Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Asking the experts opinons-what are your thoughts about using higher rated braids instead of tying say, an 80 lb shock leader to your main line? The 80 lb PP is still thinner than 20 lb mono- I can deal with that. Just trying to avoid that extra knot [that I cant seem to tie right]. Thanks

·
Registered
273 Posts
shock

80 lb pp is ok if that is what you want to use. Personally I don't like the cost or it's performance in the surf. Changing mono can cost 7 or 8 bucks per reel but pp will cost you about 30-35 dollars a reel. Learn to tie a shock knot you can trust.Tie it and worry about what is bitting and not if the knot will hold. After you use a shock leader for a time you won't even know it's there.You'll get other responses supporting PP I'm sure but don't run out and buy it just because you can't tie a knot. Goodluck to you.
Bob S

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I have been using 20lb Power Pro this season and I like it. How about if I filled half or more of the spool w/ cheap mono and then 'topped off w/the Power Pro? That would save some $. I didnt realize the 80lb was so much more.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just remember that if you hook in to a bug fish and it gets to the crummy mono you will pobaly instantly snap off.
805Mike

·
Registered
194 Posts
Ford - there're very few shortcuts. Pay the dues, learn the knot, then be confident and fish. Experiment 'till you find a knot that works for you.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Poleant, I'll give that one a try.I had been trying to tie a similar knot to that one with no sucess.Thanks for the link.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts