Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to do a little distance fishing for blues and stripers, probably 5 - 6 ozs on a 4 - 8 oz StCroix 10.5' rod.

May upgrade rod to lamiglass 11.9'.

Would you go for an ABU 6500 CT MagElite or a Penn 525 Mag ?

What options should I consider for either reel: bearings, drag, upgraded mags?

All opinions appreciated.

Thanks, KM

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Bluesman, don't overlook th Daiwa Slosh 20. Might not throw as well as a 525 but at least it has a great drag.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I have two

ABU 7500 C3CT customs on the Lamiglass 11.9' rods, a better setup you can't ask for. They cast like a dream and will bring in a ship if you get a good hookset. ABU also makes a new 7200 you may want to look into. Hope this helps.... Tightlines

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
not being a "high matinence man myself

the diawa 20 or the penn mag are fine reels,because these two wear like iron.. The drags are silky smoooooth and stay that way for a long time. They both cast superb,and they both have a quicker retrieve than the abu at 6to1 plus.. You can't go wrong with either,and don't have to put a bunch of "aftermarket" drags(smoothies),bearings and such in them to keep them going. I have owned 8 diawa 30's 4 of these are over 7yr old,last yr I finally had to take them to a tackle shop to rebuild drag..:eek:
Not bad for 7yr of use,ask Cdog if they don't get "used and abused".... :D
Not downing the abu,owned several 7000's,6500's,9000's,and 10000's.. Tried the diawas yrs back and once I found out how tough they were,I continued to buy them.. ;)

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I have the 30 and 20.....what do ya think about the Big Game ABU described in thread by sandcrab, ABU sweet new reel...thinkin 'bout levelwind for slingin stings ,hops,krok etc that I currently use spinner for....the R

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
I got soured on ABU

cuz my 6500 has had nothing but problems. However I do have a Big Game 7500 C3CT an I put smoothie drags in it an I like it. Gonna take my 6500 to th shop again an hopefully they'll fix it for good. Talked to a coulpe people this past trip that said they had no problems with their 6500's.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Hmmmmmm....no sense wastin $.....Ill stik with the spinner and keep my thumb educated with tha 20.....beena long time since using a levelwind in salty/adverse conditions and it was a pain in the arse at times back then...the R

·
Registered
472 Posts
Like He said, PENN, no question.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Re: not being a "high matinence man myself

Drumdum said:
.. I have owned 8 diawa 30's 4 of these are over 7yr old,last yr I finally had to take them to a tackle shop to rebuild drag
Bought my first Daiwa last year (30 GW) and already the right side tension know is worthless...

Never had any problems with my ABU's....got a new one on the way too...

Bluesman,

You mentioned long distance casting for blues - did you mean lure fishing? like slinging metal?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Guys:

Great input, I appreciate your experience and help.

Only trouble is now I have to buy one of each! LOL!

I have an ABU 7000 Big Game ( levelwind ) love the reel!

Want to try a reel with no levelwind and with magnets, I'll probably go with the Penn, but the Diawa might be nice.
And like I said I love my ABU.

Really I think you've told me I can't go wrong with quality equipment.

Thanks again,
KM

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
Re: Re: not being a "high matinence man myself

Sandcrab said:
Bought my first Daiwa last year (30 GW) and already the right side tension know is worthless...

Never had any problems with my ABU's....got a new one on the way too..
I know you don't want me to list the problems that caused me to go to Diawa,in the first place,right? :D ABU is a well built reel,just IMHO,some have surpassed it..

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
I own the Penn 525Mag and love it.
I have great reports on the Diawa's and played with a few of the reels.
Abu's are good the drags just suck.
CDog give me a call I may be able to help you with your 6500 since I have serviced mine a few times.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Everybody has their favorites. Heres th thing for me. I'm lazy I get home from a weekend on th OBX an spray my 30's off with water, back th drag off an hang em on th wall. No problems with em since I got em. Th 6500 after one fishing trip sounds like its got sand in th bearings I guess, an needs to go to th shop. Maybe I got a bad one, hopefully if I can ever get it fixed it will change my opinion but for my style th Daiwa's can't be beat.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Re: Re: Re: not being a "high matinence man myself

Drumdum said:
I know you don't want me to list the problems that caused me to go to Diawa,in the first place,right? :D ABU is a well built reel,just IMHO,some have surpassed it..
DD,

I've used a ABU Levelwind 10000CL since I bought it new in 1986. Never had any problems on the beach. All my other ABU's are levelwinds too but used for casting lures. Again, no problems...

Maybe there was a problem with the GW tension knob, maybe it was tightened too tight or whatever - I'll know when I take it apart. Other than that, it's on my 12' OM heaver and casts like a dream and holds hundreds of yards of 15 lb mono! Drag works great too (I know ABU drags bite!) and the high speed retrieve lets me bring in line in a minute.

I have no problems with the Daiwa reels - I just happen to have a problem with mine that I have to look into... This just happens to be my one and only Daiwa that I own. ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts