Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
I saw some guys doing that on south beach Wed and Thu last week. They were having fantastic results. Wish I had the guts to try it.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Someone was doing that here in GA last year and was pulling in 12' sharks. Consequently he was banned from the pier. However it is quite useful when you don't have very deep water near the pier, or when you can't hit the deep stuff with the heaver.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Using a kayak to take your baits out an drop em off. Talked to a guy that did it for sharks last summer an his buddy was hooked up before he got back in.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Carrying bait out using a kayak. You can also use balloons or trashbags as long as the wind is off-shore.

D

·
0 Posts
Or kites...I think jenettes lets you kite fish after dark...not sure which one. People use a kite with a breakaway hooked to it...fishing tuna heads way out for sharks.

If your going to yak out their with the bait...why not stay and fish from the yak?

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Double Haul,just a guess,cause I ain't a yaker,if you hook up with a large fish you get "towed around" in a yak.. If you are standing on shore,you can actually put much more pressure on the fish,while being in a much more stable possition ;) as well as land him much quicker,that's my theory anyway..
I would think it much more efficent at getting the bait to the "exact" hole that you wanted it.. Kites and trashbags ain't got that kind of accuracy,have tryed both.. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Can you picture some fool hookin into a 70 lb cobia in a "Yak". I'd have too stop fishing, crack a beer and enjoy the show. at least for as long as he was still in sight :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Looks like a nice shark. I guess you could do it if you anchored it down real well. Don't know if I would have thrown that in my Kayak though :eek:

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
No way that shark was alive when he got that thing in the yak.Would love to have seen the show from top to bottom.Had to of pulled him all over the pond. the R

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Yeah you can tell he speared it a few times but I have heard many a stories when people have caught sharks and thought they were dead and started to play around with them. And then CHOMP!! There goes a hand, toes or fingers. You've got to remember there is still nerves firing even up to 24 hours after death and if you play around in the mouth then you are bound to get bitten. :eek:

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
yea I will second that, i was cleaning a flounder a week or two ago that was dead and in the cooler for at least two hrs. in the process of cleaning one of my fingers slipped into his mouth and bang I was bit and bleeding, I think we exchanged a little blood. hmm I guess Im part flounder now

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
You can see three fingers on his right hand were taken off at the knuckle!! the R

1 - 15 of 15 Posts