Pier and Surf Forum banner

ABU 6500/7000 UPGRADES

7K views 36 replies 9 participants last post by  uflytyer 
#1 ·
As a new member here, I would like to first say hello to everyone and thank you for letting me join your Community!
I’m looking to get everyone’s opinions on what they feel would be the best upgrades/modifications on these Abus!
Any of these applications will be more geared towards fishing but also used on the field as well!
I have done some research on the web, and some other forums and this one as well. But not but everybody’s tricks of the trade are always readily available! So maybe, I thought I could get a new thread going here!
Any Info, pictures or detailed explanations would be highly appreciated!
Many thanks in advance!
EA

Discussion starter · #12 ·
@Thorhammer
Nothing‘s cheap anymore LOL!
Thanks for replying brother!
Oh no definitely not looking to go down the rabbit hole especially with over 30 casting reels now!
I would like to be able to tune and clean them better!
I know I can get better performance out of these reels
I have Abus from 4600AL Mag Trax on up to 7000iC3CT Mags, mostly Swedish Abus though 5000,5600,6000,6500,7000!
Also have a few Akios,Avets,Squalls,Fathoms,525’s, Mag Powers 970,980,990 Saltist, Sealine’s,Tica’s!
I’ve just seen some videos recently of some really killer Abus, both free Spinning while mounted and being casted on the field!
The whole reason I got involved with revolvers,thanks to BeachBob lol!
I was looking for much better distance, more cranking power and ease of casting due to neck and back injuries!
I’ve had some other people tell me it’s not worth doing a bearing in the idler wheel or the level wind!
So you’re suggesting it,so obviously you recommend it and I’m Going to give it a try and see what happens
How about polishing axles and surfaces where there will be friction?

EA

Discussion starter · #16 ·
I purchased a few of the single bearing oscillation cog wheels from Omoto. Hookless (in Florida) makes them with double bearings. The double bearings provide better stability for the cog wheel. Hookless also has ceramic pawls to replace the pawl associated with the worm gear. It is my understanding that Hookless has closed his repair service but continues to sell parts.

Regarding bearings for the worm gear, the Chief Xtreme 530CX and 630 CX level wind reel worm gears come standard with two stainless steel ball bearings.

Don

EA

Discussion starter · #19 ·
I’ve been all over the place with these reel mods!
But, if anybody would like to do a cheap Abu CS to CT frame bar conversion?
I found that the frame posts from a Penn no.77 or a no.109, fit quite nicely on an Abu 6500 frame, with a few little washers, and a little filing!
Anymore, I’m starting to think, I’m just going to make alot my own parts, if I can do so without defeating the main purpose, to save time and money!
Not to mention, it’s just so much more rewarding when you make these parts yourself and they actually perform like they’re supposed to!

EA

Discussion starter · #20 ·
I purchased a few of the single bearing oscillation cog wheels from Omoto. Hookless (in Florida) makes them with double bearings. The double bearings provide better stability for the cog wheel. Hookless also has ceramic pawls to replace the pawl associated with the worm gear. It is my understanding that Hookless has closed his repair service but continues to sell parts.

Regarding bearings for the worm gear, the Chief Xtreme 530CX and 630 CX level wind reel worm gears come standard with two stainless steel ball bearings.

Don
Hey Don!
I was curious, if you know if the Omoto level winds will fit on the Abu cages?
I do believe that I saw several videos where the Akios cog wheels are interchangeable with Abu’s!
I would like to be able to figure out what brand parts are most interchangeable with Abu’s!
Thinking about grabbing an Omoto, and trying one out!
But honestly, if there not close at all, then I really don’t want to go down that path?
One of these brands, hopefully is more compatible with one, more than the other!

EA

Discussion starter · #22 ·
Hi EA,

Sorry to be slow in responding. Sometimes work can be excessive.

" I was curious, if you know if the Omoto level winds will fit on the Abu cages? "

Omoto manufactured the ABU Ambassadeur reels for several years. One difference between the Omoto and ABU is the bolt patterns for joining the side plates to the cage. Since Omoto manufactures reels for Akios the bolt patterns will be the same for the Omoto Chief / Akios S-Line and Omoto Chief Xtreme / Akios Shuttle.

Some time ago I asked Omoto about the compatibility between ABU and Omoto and was told it is 90%.

I am not sure that I answered your question. A lot will depend on year manufactured, company, and models.

Don
Hey Don, no biggie like the pun there as well lol
Kinda, sort of lol!
Although, I do love my Abu Garcia’s reels a plenty’
I also have Akios reels, but have been looking at the Omoto reels for a while too!
Last thing I need, is a third brand possibly requiring even more revolver parts laying around!
But, if I could swap my all Akios/Omoto parts around, I think I would be more inclined to try out some Omoto’s!
I just have too many different year Abus, which makes it overwhelming and annoying sometimes, because alot of the parts are really not interchangeable!
So, I was hoping to hear, most parts would be interchangeable as well!
Thank You Sir!

EA

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.