Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a Daiwa Saltist 30H and a Daiwa 30XSHA. I also have a Abu Garcia 6600(magged).

I'm thinking about getting a couple reels with my tax return.

However, I can't decide what conventional reel to get next.

I'm looking at possibly getting an Avet reel, but can somebody tell me the advantages of them? I guess, if somebody can give me the advantages of getting an Avet over another Daiwa Saltist, it would be much appreciated.

I'm also looking at getting either the Shimano Stradic FI or Daiwa Sealine Black Bite n Run for a spinning reel. Any reviews or recommendations for either of these two?

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
I am assuming you are referencing the Avet SX
- advantages - small 1 peice aluminum frame. Great drags. Awesome line capacity. Super fast. Bulet proof if no holes are drilled to add adjustable mag unless you opt to buy the magic cast version. Great customer service.

- disadvantages - Super fast. A static mag will need to be added to slow em down. Setting the drags on the lever drag can be complex. Its either not enough drag or too much. Sometimes the drag settings can frustrate ya when you are dead sticking. The clicker is on the quiet side. Its a lever drag, I prefer the star drag when fighting a fish.

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
It helps to have a clear idea of what you want out of your next reel.

I like the Avets a bunch, they are nice reels, and if you just want to add "variety" or try something different, the avet is not a bad way to go.

They do use a lever drag system instead of a star drag, which some might not like, but I have had no problems using mine.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Well...depends on what you want. For my money, there are reels out there that will do the same job for less! I guess it depends on what you are willing to pay versus what you will get for the extra money!

·
Registered
998 Posts
one think about Avets. dont get me wrong, i love them, but the tolerances are so tight/perfect that once i was cleaning my SX and put a little oil on the threads of the sideplate screw and when i was tightening the screw it compressed the oil and blew a piece of the metal off the reel. its hard to explain, but think BB gun shooting a window. not a hole but more an inverted cone shape. but yes, i would still recommend the reel.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the reply guys. I think I'm going to head over to Greg's bait shack this weekend and take a look. I'm probably going to end up getting a Stradic FI and Avet SX at the moment.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.