Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,
I've been more of a follower than a poster but am excited to finally get some serious surf fishing in next week in Hatteras --with the hopes of nailing a nice size Drum!

My questions and forgive me if they sound silly:

I'm using Spinning gear; 12' Rod, Penn Reel, 17 lb mono. I'm still a bit confused on the suggested weight and length of the leader--and whether it should be Flourocarbon or is simple Ande or equivalent okay.

Also, sand spike/ Drag question: I'll be using a simple fish-finder rig w 8/0 Gamikatsu; does one loosen the drag when placing the rod in the sand spike to prevent losing it to a large fish!?

Lastly; if I spot mullet at a local Asian market, is that okay to bring down or should I simply hope it's available locally (Avon)?

Thanks folks.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
vafishinguy anything that hits a 8/0 hook is going to be on the big side..yes loosen drag and engage clicker if you got one

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
ande or similar is fine
if it makes you feel more secure bring the mullet with you but I've never had a problem getting mullet in obx in many trips there

·
Registered
177 Posts
After you make your cast, and spike the rod you should loosen the drag. Use only enough drag to prevent the water and wave action from pulling more line out off the spool. You can always tighten the drag as the battle begins, but if you start out with the drag set to tight the fight could be over before it even gets started.

Most people tend to forget about drag and think it doesn't matter much when they are catching small fish, but you better be thinking about it when you are catching fish that can EASILY snap your line.

Tighten your drag down completely for the cast, then loosen it up when you're ready to spike it.

I'm sure bait will be available locally. You should pickup a castnet, and spend an afternoon or three learning how to throw it. Sometimes catching finger mullet with a castnet can be just a fun as fishing with a rod. Sometimes I'm having so much fun catching bait it doesn't even bother me if the fish aren't biting:)

If I catch 50 or 100 mullets with my castnet, and my son catches 5 nice bluefish....... I still win!!! Of course he doesn't like it when I claim all those mullet for my catch, but I have to remind him that mullets are still fish too:)

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
...Most people tend to forget about drag and think it doesn't matter much when they are catching small fish, but you better be thinking about it when you are catching fish that can EASILY snap your line.
I have seen rods shoot out of sand spikes when large fish hit! Almost lost one of the rods I loaned out to a buddy when a 44" striped bass hit the bait real hard, knocked over the sand spike, drag the rod and reel 20' into the water! My buddy grabbed MY ROD and reel by the rod butt when it was IN THE WATER!

Sandcrab

·
Banned
2,922 Posts
After you make your cast, and spike the rod you should loosen the drag. Use only enough drag to prevent the water and wave action from pulling more line out off the spool.
VAfishinguy didn't mention if he was using a circle hook or a "J" hook . . .

If he's using a circle hook, too light of a drag setting can prevent the "self-setting" action of the circle hook from working and the fish may spit the hook. This is especially true in a "spiked rod", rather than having the rod in his hands all the time.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
VAfishinguy didn't mention if he was using a circle hook or a "J" hook . . .

If he's using a circle hook, too light of a drag setting can prevent the "self-setting" action of the circle hook from working and the fish may spit the hook. This is especially true in a "spiked rod", rather than having the rod in his hands all the time.
If you're using enough lead it'll most likely set

·
Registered
203 Posts
On the length and weight of that leader . . . Ande line is good, I'd suggest at least 50 lb test monofilament shock leader. The shock leader is to absorb the force of your cast, which with heavy weight could snap 17 pound test. So for it to be effective the leader needs to run from your terminal rig, through the rod guides and down to your reel, with at least 2-3 wraps around the reel. It's not the same as an 18 inch leader you'd use on a Carolina rig, or to cast metal lures to Spanish mackerel.

·
Registered
177 Posts
If you're using enough lead it'll most likely set
That's what I was gonna say :)

ez2cdave does make a good point though. I just "assumed" he would be using circle hooks. My mistake :) Benji is correct also, in that if you use the proper amount of weight the fish can still hook itself. I haven't had an issue with it in my fishing. Light drag while spiked using circle hooks has worked well for me. Also I use braid line with about a 20 to 25 ft Fluorocarbon shock leader.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ande or any mono will work, the advantage of flouro is that it'll sink to the bottom and is harder for fish to see in the water. Mono works fine for most people but if you want, there is nothing wrong with going to flouro.
For the sand spike, make sure you have it deep enough in the sand. I like to mark my spikes every 3" so I can tell how deep they are, I'll put mine in at least 9" but prefer 12-15" especially for a drum rig. And yes you def need to loosen your drag for your drum rig.
I would call ahead and see if a local place has bait before you bring in bait from somewhere else. This way you're guaranteed fresh bait, and you're helping support the local businesses.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts