Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I just started using an old sealine 250smf that my father handed down to me. I've got 20lb big game on it. Will going down to 15lb give me way more distance? I'm just wondering if it's worth the trade off. I'm brand new to conventional reels and have always been hesitant but I am loving this thing Thanks fellas馃嵒

Registered
So I just started using an old sealine 250smf that my father handed down to me. I've got 20lb big game on it. Will going down to 15lb give me way more distance? I'm just wondering if it's worth the trade off. I'm brand new to conventional reels and have always been hesitant but I am loving this thing Thanks fellas馃嵒
You'd be better off staying with 20# and a 50# shock leader... Keep the mag at full while you are learning to cast...Still no guarantee you wont blow up. The Magforce reels were daiwas first attempt at making a magged surfcasting reel. That thing is about the size of a Penn Jigmaster. The retrieve will be slow. My suggestion to you is not worry about distance until you become proficient in your casting abilites. What kind of rod will you be using to cast with and what is its lure rating and length?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can cast it pretty damn far haha. Mag is all the way off. I was wondering if I would get more distance with 15. Thanks guys

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I'll just experiment. I lost a nice fish earlier this year because
I didn't take garbomans shockleader knot advice and I had a 3 turn surgeons knot. Broke me off at the knot. That was on a 15lb big game mainline on a spinner. Ive since learned the Bimini twist.

Registered
Man, if it were me I'd try n find more spools, have a 20, 17, n.15lb spool, throwing w/ mags off n getting plenty of yards is real good, but don't push it! Try 17 lb test. Yes 15 lb test should get you more distance, but.i would start w/ mags fully engaged at.first

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Man, if it were me I'd try n find more spools, have a 20, 17, n.15lb spool, throwing w/ mags off n getting plenty of yards is real good, but don't push it! Try 17 lb test. Yes 15 lb test should get you more distance, but.i would start w/ mags fully engaged at.first
Appreciate the advice. I'm going to stick with the 20 for a little while longer. I definitely blew it up pretty good this afternoon. I knew I was pushing it. Thankfully I was able to pick it out because I didn't have any line with me.

Registered
One of the reasons you're blowing up is you are keeping the mags off, plus what kind of rod are you throwing..lure rating
what is at the end of your line that you are casting with i.e. sinker weight.
Your concept of distance and mine might be completely different.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One of the reasons you're blowing up is you are keeping the mags off, plus what kind of rod are you throwing..lure rating
what is at the end of your line that you are casting with i.e. sinker weight.
Your concept of distance and mine might be completely different.
I've got it on a cheapo Penn heaver rated 10oz. Throwing 8oz and half a finger mullet on a cannonball rig... I'm not having trouble with the reel blowing up I was just wondering about line diameter making a difference. ive fished with it at night a couple of times no prob. For distance Im getting about the same as my spinning heavers that have braid on them with much less effort. Thx

Registered
I've got it on a cheapo Penn heaver rated 10oz. Throwing 8oz and half a finger mullet on a cannonball rig... I'm not having trouble with the reel blowing up I was just wondering about line diameter making a difference. ive fished with it at night a couple of times no prob. For distance Im getting about the same as my spinning heavers that have braid on them with much less effort. Thx
Elcheapo WHAT? Prevail, battalion if its the medium 12 ft drop back and cast 7 ounces.. Swell and wind isn't bad today..Should hld fine... usually 2-3 ounces off the max lure weight is the sweet spot. Well If you aren't blowing up then "let it rip tater chip"

BBG is .38 mm on their 15 and .45 on the 20...Man I dont know how far you cast a spinner so for me to tell you that it would make a significant improvement would be a lie. Typically my cast is further when I drop diameter. But your reel is a beast of a reel and it takes a lot to make it spin and get out there. It seems you are looking for approval. So if you're happy with it using 20 and want see what it will do then go for it.. BBG is cheap good line.

Registered
If you know your current optimum casting distance with a specific rod, reel and line for a given lure weight then try this: walk off that distance and add 25 yards to it then mark it on your line with a piece of electricians tape across the spools width (we鈥檒l assume it鈥檚 a conventional reel here to start).. We鈥檒l call this your distance improvement marker. This is the distance you will work towards increasing your casting distance without a blowup. It鈥檚 also the safe amount of line you can safely blowup on your spool! Gradually increase this distance by changing the location of the tape on the spool whatever safe progressive distance increase you are comfortable with, here I used 25 yards but it can be whatever safe distance you don鈥檛 mind having to pick apart your line blowups as you progress beyond your current optimum casting distance and improve. This is best done on a grass surface so you can check your distance on each cast. This method works. I鈥檝e used it successfully for years to improve my casting technique, distance and equipment performance and you might want to try it also if you鈥檙e not happy with your casting prowess. Good luck!

Registered
..... mark it on your line with a piece of electricians tape across the spools width ......
A pretty neat Idea. If balance is important to you, you might also apply an equal size piece of tape directly opposite of the first. Or, make 1 complete wrap of the spool over the leaving line. That will maintain a balanced spool ... if it was balanced to begin with.
2C

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you know your current optimum casting distance with a specific rod, reel and line for a given lure weight then try this: walk off that distance and add 25 yards to it then mark it on your line with a piece of electricians tape across the spools width (we鈥檒l assume it鈥檚 a conventional reel here to start).. We鈥檒l call this your distance improvement marker. This is the distance you will work towards increasing your casting distance without a blowup. It鈥檚 also the safe amount of line you can safely blowup on your spool! Gradually increase this distance by changing the location of the tape on the spool whatever safe progressive distance increase you are comfortable with, here I used 25 yards but it can be whatever safe distance you don鈥檛 mind having to pick apart your line blowups as you progress beyond your current optimum casting distance and improve. This is best done on a grass surface so you can check your distance on each cast. This method works. I鈥檝e used it successfully for years to improve my casting technique, distance and equipment performance and you might want to try it also if you鈥檙e not happy with your casting prowess. Good luck!
Awesome idea馃憤 I'm looking forward to tinkering with everything during the cold months this year... I ended up spoolling up with 15lb line and I couldn't really tell too much of a difference. I did however break off a drum at the knot this morning. Landed one and broke off the second. I even kept my drag plenty loose. The first fish must have put more pressure than I realized...I spooled up again with 20lb and landed one more fish. I'm not going down from 20 again for drum fishing.

Registered
Awesome idea馃憤 I'm looking forward to tinkering with everything during the cold months this year... I ended up spoolling up with 15lb line and I couldn't really tell too much of a difference. I did however break off a drum at the knot this morning. Landed one and broke off the second. I even kept my drag plenty loose. The first fish must have put more pressure than I realized...I spooled up again with 20lb and landed one more fish. I'm not going down from 20 again for drum fishing.
Did you have your rod tip high when the drum was in the wash? By the time I get the fish in the wash Im on my shock.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Did you have your rod tip high when the drum was in the wash? By the time I get the fish in the wash Im on my shock.
I did not. Shockline was wrapped a few times on spool before I put any pressure on first fish. There were a lot of blues around so maybe one nicked the line idk line broke not long after hookup

Registered
I did not. Shockline was wrapped a few times on spool before I put any pressure on first fish. There were a lot of blues around so maybe one nicked the line idk line broke not long after hookup
Ribbon Fish have also been thick... They will bite you off faster than a blue

1 - 16 of 16 Posts