Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There will be a fishing tournament next spring running through the end of June for P&S members only.

Species: King Mackerel & Cobia

Rules: The fish have to be caught from the surf or off of a pier. Pictures must be submitted to myself and sand flea for judging. Pictures must include the fish along side of a tape measure showing actual length of fish. All entries must be submitted before July 1st 12:00am EST. This is not limited to people in NC, SC, Georgia, and Florida. Anyone willing to drive and take a chance at catching a big king or cobia can enter :) Good Luck to all.

The two people with the largest Cobias and the two people with the largest king mackerels will get a free gulf stream trip in July fishing for dolphin, wahoo, tuna, mackerel, albacore, ect. aboard my boat (27' Grady White Sailfish). All rods, tackle, and bait will be provided for the trip. Winners are responsible for their own place to stay in or around Southport, NC. The trip will run from 7am till whenever we stop catching fish or run out of live baits :D

I know spring is a few months away but I like to be prepared for when the fish get here :D

If there's anything i left out please let me know.

Tight Lines!

Tim

·
Registered
830 Posts
I saw quite a few people running bait out with a kayak or a surf board and then fishing from the sand. They were very sucessful at this on cobia last year. Would this count as the fish are fought and landed on the sand.
I am really temped to try it. Do you think a 60 year old man can learn to paddle in the surf.

Ken

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Ken, just find a young guy that wants to show off take your bait out for ya! :D

Very nice deal Sharkbite. I got skunked this yr on cobes but I'll be back out trying next yr for sure.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Yeah that sounds like a good deal. Next year I plan on making a few trips down to va beach and try for mr. brown:D

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Darn...its hard enuf to get through Feb,March as it is......thanks guys!!!Very generous!!....the R

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Thank goodness I already have my rigging techniques down pat. Somehow I think I'm going to be spending most of my spring on the pier.:D

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Wow this is really generous. Wish I wasn't a MD resident. Looks like I'm gonna have to make a few trips south for Mr. Cobia, but I would settle for a king as well.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
i'll definitely be in on this one

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Sharkbite, very kind of you, but why did you wait until I started making arrangements this fall for KDH (gotta see the R's horn?:) ). Now you are gonna make me have to arrange a southern swing this spring :cool: , oh well guess all I need is an excuse, and if that fails a reason.

Have Jeep will travel. :D

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Kenmefish, yes that would still be ok if someone swam the bait out for ya. Although you may want to check with local laws i think in some places they have banned people taking baits out on yaks. Why i have no idea but it's better safe then sorry. I wouldn't see it being any different then kite fishing from the beach.

CDog: I got skunked on cobes this year as well unless you want to count the one i lost at the pier this year. Oh well an in all it was a great year of fishing and a lot of firsts for me. Got my first king, first spanish, first pompano, first big bluefish which was my first fish on a trolley setup. Definately a great year and it's not over. Going to be out on the water this weekend fishing for mr king. from what i hear the smaller ones taste better so i'll take what i can get.

From what I hear the bluefin tuna should be showing up offshore soon. Once i get my federal permits i'll be headed out for 'em. There has already been a few reports of marlin being caught out in the gulf stream :D Can't wait to get out there.

Tight Lines!

Tim

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Sharkbite, that 27 Grady Sail is one sweeeet ride. There's a couple of them in my section of the Chesapeake Bay up around Annapolis. Never fished for Cobes and Kings, none up here. Looks like a road trip is in order this Spring. Perhaps we can get a small group of TF'ers together and head your way.

Catman.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
She was a bit expensive but well worth it :)

Rules update: Only P&S members registered before Fedbruary 1, 2004 can enter.

I've not specifically targeted cobes but we get 'em while we're king fishin out on the end. For those that come down to king fish and don't like crowds you may want to stick to coming down during the week. When the kings are runnin, i've seen every spot taken up (50-60 spots) out on the T.

This is a little off the subject but here's a picture of a 4lbs trout I caught off the pier on a gotcha while fishin for bait :D

Tight Lines!

Tim

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

They'll be on the beaches in no time :) First report of 'em this year was may 7th.

Tight Lines!

Tim

·
Registered
112 Posts
Will the tournament be rated by pounds or fish? You need to count tarpon and some shark species in there to make it interesting. I guess king mack. are out of the question for y'all surf fishers. You need to come up on the pier where its dry and give your luck a try at king rigging:D

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
To make it easy we'll go by length. Not everyone hauls a certified scale out on the sand with 'em :D Those king fishin remember to get a pic with the measurment before ya toss it in the cooler (shrinkage).

As far as the other species, tarpon aren't all that comon off the piers atleast around where I fish and only have two species with 4 winners makes it a little more interesting and betters everyones chances to win.

P.S. Rules update: Each angler can only win once, after the biggest fish is decided the second winner in both catagories will go to the next person in line with the biggest fish unless it is the same person then it will go on down the line. (kinda confusing)
In case of a tie the fish submitted first will win.

Tight Lines

Tim

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
this still going on?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yep :) been workin a lot lately, and had a few family probs a while back, but it's still on :) Had to resell the grady to pay for daughters dr bills but I got a 21' cobia that'll handle the water well, may move it from southport to morehead city were the gulf is a little closer to shore, I've had her 40 miles out a few times this year and she handles sweet and moves fast w/ a 200hp johnson :D

Will keep everyone updated as to the final location so arrangements for the winners can be made.

Tight Lines

Tim

1 - 18 of 18 Posts