Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are these reels worth a flip .I have ran across a gun dealer who has some tackle in his catalog.If I am not mistaken I can get this reel fo 89.00
These are the green open top style casting reels with mag cast controll.If I am reading right.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
ABU

This reel is based on the Mag Elite, if I am not mistaken. It has bearings and the same mag style, but I believe it has the ultra cast design, but not the speed bushing that is in the Elite.

If this is indeed that particular reel, it has the same innards as the the rest of the 6500 series and would seem to be a good investment.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It is the ABU Garcia International C3Ct Mag i just rechecked. It is 99.00 dollars. It is the " " CS Mag that is 89.00.I guess i just ordered one. Like I realy needed another surf reel.the cheapest I could find the same reel was at a tackle shop back in east texas.They have 2 and want 110 each for them. There is little call for that type reel in bass fishing country.
The C3 Mag has a level wind. Which one would you pick?I want one to cast lure a long distance in the surf.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'd go with the levelwind version for casting lures. It just makes life easier, especially with braid, and I don't think there is any noticeable loss of distance. I own both a non-levelwind and a levelwind version of the green Abu with magnetic brakes. They're nice reels and easy to cast.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does the level wind run back and forth during the cast on the 6500CS M model?
I was also trying to figure out why the level wind model ( 6500CS M ) would be cheaper thatn the non LW model ( 6500 C3CT_M ).

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yes, the levelwind runs back and forth during the cast on these reels. One possible reason why the levelwind model is cheaper may be that it comes with a dual paddle handle, whereas the non-levelwind model comes with a power handle. Other than the handle and the levelwind I'm not sure that there's any other difference between the two models. Maybe the price difference is just a supply vs. demand issue.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could be.I have wore out many ABU garcias reels.I have a pair of the very first I ever owned.They are 4500c reels.They still work pretty good but have a lot of gear noise.Its hard for me to believe that they still have not reengeneered those reels to disengage the level wind on the cast.Every other reel i own does .I ordered the non level wind model because I was preasured to hurry and make a decision. I called back and changed it tt the level wind model.I hope I will be satisfied with it.I just have a hard time beleving that it will hold up to the riggeres of surf casting on long powerful rods with heavy lure at high speed and log distance.It looks like the level wind would get hot from running back and forth at 10,000 rpms. LOL
We will see.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just revieved an email from ABU that these reels have been discontinued. The only reel shown in the International catagorie is a Morrum.

·
Registered
72 Posts
If you maintain it regularly it should last quite a long time and you can always get spare parts for things like the levelwind pawl that can get worn out over time. My dad has one of those old red Abu 7000 reels and it's still going strong. I've only had my 6500 CS Mag for a couple of months, but I must say I'm very happy with it. I mostly throw artificials in the 3/4 oz - 1 1/2 oz range from shore here in the lower Chesapeake Bay, and occasionally the ocean.

Yeah, the green Abu mag reels seem to have been discontinued. I wouldn't trust the Abu website if I were you though. Overseas they seem to sell reels that don't appear on the website, however, you can get them from some tackleshops that specialize in Abu reels, like Hatteras Outfitters. I believe that the Abu Sports Mag is the successor to the green Mag reel, but I'm not 100% sure. I've only seen it on some UK sites.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I use a C3CT Blue Yonder with Smoothies and a mag cast control fron Hatteras Outfitters. It sings!!

I took Blues and a 26" Puppy Drum from the back side of the bar at Atlantic Beach yesterday. Had to be 200yds.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Hi Adam, The rig was:

30' 50lb shock leader with Bimini Twist
14lb Suffix main line
24" Pulley Rig with one 4/0 Gamakatsu Octopus hook - see
http://www.tackletactics.co.nz/pulleyrigdemo.html
150 gm Breakaway lead
Bait was the middle half of a finger mullet. I estimated that using a whole finger mullet reduced the cast by about 20% as the tail caused it to spiral. I use a treading needle to mount the bait onto a short wire leader.

13' Abu Conolon w/ Abu 6500C3CTBY

Leader to main line knot was a modified Albright. I take each free end and tie in a 3-loop clinch-type knot. I find that this prevents the main line knot unravelling, which has caused me problems in the past. It means the knot is slightly longer, but no thicker than the Albright. One knot lasted me all day. I'll retie next outing.

I use a pendulum cast.

Hope this is useful....

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
It's a "reel" good reel

I have mine loaded with 14 lb test Trilene Inshore on an 8' St Croix (1/2-2 oz) and it works great for fishing IRI (jetty in a pinch) and musky fishing in the Poconos. I can toss a 2 oz Stingsilver forever! ;)

Thinking about loading it with 30 lb test Spiderwire Stealth and see how much more distance I can get with it. Only problem with that is that I do a lot of night fishing with it and untangling a braid "birdsnest" at night is a real bear.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Sandcrab.
Be sure and let me know how the braid works on the reel. I have been pondering on Spooling mine up with some of the new Strn Super Braid.I can'e decide on the test though. I was thinking 30 but I don't know if the drag on these reels will tighten down enough and hold up to a hard run. to get the full benifit of that size line.
Keep me posted

·
Registered
72 Posts
THEGAME,

I recently switched from using #15 mono to #50 Power Pro braid (#12 mono diametrer) on my Abu 6500. I'm sure the reel would work with #30 Power Pro (#8 mono diameter) as well. If you want to go below that, then you should probably use a smaller size reel, like a 5500. Also, think about how much abrasion resistance you need where you fish. I'd say choose the line based on its diameter and don't worry too much about the pound test rating. Like you pointed out, the Abu factory drags leave a lot to be desired.

I've never had a really bad backlash with braid and those that do happen never seem to go as deep as they would with mono. The important thing to remember with braid is that it must be spooled on tight or the line may dig into itself. Also, use a Palomat knot to tie the braid to the swivel.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I usualy use a mono shock leader down here. For casting and abrasion resistance.The fish will hang up and run back and forth on the far side of a sand bar.That works on the power pro pretty bad.I use it on a spinning rig.I understand now that TUF XP is better than power pro and Stren Super braid is better than it.
As for backlashes, I have a suggestion.You know about how far you can cast. Make a long cast and then strip off another few yards . Put a piece of scotch tape across the remaining line on the spool.Reel it back up and start fishing.If you do happen to back lash the tape keeps it from going deep and makes it easier to remove. If you hang a good fish the tape just pulls off when you get to it on the spool.

·
Registered
186 Posts
thegame,
The advantage of braid is its small diameter and sensitivity. If you are using it for its breaking strength then you need to get a rod and reel that are rated for that pound test. Otherwise just set your drag as you would for line rated for taht rod and reel.
Nice tip with taping the spool, I have been considering trying braid and will keep that in mind.
Tight lines and popped riggers

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I use the braided line because of its small dia.In most cases it is better to have a lot of small line than a little big line.For instance. a reel rated at 175 yards of 20#mono will hold close to 300 of 30# power pro ( 8 lb dia )etc.That give you strong line and lots of it to make it through a long run of a strong fish.It gives you time to tire the fish using the rod and drag instead of just the drag.Most of the time if you can keep the fish from spooling you on the first and maybe second hard run, you've got him tired down and caught.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've used superbraid on Abu 6500 reels for a couple of years and like it.

I've tried Berkley Whiplash (now discontinued), PowerPro, Tuf Line XP and Spiderwire Stealth in 20 and 30 lb. test sizes. Of those Whiplash and Tuf Line XP gave me real problems with abrasion and knot strength was not that good. I prefer the way Stealth handles over PowerPro, but both have good abrasion resistance and knot strength. Haven't tried the Stren braid yet.

Give the Aussie Plait a try for doubling braided line. It is an extremely strong, low profile knot that holds up very well to the rigors of long distance casting with heavy sinkers and lures. Takes a while to tie, but I think it's worth the effort. Here's a couple of web sites with instructions on tying the Aussie Plait.

http://www.pakula.com.au/61aussieplait.htm
http://www.leadertec.com/knots_Ausplaid.html

I particularly like the Aussie Plait for use with levelwind reels. Form a long loop using the AP. Then attach your shock leader. Wind the Aussie Plait onto the reel, but leave the shock leader knot outside the levelwind guide. The Aussie Plait has yet to hang up on the levelwind guide in about a year of fishing with this setup. The loop needs to be long enough to tie your shock leader knot and still have enough doubled line to make at least 4 or 5 turns around the spool. Works for me.

Dan

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Dan
I have heard so many different stories on braided line.I hear people say Tuf XP is the best , some say Power pro is.Stern super braid has not been out long enough to get much of a reaction .The only one of the new generation braids i've used is Power Pro. I have it on an okuma Epixor 50 in 30#. the first few month I would have told you it was the best thing sense sliced bread.Something happened to it. I have pulled the line off the spool and reloaded it tight.But I get wind knots in it constantly. I end up having to cut several yards off the reel every trip.I use barrel swivels to keep the line from twisting and it still does it.The one thing I like about it is I can cast close to twice as far with that reel loaded with PP than I can Mono.I can throw a 2 oz weight well over 100 yards with it and about 70 with mono.It just comes off the reel smoother.I want to try some Stren Super braid but I just can't make myself give close to 30 bucks for 300 yards of fishing line.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts