Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering has anyone picked up one of the new abu revo toros yet if so any feed back im really thing bout going and getting that bad boy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Got one for Christmas. Thank you lovely wife. My specific use is to cast a Sardine as far as humanly possible off a Charter in the open ocean. I will not know until this summer how well it preforms. But I can tell you this. It cast like a dream. Hooked on a 7 inch Slugo which pretty much mimicks a Sardine and did some practice casting. With 200 yds of 40lb Daiwa Saumari Spectra and a 70 yd top shot of 17lb Suffix Elite I was getting a consistant 40-45 yds with an occasional 51 yarder mixed in. That is extreme distance for that light of a bait with the excessive wind resistance that bait produces. If I can get
30-35 yards off a cattle boat with a Sardine with no weight I will be extremely happy. So far I have nothing but warm fuzzy feelings about the reel. Very smooth, Strong 15lb drag, high quality build and an excellent cast cast control. The Slugo has lots of wind resistance and it slows down very fast. The Toro handled that beautifully, no thumbing required until touch down.

Walt

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got one for Christmas. Thank you lovely wife. My specific use is to cast a Sardine as far as humanly possible off a Charter in the open ocean. I will not know until this summer how well it preforms. But I can tell you this. It cast like a dream. Hooked on a 7 inch Slugo which pretty much mimicks a Sardine and did some practice casting. With 200 yds of 40lb Daiwa Saumari Spectra and a 70 yd top shot of 17lb Suffix Elite I was getting a consistant 40-45 yds with an occasional 51 yarder mixed in. That is extreme distance for that light of a bait with the excessive wind resistance that bait produces. If I can get
30-35 yards off a cattle boat with a Sardine with no weight I will be extremely happy. So far I have nothing but warm fuzzy feelings about the reel. Very smooth, Strong 15lb drag, high quality build and an excellent cast cast control. The Slugo has lots of wind resistance and it slows down very fast. The Toro handled that beautifully, no thumbing required until touch down.

Walt
dont mean to pick youre brain but how much bigger is it compared to like a regular revo or 6500 5500

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah they hold a crazy amount for a low pro but i was asking if its alot wider or taller then a standard revo i see they are a lil heavier

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi, I have the Toro 50 and have used it only one time so far. I used it to throw 4oz swimbaits at stripers. I was very happy with it, didn't catch any fish on it tho.
I have been using the revo inshore for a couple years now, that reel is solid man! That's what led me to get the Toro.
I have a pic of my Toro next to a Curado 300DSV if you would like to see it. Time permitting I might be able to take a pic of the Toro next to one of my 6500 later tonite.

·
Registered
862 Posts
If you get one I would recommend the standard gear ratio version not the high speed if you are fishing for anything other than mackerel or other high speed fish. I have a Daiwa Coastal inshore that I really like for albacore and such but it is hard to reel slow enough for other species. I also have a low profile Quantum high speed that is 7.xx:1. It is a great reel but very fast for most applications. I use it mainly for throwing lures to blackfin tuna and albacore. I am surprised there are not more people using the low profile reels for inshore fishing. It looks like it is slowly changing though. I would love to get one of the low profile Abus but just dont see the need yet.

John

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have three revo sx s already I think the main reason pepole are not switching over is the diffaculty going from tryin to sling the knot of with a reg55 or 65 to just flipin with the low pros and getting the
same distance someyhing I had trouble with at first

1 - 12 of 12 Posts