Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at Bass Pro Shops and I seen the Abu Big Game series there;the 10,000 and the 7000 reels.They're on sale too for $109.00.I'm going to get me the 10000 and put it on my OM.I might even spool it up with #65-#80lb Power Pro.Its bigger than my 7000 C3;one hell of reel.:jawdrop:

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Hey Pappy

JMHO but I have had both th 10000 an now I have a 7500 Big Game. Th 7000 series will outcast th 10000. But I can't cast worth chit anyway, :D

·
Registered
337 Posts
are these both levelwinds?
how much line do you fit on either? I have a 6500 and I have about 75 yds of 20 big game and 150yds of 50 power pro.

todd

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Todd, both are non level wind. Th 7500 I have I can get I think about 250 or so yrds of 20# BBG.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Thanks,

Don't think I'll be spending another $109 on a reel anytime soon. I am still saving for a nice heaver. have my eye on the solaris 12'.

todd

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Will hold my final opinion till after I fish it next weekend but th OM is a [email protected] of alot lighter than I figured a 6-12oz rod would be. An at $120 ya should get ya monies worth. Will let ya know how it does if I don't see ya. :D

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ticas,or Oceanmasters are the best.The 12' Tica(4-12oz) is good for 8n bait but;I would buy a 12' Oceanmaster(6-12oz)conventional rod.The Oceanmaster will not load up unless you throw 12oz of lead or more but it can cast a 5oz sinker real far if you put power into your cast.You also never know when you'll have to use 12n bait.I like that Tica I mentioned in a Spinning.But both will get you buy.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Yeah, you are right Pappy. I have always said I would not fish if it took more than 8 to hold, but my last trip down, I had to borrow a 10 from CDog to hold bottom. My Lami handled it pretty well, but I don't have enought muscle to really power cast anyway, so I can lob it with a Tica. Anyway I catched a few fish in those conditions, so you don't always haf to cast a long ways.
BTW I caught all my fish on a 10' Tica spinning rod with 17# test. I fished two convential heavers the whole time and never got a nibble on either. I am thinking about selling my Sl30SH and Tica combo and getting another spinning outfit. Anybody want to trade?

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
If I had to do it all over again..

I have the ABU 10000CL (levelwind) and paid $150 for it when I got it new in 1986. Good reel - monster line capacity - holds 400 yds of 30 lb test.

I also have the 12' conventional heavy (6-12 oz) OM rod. The rod needs 6 oz to load - might want to consider that if you plan on using the rod on piers or in the bay. It is not that sensitive for feeling bites though...my Ugly has a more sensitive tip than it does.

My recommendation is to look into the 12' Tica heavers and the smaller ABU reel (7000) or another reel...like the Penn 525 Mag. The combo of the ABU and the OM are one heavy setup for fishing OVER 6 oz consistently.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Yeah DD, I don't know what it is, but I seem to catch more fish on my spinning rod. I throw convential and spinning about the same( not far) but get more fish on the spinner. I ordered another spinning reel yesterday, now looking for a rod.
BTW I just sent you an email about a room next weekend. Can't pass up a chance to fish with CDog again. He brings me good luck>:) I'll probaly see you guys on the beach somewhere next weekend room or not. I can pretty much live in my old Land Cruiser for a couple of days.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I placed an order out for the Big Game 10,000 levelwind and I plan to use it on my OM broomstick for them Drummies,Stripers,etc.They were out of them at the store because they just started getting them but I got one on special order.It should be comming in in one mounth.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Watch that shocker knot!

HaPPyPapPy832443 said:
I placed an order out for the Big Game 10,000 levelwind and I plan to use it on my OM broomstick for them Drummies,Stripers,etc.They were out of them at the store because they just started getting them but I got one on special order.It should be comming in in one mounth.
Pappy,

Make sure you can tie a good, small shocker knot with the 10,000CL reel as it is a levelwind...

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know what I'm gettin myself into wit levelwinds

I won't need to I'm using 65-80lb Power Pro;I can cast 6ozs on 30lb Fireline with no problem.But If I heave a 12oz n bait I have to consider what you said about using a shock leader with a smalll knot.I've used the albright knot with 100lb lest Power Pro or 5' 100lb mono leader for the shocker with no problem.In the future if I get used to conventionals I might consider getting a non levelwind reel like the Penn 525 Tmag(the one I would get).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts