay personal property or rec.taxes on our rods.OK no money for these guys from us here.We dont have 50-80 gallon fuel tanks to fill,still no money from us.So charge us for a license,charge us to fish from a city owned pier,and charge us to park on a street we already pay taxes on.If we got to drive on the beach,there would be less room for tourists,nevermind we pay for the luxury they get to enjoy(ever try to go to the beach betweem May and Oct..HA.)And that takes away $$for the city and state also..See where I'm coming from?They don't call it a Common Wealth for nothing..My .03 cents(tax included)

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good point sawfish,but All the coastal states I forementioned are also heavy into fishing boats,gas prices,and tourists.Yet they still support there local shore-fishermen.

So what is the difference?We get shafted and pushed back.I wish we had a congressman who was an avid surf-fisher,so we had some sorta weight.

·
Registered
270 Posts
What's the difference? Local government. How many fisherpersons do you suppose are on VA Beach or Norfolk City Council? You want money spent on fishing, look for and support people running for office who are interested or have interest in it.

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
You guys are still pretty lucky. Most beaches are open to surf fishing, there are tons of piers and access points, and the fishing in Tidewater is outstanding.

Here in Maryland there are very few public places to fish, access is limited and the fishing can be spotty.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts