Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few questions. Those two stripers were caught using clam.

We buy the little neck clams for eating. Are they good for fishing? Also, are the large chowder type clams that are found in seafood markets good as fishing bait?

I didn't know stripers liked clam. Didn't know they liked shrimp either til one was caught after it took a Wallyworld Seafood Dept headless shrimp. What are some other least likely natural baits that striper go for?

Thanks

·
Registered
500 Posts
Hey there Thrifty. The striper I caught last week had 3 small crabs in it's belly. The sea robin I caught (different post) had a handful of baby crabs in it's belly. I see a pattern here, with all crabs ranging from nickel to quarter size.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Grocery Store Bait

There's quite a lot of bait that you can get at the grocery store to catch rock. Here's some of the offerings I've bought at my local Giant and caught stripers with it.

Frozen squid
Green mussels
Cherrystone clams
Frozen soft crab
Fresh tiger shrimp
Fresh spot
Fresh smelts
Chicken liver
Boneless chicken breast

There's probably more but this is what I've used.

Catman.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Clams for bait

Yo Thrifty here in NJ clams is just about the bait of choice for stripers. When we get a NE wind the clams are tossed around in the wash and crack open. The stripers just cruise the drop off and get ahold of the clam tongue and eat em... Caught one last year had 12 clam tongues in her. We also use bunker chunks, eels, both live and rigged. And they also use sand fleas for bait. Usually the clams are the chowder type, the large ones, I think they are kinda like quahogs but not the same...hope this helps....saltshaker

·
Registered
55 Posts
hey saltshaker ,there is a new bait that i heard that is catching stripers, squid eels. squid strips that are black color, i going to give them a shot this weekend.
have you tried them?

·
Registered
904 Posts
clams

Yo Flatfish, no not yet, but with the November month coming on and the sand eels starting, it is a good idea. I have been going to try a black eel with a jig head around the jettys in hopes of getting some ole girls attention. Let me know how you make out. Have used the flavored squid for fluke etc...works pretty good....salt shaker

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks guys

Quite a list there! And here I was thinking I was limited to frozen mullet as a bait preference.

Not sure about giving up my chicken livers to a jailbird though. I have to work on that one!

Still have plenty of squid in the freezer. Also bought some of those artificial crabs a while back. Natural color and some that resemble coca cola in color. And have some artificial crab scent spray. Will be interesting to give this a try. And the best part......not worrying about getting busted with undersized crabs.;) Chicken breast I can do. As well as the clams. Going to use the chowder ones. And of course...the shrimp. Will experiment with these this year.

I definitely won't be adding any of my observations to the list though. Never have been partial to potluck surprise. When it comes to cleaning out the innards, I simply close my eyes......reach in....and snatch it all out with one scooping motion. Cause whatever is in there, I don't want to know!:barf:

Brings back memories of that first frog dissection in Biology. Maybe if I used gloves and a scalpel I could tolerate it a bit better. Will need verbal directions though. Maybe by taking a slow step by step approach I might be able to pull it off.:rolleyes:

Thanks again guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts