Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is what happens when the fish don't bite. Girlfriend talked me into going shopping again. Ended up off Indepenence Blvd. Stopped at a shopping center and noticed a Pet store called Animal Jungle. Strolled around looking at all the fish, Noticed an 80 Gallon tank on sale for 78 bucks. Brought it--then it comes (The sales pitch) You're gonna need a top--You're gonna need a stand--You're gonna need some rocks,background and plants--You're gonna need a filtration system ---To sum it all up that 78.00 tank ended up costing me 396.73. And I don't even have a Fish yet....lol. If those fish were still biting that afternoon at Lesner or Rudee, I would have never walked into that store and ol' 1mo would've still had 400 bucks to spend.

·
Registered
634 Posts
1mo...congrats on the fish tank... let me hook you up with some free fish....mine had babies and i need to get rid of some since i have a small tank 20gal....they are convict cichlids...they are very hardy fish and perfect for a beginner....becuase they easy to breed(just add water) lol....also my friend has a tank full of them that he would be happy to get rid some also....i have a couple of females i can give ya and i can get a male from him...also they are good for you to "cycle" your tank with since they live through anything,instead of buying expensive fish and having them die through the cycle period....they are also very territorial and defend their areas.. very fun to watch:)

heres some links to check them out:

convicts

more convicts

convict cichlids

i prefer to raise african cichlids cuz they are much more colorful and known as the "pitbulls" of fish, they are just plain mean:) but my friend talked me into taking some of his convicts... well i'm glad i did since i could never get africans to breed and watching the convicts breed and raise fish has been very cool......my next tank will be a all african tank for sureafrican cichlids

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
very interesting

I wanted to go with some Oscars and Jacks but my ol' lady wants a tankfull of sissy fish. I hadn't thought about the cichlid family. I will pick up my tank on Wednesday when the stand I ordered comes in. Since the cichlids are so colorful I may be able to talk her into agreeing to meet me in the middle with this breed. I will send you a PM on Wednesday or Thursday and let you know if I'm coming to get them....Thanks a lot for the offer.

·
Registered
159 Posts
You won't find a better pet store than that. Best service around and
great folks there. Still not a bad deal on the tank and acc........You can use it for bait in the off-season.

·
Registered
634 Posts
well there is no "meeting in the middle" with cichlids lol....your sissy fish would be dead in a matter of minutes or hours if you put some africans or convicts in with them......good luck on your selection..be sure not to buy expensive fish until your tank has been cycled.

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
I think these two hobbies often run together. I started off keeping saltwater tanks when I was a kid so I could have something to hold the curiosities I castnetted (seahorses, pipefish, lookdowns, hermit crabs, etc.)

These days I just keep a small reef tank, but the bucks can really pour into a tank to keep live corals alive. It's a fun hobby and you'll get a real kick out of it over time.

Just wait until you get into keeping reef tanks...some people get seriously fanatical about it.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
no no no

When I said meet in the middle I was referring to a cichlid only tank. I realize that they are not community fish and can only live with their own. I was referring to the fact that I like mean fish and she likes colorful ones. so the cichlids may solve both of our wishes.

Yep, Loudog the people were very friendly, One of the salesguys even offered to help set the tank up, but I had a 125 gallon tank back in the early 90's with 4 red belly pirahannas in it. So I'm not a total stranger to the fish world. Too bad you can't buy those things in Virginia anymore.

I've been told that saltwater tanks require a lot more attention i.e. ph balance. salinity levels and so forth

I can tell you'll a story about the ex-wife and 125 gallons of water turned over and broken on the floor but that's another thread altogether.....lol...oh man.... lol....

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
My old roomate (in the mid 70's.. when I had hair) worked for a glass company and built a tank that was about 150 gallons.

We kept a couple of Oscars in it that got HUGE. We fed them hamburger and minnows.

We ofen joked about setting up an RC Boat and a mini trolling rig to run in the tank.

I always wanted to have a tank full of Ciclids, but had other fish I liked that I was certain they would kill promptly.

Now? I have a 14 year old "divorce-custody" poodle that is always EXACTLY under my feet and constantly looking for food.

Maybe I'll go trolling with him. :D

Bob

·
Registered
634 Posts
oh ok... thought you wanted to mix them lol...well set this tank up and make the wife happy..if momma aint happy ..noone is happy:)..then you could always get you a tank for the pitbulls later lol...i see alot of full setup tanks in the trader mag. for under $100...50-75gl......thats what i'm looking to get soon.....its going to be a all african tank....and all the babys that my convicts make are going to be "feeder fish" for my lake malawians :) ...

last 2 days i been netting my breeding pair and allowing my 3 other fish to eat some babies....sounds cruel but its either let them be eaten or flush them when they get older....my other 3 fish seem to thank me for the great dinner lol...but they get their butts kicked for awhile after i let the momma and dad go :D

oh yea.. almost forgot... how bout dem Saints??? :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts