Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want yalls opinion on a nice casting rod and reel,preferably between 250.00-300.00.I have asked for your opinions before,but I am still undecided.

OBTW,I will be casting 2-4 oz metal,I already have enough lite tackle stuff.

Thanxs!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I use two rods to throw metal in the weight range you're interested in.

I use a All Star BESP 1265-2 for throwing 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 oz. metal. The sweet spot is about 2 oz., ideal for a 2 oz. Stingsilver or similar lure. It's 10-1/2 ft. long, two piece, both equal length, very light weight. The blank was about $125 in 2002. Mine is made up for a conventional reel and I use a Ambassadeur 6500 CS Mag with this rod, but I know many have rigged it for spinning and rave about this blank. Excellent distance. It takes a while to load so you have to 'wait on it' a bit.

I use an All Star/Breakaway GSW 1418-2 conventional for 3 to 4-1/2 oz. metal like Hopkins and Crippled Herring. I use a 6500 CS for throwing metal and a 6500 CT for bait fishing. It's an 11 ft. 9 in. blank, two piece, both equal length. With my casting style, it's usable with 3 oz., great with 4 oz., will handle up to 5 oz. and bait very nicely. Others cast up to 6 oz. and bait with this rod. I don't. It's very light weight and a joy to fish with all day or night long. I think I paid around $160 for the blank.

I've heard good things about the Conoflex Gambit 24, both as a convention and as a spinning rod. It comes in 12 ft. and 12 ft. 6 in.("XL" version) lengths. There's also an "Xtra" or "XT" version that has an additional power wrap on the butt section. So you can get four different flavors of a Gambit 24 - normal, XL, XT, Or XL and XT. This may cover the weight range you're looking with a single rod. I think that the Conoflex is a bit pricey, however, and may be over what you want to pay. Maybe others can give you some feedback on this rod.

Dan

·
Registered
712 Posts
you might want to look at the allstar 1565 its 13 ft long and rated for 1-4 with 2-3 being the sweet spot and it'll cast metals out of sight.ask longranger he's seen it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Mark,

The All Star 1565 sounds like an awesome rod (especially with your endorsement). How does it perform as a spinning rod? What reel would/do you use on this rod?

Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
712 Posts
i have a shimano thunnus 12000f on mine and it preforms great i got mine to fish the del bay since its shallow throwing 5oz @ the wrong time could be counter productive but 2-3 oz and go over 500 feet is great its like ambushing fish.and metals? i threw a 2 oz stingsilver down at va beach last sept that we thought would never come down.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Mark,

Trying to track down the All Star 1565 blank. After your recommendation, and others I 've talked to, I thought I'd make this rod my next project.

Having some difficulty identifying the correct blank. Went to the All Star web site and found this:

Rod: BESP1565-2
Style: Spinning (Saltwater)
Length: 13'
Pieces: 2
Lure Wt: 1/4-5/8 oz.
Line Wt: 8-17 lb.
Action: Mod-Fast
Power: Medium
Tip Size: 5.5
Butt O.D.: 1.050 in.
Blank Wt.: 10 oz.

The lure weight rating definitely doesn't fit. Thought maybe the rating was wrong, but the tip diameter looks on the skinny side to handle 2 to 3 oz.

Need your help identifying the correct blank.

Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Lot of errors on the All Star website..

The whole spinning blank area is hosed up. Looked for the BESP 1265-2 and it is wrong too...sent them an email but have yet to hear anything.

FD - Thanks for all the great PMs on the 1265 rod. I guess that even though it is listed as a spinning blank it could be a made into a conventional. I'm looking for all the other rod parts I need to get rolling on making it! Let's Rock! ;)

Sandcrab

·
Registered
176 Posts
13 ft all star

If that is the blank that I think it is It was designed to catch small fish like roundheads and such at long range. like 3 oz and a flea or small piece of bloodworm. Spinning reel with power pro. I think it is popolur in Hawaii for perch off the cliffs. Sorry if I am mistaken. Ryan at Hatteras Jack can tell You.For what its worth in my opinion the best metal rod for 4 oz is a 350 2 purglas. Ask the guys at T.W.'S or Red drum about it. Also a 350.4 with about 6" off the butt. I have cast about everything out there....Im a fisherman..Not a tournament caster but I know this They Rock!!They load a lot like a Zziplex for a lot less money.I didn't mention the Zziplex But I think they are in a class by themself.That's my opinion and I don't mean to offend anyone Thanks.

·
Registered
194 Posts
A Beautiful Setup For Cheap

Nserch4drum:

For the price on the reel and for the price of the rod I would go with about a 10-11ft. Tica with a Daiwa Sealine SLOSH 30. Small compact reel with alot of power and you get plenty of durability for your money. With the Tica too.. You get the strength of a 200$$ rod for 100 bucks or under..The way I look at it you can't beat it.. 11ft. Fast Action will throw a stingsilver a mile...

Fred

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bonito-thanxs,but I already have that combo as a bottom fish rod.I agree the Tica and the slosh 30 is an awesome set up,but I am really am interested in a reel that has a line level.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts