Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been out of the forum for a few years and really haven't done anything with reels except fish. I recently started messing with my Abu junk drawer and decided to build a "Franken" reel from the parts that were there. I didn't have it all so I started looking of Fleabay and other providers and got a real shock as the the higher asking prices for parts and reels.

what happened?

Less than four years ago, you could get a side plate for a few bucks and now they go for $25. Spools and other components are very hard to find. Moreover, actual complete reels are going for a premium. Is this COVID related or just the demand has outstripped what is available.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
Perfect storm of more people fishing, less being made due to Covid, plus stimulus check money. Most collectables are going nuts.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well if I could let go of some, I would be rich. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Everything is getting scarce nowadays. I have a couple of mint Shimano Curado 300 EJ's and Chronarch 200E7's that would fetch pretty good money on the market when I am ready to sell them. Not yet though...

·
Registered
945 Posts
I think with ABU being bought by Pure Fishing too, it made folks concerned that parts for the older reels would become scare, like they can be with Penn reels. I use several Abu reels and many are older, made in the 70's in Sweden and my thought has been exactly that when I had read that Pure Fishing had bought ABU. All they will do is start making changes, cheapen the product and make it more difficult to get parts for older reels. They've applied that same approach to every brand that they own. All Covid did was help them with that situation.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I've been thinking of getting an older Abu 6500 c4 and have been surprised at how much they are going for. Not opposed to paying what one's worth, but don't really want to pay more than I feel it is worth. But guess it is worth what they can get for it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Everything has gone wild. Seller's market all day.

Manufacturers aren't keeping up with demand for various reasons, consumers are flush with cash, it's a perfect storm. First time I've ever seen it where some businesses are on limited hours, or closing outright for days a time, because they can't find people to work.

I've got a pile of stuff I'm about to unload on eBay, and stow the money away for when it all comes crashing down.

First thing I'm gonna stock up on is .30-30 ammo, because as of right now I'm not going to be able to use mine next deer season.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well my “Frankenstein” reel turned out fantastic. I bought a CT cage from England and had an old Rocket Reel mono mag left side plate and made a 6500 left side plate from a 6600. Added carbonex washers and ABEC 5 bearings. A full load of 15# line will spin for about a minute with the mag off and just a few with it on, so it is controllable. I will post a pic tomorrow

Reactions: bigjim5589
1 - 8 of 8 Posts