Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm in need of getting a utility rod which I can use on pier, headboats, and for freshwater fishing.

I'm having the hardest time deciding between 6'6 or 7 footer. Is there a significant difference between those two lengths?

Looking at a shimano stradic combo. Any other brands that I should be looking at?

Thanks,
-John

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
For casting a 7' might be better. But for a headboat a 6' would be better. If it truly is for utility, 6'6" sounds good to me. Feel free to disagree--I'd be disappointed if someone doesn't.

·
Registered
175 Posts
OK, HuskyMD. If it makes ya feel better I disagree.......Sometimes I don't like compromise. I say get one of each.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
IMHO - A 7' rod might work for the pier and freshwater but is a little light (what pound test were you thinking about?) for headboat fishing.

·
Registered
374 Posts
John,

6'6" sounds like a good compromise especially if your limited in casting space.

If distance is a factor, go with the 7. With the use of braided line, you gain some distance back with a 6'6" rod though.

That Stradic sounds good paired with a St. Croix. :p ;)

Sandcrab, check your PM's

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys for your opinions! I had a life changing experience this weekend. I went to Bass Pro Shop in Baltimore, MD.

It was like heaven! Boats, rods, reels, hooks, huge fish tank, and etc...

Friday night they had Moonlight Madness sale and they were selling their 80 dollar plus rod and reel combo for 20 dollars. People were buying 5 at a time. At first, I had 6 in my hands but at the end of the night I only bought two sevens' due to the fear of my wife's wrath I will face when I come home with 6 rods. Reel has 8 ball bearings!!

Can someone educate me on the importance of ball bearings?

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
More ball bearings help to make you gear mechanisms run smoother. They tend to be expensive, so, the more ball bearings your reel has - the costlier it is ($$$).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts