Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question is, "can we use 4' x 8' subflooring material to cover the exterior windows?" The type I am talking about is the type that looks like chips of wood pressed together. Will this stuff hold in rain and wind or will it swell up and fall apart? We don't have plywood.

Also another question about the electrical power to the house. Should we cut off the circuit breaker box that's on the inside of the house or is it best to cut off the main switch in that little gray box with the thick pipe covered cable that's on the outside of the house?

Thanks guys!
Thrifty

Good Luck Everyone!

·
Registered
32 Posts
securing the house

Thrifty,
Plywood would be my first choice but sometimes you have to work with what you have.
If subflooring is all you can get use it as long as it is not the filmsy stuff it should work. Would consider slapping a quick coat of paint on it just to help it hold up better.As far as the power if you are not going to be there I would turn off the power at the main box that way there is less danger to you and your house. Good Luck and be safe.

·
Registered
196 Posts
The sub-flooring (wafer or chip board) should hold up through the rain for the duration of the heavy winds. No, it's not as strong as plywood but should be strong enough.

As luv2fish said, a quick coat of paint couldn't hurt. It may allow you to resuse the stuff at a later date, hopefully not for a hurricane!:D

Yes, if you are leaving cut off the power outside the house if you have a disconnect switch there.

If you are staying...some recommendations are to cut off the power inside the house at the breaker box using the Main switch. Also some say to open all the breakers except for one to power some lights, etc. in a limited area during the heavy portions of the storm.

YMMV...be safe!

·
Registered
823 Posts
PLYWOOD IS FIRST CHOICE. i cut the water and gas off at my place at topsail and i even pulled the electric meter....... dont try that if ya dont know how.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips everyone

My thrifty arse gave in and bought plywood. Heck the subflooring stuff was only a buck cheaper than the plywood. That I don't figure. But I'm sure the home supply store know what there're doing.

Anyway.....wasn't too bad though. At $16.00 per sheet x 22 windows and doors =:jawdrop:. I think I'm gonna be sick.:barf:
Hopefully this investment will pay off so I will be able to use my own bathroom for that once Izzy is outta here.

Again thanks everyone. We are not sure whether we will stay. Looks like it may hit lower than earlier predicted. But we are still in for a whallop. Va is gonna be on the least favorable side when she comes thru. If we're told we need to go, we will. It's more or less....wait and see.

Special thanks for the info about the electrical current. I'll just flip the switch.

Take care all........and do be safe.

BTW: I'm gonna head to the creek around the corner today to see what's taking shelter in the calmer waters here. That's after I pick all the splinters from my fingers. Wonder if a size 4 hook will be big enough to take the splinters out. Oops I'm out of that size. All I see are size 4/0's. Ooh, ouch. Now where did I put those Band-Aids.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts