Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I though I would give this one it's own thread since its sure to stir the pot!

Add a commercial forum to each state.

Allow commercial vendors a place to post. Headboats, pier operators, guides, etc.,could register as a "commercial member". they could then post fishing reports and answer posts in the commercial area.

Maybe allow them to post in the regular existing forum areas, I dunno.

Flea could charge them something to register to offset the cost of the forum. (He could get free boat trips!)

I will even argue against my own idea a bit.

I feel we have to be very careful we don't turn into a bitch and moan board like some of the more popular OBX forums. I don't know if this would be a step in that direction or not.

I bet I get shot down for this, but what-th'-heck. It's an idea, and it is good to keep the forum active during the off season.

OK boys, fresh kill! Play nice... :p

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
I would have to go "No" on that idea.

"Maybe"(on a paying basis), add a Headboat/Charter section under "On the water". Would like to see something like that in the "Boards" section, as long as the only people that could post, were the people paying to post. That way they could post specials, reports, prices, location, etc.

I like to find my "Sea" legs on a headboat once in a while, so this would be a plus for me. Also make it easier to keep track, and know what opportunities are around.

My $.02............ ;)

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I feel we have to be very careful we don't turn into a bitch and moan board like some of the more popular OBX forums. I don't know if this would be a step in that direction or not.
Exactly! Some of the 'OBX Fishing dot com' (I won't mention the exact URL) sites are ridiculous. There's a certain charter captain that uses the message board as one big advertisement tool to post his bounty daily. That's not a bad idea to get your business out there but I'd hate to see this board go this direction.
Plus, this guy's an a**. Some of these captains complain about tourist during the summer and all the yuppies in Duck but that's the hand that feeds them. Here's a sample of his posts:
Sample Post
You have to read the previous posts to get the topic of the conversation but this is his typical responses.

The boats owners, both Comm and Rec, have other sites such as tidalfish.com at their disposal.

That's my 2 cents.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Great idea davb, i am always going out on headboats from lynnhaven and i think that finding out what is biting around that time would help. Also it would be better for there buissness and sand flea could pick up some cash for the site.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Greetings All!

Have to agree with sandcrab on this one; we're the board for SHOREBOUND anglers. I think its better to get honest reports from members than risk sifting through inflated ads. If you want a reccomendation about a boat, just ask on he boating board. There's a good chance some of the members have used it. In addition, when a P&S member does fish on a "motorized" pier, he can post the results on the boating board, including a critique of the boat and crew, and whether he reccomends them or not. KISS -- Keep it Short and Simple!

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
More or less a lot of the commercial guys have sites or are part of other host sites.

Wizardude and DavB
It's cold right now. But not cold enough for "that red suited, pitch fork toting, underground dweller" to see his place of residence freeze over yet.

Gee, now where did I read those words before??? huhmmmm. It's coming back to me now.....what's his name?

First and foremost.....sand flea puts full time into his day job, probably 8 hours, in additin to the full time commitment that's needed to keep things running smoothly here. Only difference, he more than likely doesn't have 8 hours to put into P&S on a daily basis. Some things board members can do. But staying on top of the updates and what nots that would be required is something that only he himself can do.

Before you begin tossing those pies my way, I'd like to say my favorite is coconut custard. OK. I'm under the table now. Toss away!!!! :D :D

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
To back up what most have said this site should be for us guys who for some reason fish the shore there is enough stuff out there for the boaters not that I'm knocking the boaters but there is very little places on the net for info gear for us shore folks and most of the mags and web sites main focus is for the boaters remember Saltwater Sportsman only has articles on boat fishing they feel they get more income from boaters and forgot the joy of all types of fishing

·
Registered
978 Posts
Maybe SF could have a sub-section to the boating board where we could all post info about different head boats/charters that we have tried. This way if it turns into to much BS just delete the whole sub-section.

my .02

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.