Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have recently done a search,but not found what i was looking so maybe someone could help me. i have used braid before on the pier for flounder(don`t remeber brand 15 lb. test). the problem i was having was that i was using a carolina rig and everytime i pulled it in the weight and leader was wrapped up around the line. don`t know if it was the current, not enough weight or what,but the mono never did that. so i would like to try braid again but maybe i am doing something wrong.can anyone help me.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Braid with bottom rigs is a real pain in the azz. The only way around the problem of the line tangling like that is to use a real long mono leader tied with a line to line knot like a uni to uni.

I've some success also with braid to a swivel with a short line of mono with a sliding sinker then another swivel and my final leader and hook for snapper, grunts, sheepies and other bottom fish in certain areas.

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
I put the weight in the mono section, otherwise, I get the exact same problem. One of the downsides to braid.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
I definitely have less trouble using a fishfinder rig with mono mainline. I have one setup with 30 lb braid that I'll occasionally throw a fishfinder rig on. I've noticed with dead bait I get it wrapped maybe 50% of the time. Put a live eel on there and you'll find yourself with a hell of a mess if you're not careful!!:eek: When using a fishfinder rig, I'd definitely rather use mono..

·
Registered
129 Posts
I run into the same problem, and also have had it happen when using a steel leader with braid. I really like braid because of its zero stretch and sensitivity (I can feel my sinker dragging across the bottom) and its toughness, but if it wraps up with a mono or fluoro leader and i get a good hookup, it'll cut the leader like butter.
With a good, sharp circle hook I don't need to worry about mono line's stretch interfering with a good hookset. No hookset required...Sure, it might abrade more quickly around rocks, but hey, dookie happens...I'm leaning more and more toward going back to a mono or fluoro mainline for my fishfinder/c-rigs unless I really need the thinner diameter of braid.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have found a few solutions for this when bottom fishing. But it took some study on the why's and when's to it happening.

On incoming tides it seemed more prevelant. Makes sense when using a carolina set up. The weight is the base point not moving and the bait floats back towards you getting tangled up with your main line. Also when the current is strong moving north or south, some weights will roll causing the twisting. (Most prevelant cause) Then there is the cast which the twisting occurs in flight.

In all cases you can cut down the twisting effects by A) using a stiffer line on the hook, B)using a long (25 ft. shock leader), and C) using a weight that will not roll. IE. spundtnik style weight.

While these methods will not eliminate all the twisting, it did cut down 95% of it. Besides, you dont really want a weight sliding up and down on your braid line. It wears it down too fast do to the low abraision aspects of braid.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I use braid on a carolina rig for flounder and sheepshead under the pier to reduce break-offs. To get around the problem you are having I put about 4 feet of comparable or slightly heavier test fluoro uni-to-uni'ed to the end of my braid. The end of the fluoro ties to my swivel which then attaches to my leader/bait. The sinker slides around on the 4 feet of fluoro and doesn't tangle.

·
Registered
50 Posts
HDW2's explanation is spot on. Another thing you can do is to try a rig with the weight at the bottom. But do what everyone else is saying with a heavy mono leader and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Use the Carolina rig. Tie on after you have slid on an egg sinker and then a bead in that order. Then tie on a barrel swivel using a uni knot all this coming from the main line. Now tie on the desired length of leader material to the other and of the barrel swivel and then the desired hook of choice. There you have it in a nutshell.

Yes even mono will wrap around an egg sinker. Both the main line and the leader material.

Hope this helps

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.