Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am almost out and can not find them anywhere! Anyone have a good local source near me? 8 oz Sputniks will work but I prefer the pyramid or hurricane ones.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Anyone know where to get 3 or 4 ounce ones as well?
I'd rather use a 4 ounce sputnik when the water is rough than a 6 ounce bank.

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Husky,

Saw quite a few sputniks at Outdoor World (BPS). The Breakaway Company has larger ones (up to 7 oz) but I have not seen them marketed locally - only in catalogues.

I like the sputniks but the problem with them is that once you reel in your line to move your bait, the tines open and then they are useless as they do not grab bottom. I use them in the Bay but not the surf. ;) For the surf I prefer the pyramids or the hurricane sinkers.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Sandcrab- I have molds for your 8oz.pyramid and the lead to make them,how many and when do you need them. I also have 3oz.up to 6oz. pyramid molds. Husky- try: www.Reddrumtackle.com for your spuntnik and also Cabels sells them. Someone here at work gave me a bunch of different size weights the box weights around 40 to 50lbs. there's inline,bank sinkers and some pyramid anyone need some. TRIGGER

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Trigger,

Thanks for the offer. ;) You hang on to them and I'll borrow some when I meet ya sometime at my favorite fishing holes - Matapeake, SPSP, IRI, DE surf, or AI. :)

My dad used to be a big sinker maker way back when I was a kid. Maybe when I get my own house, I'll get back into making them. :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here's an untested trick to cast less weight out but (hopefully) keep it out there when it is rough. I thought of this because the Sputnik's are so darn expensive. I take a bank sinker ( which I do not recommend in the surf normally because they're back on the beach before you know it) and drill through the sinker twice in a crossing pattern near the bottom. You'll need a steel drill bit and some oil to keep the heat down. I then insert a length of wire hanger through the holes and bend them. I'm hoping that this will give the sinker some traction and keep it from rolling around in the surf too much. I'll let you know how it works out as the season starts. By the way, Dick's and Sports Authority on Concord Pike in Wilmington have a variety of pyramid sinkers and I bought a bunch off of a guy on e-bay too. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Thanks Joey, but my local WalMart sells nothing bigger than 1 ounce. Basically, they don't sell anything for the bay. Maybe I'll stop by the wal-mart in Bowie on my way to annapolis next time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts