Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Calling all surf vets,

I've been considering buying a 525 mag but I'm a little undecided on the type of surf rod to put it on. I fish a lot of piers and surf fish seldomly, which I'm trying to change come spring time. I want to be able to use different rigs and wieghts. plus I want to be able to cast a considerable distance. I picked up a 10' st. croix a couple of weeks ago after you guys helped prioritized and I'm happy with that but I'm breaking on to a new path with conventional gear. So if u guys can throw some of your favorites and why it would be greatly apreciated.

thanks,
Chesapeake

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
OM 12 lite or Heavy. There s a few floating around in the Marketplace
HDX
Tica
Daiwa
Penn

And you did mean ' ROD FOR 525 MAG '

All these rods can be found at a great deal at Greg's Bait Shack!

·
Registered
192 Posts
i used alot of conventional reels in my day and i think the 525 mag is one of my favorites,its hard to blow the dang thing up,only set back is i cast the thing to far not leaving much line on the spool which gives the fish a better chance spooling me,the diawia shv 30 is sweet too,wide spool, holds alot of line, and cast smooth,but i still like casting the 525 better.ive been spooled with the 525 over 6 times from the beach.I BREAK EM OFF BEFORE I LET EM SPOOL ME,IM THINKING BIG BULL SHARKS MATING IN THE SHALLOWS OFF SANDBRIDGE,DONT KNOW WHAT THEY ARE.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i used alot of conventional reels in my day and i think the 525 mag is one of my favorites,its hard to blow the dang thing up,only set back is i cast the thing to far not leaving much line on the spool which gives the fish a better chance spooling me,the diawia shv 30 is sweet too,wide spool, holds alot of line, and cast smooth,but i still like casting the 525 better.ive been spooled with the 525 over 6 times from the beach.I BREAK EM OFF BEFORE I LET EM SPOOL ME,IM THINKING BIG BULL SHARKS MATING IN THE SHALLOWS OFF SANDBRIDGE,DONT KNOW WHAT THEY ARE.
does your mag have the conversion or is that really necesary?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I have a 525 on a Diawa Emcast Surf, 11ft and a 10ft Tsunami. They work great.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Depends on what you mean by "conversion". If you mean adding extra mags under the carrier, then NO, not necessary in my opinion. If you mean adding a "knobby" conversion, then, by all means, YES!

I've got both of them, knobby and slider and I'm darn near positive I like the slider better as it stays out of the way... the knobby makes it difficult to palm the reel... granted the knobby is indexed with the click in the knob but I still think I'm likeing the slider better...

and the sealer on this deal is they both have 4 magnets... :cool:

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I've got both of them, knobby and slider and I'm darn near positive I like the slider better as it stays out of the way... the knobby makes it difficult to palm the reel... granted the knobby is indexed with the click in the knob but I still think I'm likeing the slider better...

and the sealer on this deal is they both have 4 magnets... :cool:

The knobby only gets in your way cuz your paws look like vienna sausages sticking outa pork butt. :p The rest of us have normal hands..!!:)

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
HAHAHAHA That's funny right there.

Back to the question onhand though I have the 525 with the knobby and it does not get in my way. I think it really depends on your winding style.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts