Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, there wasn't much going on down at the jetties today, but I wasn't looking for much ... just 3 flounder to tag to push the milestone number over 800 for the year.

Threw the larger Saltwater Assassin for a while until it became evident that there were no takers. Then tossed a 2" Chartreuse Wild Eye behind in the shallow water to get my 3 tostito-sized flounder.

So, the new 2003 total is 801 tagged / released flounder. Another milestone reached. Doesn't seem like so many of them are being recaught though.

I think the good news for us land-locked folks, is that only about 30 of these were caught from a boat and the rest were landed on various beaches, jetties and piers in the area.

Much gratitude to the many folks who've let me tag their flounder throughout the year. I really appreciate your help.

THROW MORE / MOST / MAYBE A FEW OF THE BIG ONES BACK

Jake Ace

·
Registered
389 Posts
Dedicated I tell you. You are inspiring, if only I could be one with the flounder. You must have a fluke sixth sense. Great job Jake! Maybe you should have a flounder class on the beach or a small business the " Ace Flounder Guide of Hampton Roads" I'd be there.:D

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Let me get this straight you caught over 800 flounders this yr. with or with out a gill net :jawdrop: .. what was the largest and smallest ?what did you catch most on .

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, no I didn't actually catch all of them. As best I can figure from my logs and daily records, I probably caught about 600 of the 805, and my regular fishing buddies and a few other guys I fish next to let me tag about 205 of theirs along the way.

And yes, two of them have been caught with my castnet while throwing for mullet, menhaden along the shoreline.

The biggest catch / tag / release this year was a 25" that my brother caught in Cape Hatteras on a live mullet, that we weighed on a handscale at 6 1/2" pounds.

My biggest catch / tag / release this year was a 23 1/2" one that I caught just last week on a 4" Storm Wildeye. That was a good day, I also tagged / released a 20", a 20 1/2" and an 18".

The smallest have all come recently as well, from Gloucester and Yorktown, and there have been several that I've measured at a scant 7 1/2".

The main bait this year has been the Saltwater Split-tail Assassins in whatever color matches the water clarity. "Opening Night" in clear / shallow water, and "Space Guppy" in darker, stained or deeper water.

As far as being one with the flounder, I think that I may have a feel for the the tick of the fish when it hits the jig, and I change leadhead sizes a lot until I get lucky enough to get the size that bounces along at just the right pace.

THROW MORE / MOST / MAYBE A FEW OF THE BIG ONES BACK

Jake Ace

·
Registered
57 Posts
Don't let Jake fool you, he WORKS at it. I mean spending every minute on the beach fishing-casting over and over and over and over and over and-you get the point. I've seen him do that for up yo eight hours without stopping, except to wake me with a smack of cut bait across the face and tell me to get him a soda-which he drinks while fishing.

Yes, he has mastered technique, and has a good grasp of bait selection, but I feel the keys to his success are focus and determination. Forty fish days are possible, but rare. Jake makes his hay within the six hour, twelve fish day. While that sounds good, remember that eight of those fish probably are caught during an hour bite. That leaves four fish spread over five hours, but Jake keeps casting over and over and over and over.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts