Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems there is a whole bunch.....everywhere. Is this normal for so many to be in the local waters this time of year?

Secondly....what is a skates natural enemy (not meaning man)? Cause something out there is definitely not doing it's job when this many are being caught. It will make for a bad fishing year if there remains an abundance of them.

It'll be a good year though for tackle shops. Cause a lot of pier nets will probably be sold. Not sure how many people are going to be willing to keep cutting and losing fishing hook after fishing hook to these sea creatures.

Thanks!

·
Registered
43 Posts
get used to reeling them in and unhooking them. seems that early every year before the big fish move into the bay you get your arms in shape bye reeling in these flat fish. when they are hitting hot if you get a small hit and nothing for awile you have been victomized by the clearnose nusance. ( they are good to eat bye the way just a pain to clean). hope to see some bigger sharks in the bay this year, to thin down on the amount of ray's and skates!!! :p :p :D

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Yeah I hate skates and rays too,but they serve a vital roll in the aquatic food chain,so don't "skater and ray hate".

I had the same problem too,with hooking up with rays and skates,while bottom fishing,so through patience and bait jumping,I will try to throw a bait that I think a ray won't eat,and the targeted species I am fishing for will.
I used to have the problem of rays and skates tearing me up when I used squid or old smelly mullet,especially in Skate-Bridge.Bu when I started to use freshly caught or bought bait like fresh peelers,sandfleas,or bunker(spot,va mullet,or finger mullet)The targeed species I was fishing for would hit.I am not saying or proving this method works a hundred percent of the time,but fresh or different bait makes a difference from catching a lowly botom feeder or a 40 inch red drum.
I have also done a way from using double bottom rigs,especially for fishing for big fish.I would use fish finder rigs or lures(soft and hard plastics,metals).
I don't try to entice rays and skates to a free buffet,so I cast and jig liures,while soaking basit on another rod.You might not catch croakers,spot or any other small bottom feeders,casting lures,but your chances of catching a ray or skate really decreases.Skates and rays just want a free,easy meal......Yummy a double bottom rig with 2 peices of squid!!!!!!!!!

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nserch4Drum

Guess you're still in venting mode. :rolleyes:

You might want to make an exception to that rule about not using smelly bait. Not to attract skate and rays, but to chase fishing space intruders further down the beach. :p

BTW: it might not be a good idea to answer the next knock at your door. It just might be a PETA recruiter who wants to sign you up. ;)

·
Registered
374 Posts
Beware, those rays will hit your jigs, plastics and spoons too, especially those Storm WildEyes. I find the best way to avoid them is tossing large topwater plugs. :p Sometimes if the population is thick, you might end up fowl-hooking them when they are cruising just below or right on the surface.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts