Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something I found on another board...

posted on 10-Sep-2003 9:25:41 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It will be a day to remember what we have and what others have lost. My wife received the following email from a cyberfriend which reminded me to remember our troops. They are the ones making it possible for us to continue with the good life.
"I sat in my seat of the Boeing 767 waiting for everyone to hurry andstow their carry-ons and grab a seat so we could start what I was sure to be a long , uneventful flight home. With the huge capacity and slow moving people taking their time to stuff luggage far too big for the overhead and never paying much attention to holding up the growing line behind them, I simply shook my head knowing that this flight was not starting out very well. I was anxious to get home to see my loved ones so I was focused on "my" issues and just felt like standing up and yelling for some of these clowns to get their act together. I knew I couldn't say a word so I just thumbed thru the "Sky Mall" magazine from the seat pocket in front of me. You know it's really getting rough when you resort to the over priced, useless sky mall crap to break the monotony. With everyone finally seated, we just sat there with the cabin door open and no one in any hurry to get us going although we were well past the scheduled take off time. No wonder the airline industry is in trouble I told myself. Just then, the attendant came on the intercom to inform us all that we were being delayed. The entire plane let out a collective groan. She resumed speaking to say "We areholding the aircraft for some very special people who are on their way to the plane and the delay shouldn't be more than 5 minutes. The word came after waiting six times as long as we were promised that "I" was finally going to be on my way home. Why the hoopla over "these" folks? I was expecting some celebrity or sport figure to be the reason for the hold up.........Just get their butts in a seat and lets hit the gas I thought. The attendant came back on the speaker to announce in a loud and excited voice that we were being joined by several U. S. Marines returning home from Iraq!!! Just as they walked on board, the entire plane erupted into applause. The men were a bit taken by surprise by the 340 peoplecheering for them as they searched for their seats. They were havingtheir hands shook and touched by almost everyone who was within an arm's distance of them as they passed down the aisle. One elderly woman kissed the hand of one of the Marines as he passed by her. The applause, whistles and cheering didn't stop for a long time. When we were finally airborne, "I" was not the only civilian checking his conscience as to the delays in "me" getting home, finding my easy chair, a cold beverage and the remote in my hand. These men had done for all of us and I had been complaining silently about "me" and "my" issues. I took for granted the everyday freedoms I enjoy and the conveniences of the American way of life I took for granted others paid the price for my ability to moan and complain about a few minutes delay to "me" those Heroes going home to their loved ones. I attempted to get my selfish outlook back in order and minutes before we landed I suggested to the attendant that she announce over the speaker a request for everyone to remain in their seats until our hero's were allowed to gather their things and be first off the plane. The cheers and applause continued until the last Marine stepped off and we all rose to go about our too often taken for granted everyday freedoms......... I felt proud of them. I felt it an honor and a privilege to be among the first to welcome them home and say Thank You for a job well done. I vowed that I will never forget that flight nor the lesson learned. I can't say it enough, THANK YOU to those Veterans and active servicemen and women who may read this and a prayer for those who cannot because they are no longer with us. GOD BLESS AMERICA! WELCOME HOME! AND THANKS FOR A JOB WELL DONE !!!!! This is a ribbon for soldiers fighting in Iraq. Pass it on to everyone and pray. ",

God Bless America
TOM

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Definitely a day of rememberance. Sometimes it takes incidents like this guy had for us to realize the big picture.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Nice Post

I took some time to reflect on events passed this morning. I will do the same again tonight. I am wondering why other people in my office are not decked out in Red, White and Blue. I live in DC and the rememberence ceremonies dont seem to be a big, or publicised this year. I guess it is up to individuals to remeber in their own way. Thanks guys and gals overseas.

·
Registered
194 Posts
As I sit here in my office at 100 Wall Street, we just had the first moment of silence. It just tears me apart remembering what happened. God speed to all who were lost.

I LOVE THIS COUNTRY!

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Good Post..
I am glad they are getting a better welcome home than we did. They earned it.
Neighbors son is back. He and I had a good talk about how things have changed. I shook his hand and said thank you.
This is one of the times that you disregard politics and say GOOD JOB PEOPLE AND THANK YOU.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i remember looking in my backyard and seeing the smoke i live only 5 miles from the city and can still remember the haze and smoke

·
Registered
823 Posts
ALL THAT WERE LOST...........

a salute to all my service brothers who answered their final alarm. due to the hands of terrorists. may god bless the families . children and those who continue to carry on the traditions left behind by those who have went before us.
some of you dont understand the the closeness. distance doesnt matter. the fire service is a sacred brotherhood. the loss of one affects us all. god bless the fallen..........

Terry Kiestler
Firefighter / Paramedic

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
great post I will away remember

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
A great day in rememberance it was. I work at Ft. Belvoir and had the honor to hold the national colors for our rememberance ceremony for my company. A day that will always be etched in our minds. God bless America!

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings All!

I too have a special connection to the events of September 11, 2001. Since the SSA NY Program Service Center was in a state of shock following the tradgedy, the Philadelphia Center that I work at handled all claims from the Twin Towers, the Pentagon, and the Western PA disasters. We currently pay benefits to more than 5000 husbands, wives, and children of those who lost their lives.

I believe the Washington ceremonies were purposely downplayed this year due to George W's habit of invoking the ghost of 9-11, and the increased scrutiny the Bush regime has come under. Its been two years, and there are many important questions that haven't been answered.

I thought it was especially significant that the NYC Ceremony included the children - sons, daughters, nieces, nephews- of those who lost their lives in the single greatest act of terror committed on American Soil. This will be the first post 9-11 generation, and they may never know the peace of mind Americans enjoyed before that fateful day.

The threat of terrorism has now become a part of the American way of life. The fact that we carry on shows that the terrorists did not win. Hopefully our children, grand children, and great grand children can live through the 21st century without encountering a greater catastrophe.

God bless the United States of America, and the ideals that this great country once stood for, and someday will embrace again.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings Topsailbum!

Its a shame that it took a disaster like 9-11 to bring to light the dedication of firefighters and parametics. I still purchase the 2001 Heroes USA stamps when available. Again, as an SSA employee, I've seen the increase in disability claims from paramedics who contracted Hepatitis 'C' while trying to save lives. Unfortunately, many municipalities terminate the health benefits of the victims of this potentially fatal disease. The Philadelphia Firefighters Union was among the first responders to send volunteers to NYC to cover the massive losses incured by the City of New York Firefighters. The Firefighters Union conducted a beautiful ceremony today in honor of their fallen comrades, complete with bagpipes.

·
Registered
823 Posts
youre right jake..... unless youre connectedto the brotherhood in some manner most folks really cannot comprehend

1 - 12 of 12 Posts