Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a fishing charter with Angry Fish Charters out of Destin, Fl. Got to Legendary Marina at 5:45am and on the boat at 6:00am. My dad and two brothers set out with Capt. Gordie Hinds for some offshore fishing for Wahoo, Tuna, White Marlin etc.

$1200.00 later and 9 hours on the water we had:

A BIG SKUNK

We had a miserable time even though we had been told that the offshore fishing had been, "ridiculously good!"

Maybe it was just the charter co.????

-Disappointed NCTrader03

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Wow, that really, really sucks. Just goes to show that having a boat isn't all that it's cracked up to be sometimes. The wahoo and white marlin are out there, tuna are usually overnight trips out of Venice, LA.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Dang!!!!!

THAT REALLY SUCKS. Do they not guarantee to put you on the fish or what? Just curios cause thats alot of money," what happens after a trip like that do you atleast see half of your funds back?" I mean isn't that why your paying him,to put you on the fish!!! :confused: :mad:

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
that sucks...
Ask about some of your funds back or some type of discount or future discount.
I guess it happens to everyone.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We got absolutely nothing back and were not even offered such when we asked.

All the captain said, "Sorry I couldn't do better." Needless to say we were not/are not pleased to say the least.

A lot of talk and a sightseeing tour is all it turned out to be.

I would recommend another charter besides this one.

NCTrader03

·
Registered
413 Posts
I've had the same experience. The big-game fishing like that is often hit or miss. Those ESPN pansy-boys that seem to get hookup after hookup are full of 5H|T.
A lot of times you only get a good $800 sunburn

·
Registered
247 Posts
We got absolutely nothing back and were not even offered such when we asked.

All the captain said, "Sorry I couldn't do better." Needless to say we were not/are not pleased to say the least.

A lot of talk and a sightseeing tour is all it turned out to be.

I would recommend another charter besides this one.

NCTrader03
I mean damn if you wanted a freakin sight seeing tour it shouldn't of been half that much.. I still think ya'll guys should of gotten atleast a rain check on that!!!!!:mad: :mad:

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
working on charter boats since i was in high school i know its hard to find fish somedays but always give someone a future discount trip, also after the first couple hours they should have taken to a back up plan, ive always had a back up plan for clients

·
Registered
46 Posts
I think if they told you that you could get tuna in a 9 hour trip, they were crazy.

I did two charters last Friday and did ok on both. We went bottom fishing in the AM and got a lot of red snapper and assorted other bottom fish. Then, that evening, we went shark fishing and got an 8 foot nurse shark. Pretty amazing creature if you ask me.

·
Banned
2,501 Posts
Sorry to hear that, but IMHO, if it isn't in the fine print, it is what it is. Fishing is never guaranteed, it's like guaranteeing a 50% return on the stock market. We would all hope to have a partial refund or raincheck, but to the Capt. of the boat, he probably worked harder to put you on the fish than other trips where the fish were stacked. This is JMHO from a business owner and not as a consumer.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If he had worked hard to try to put us on fish I don't think we would have been as disappointed as we had been.

$1200.00 down the drain is a smack in the face. What makes it even worse is that my mom and dad paid 1/2 as a gift for me and my brothers. Now they don't have a lot of money and for them to do something like this was major. I was sick:--| to say the least when we didn't catch any fish.

Not only that but to walk off the boat at the marina and to have 15 - 20 people standing there cleaning fish or waiting to clean fish that made it even harder for us. Did our Capt. care? Heck no he headed straight to the store at the marina and got him a six pack.

My dad said that he would probably never do a deep sea trip again.

NCTrader03

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
If he had worked hard to try to put us on fish I don't think we would have been as disappointed as we had been.

$1200.00 down the drain is a smack in the face. What makes it even worse is that my mom and dad paid 1/2 as a gift for me and my brothers. Now they don't have a lot of money and for them to do something like this was major. I was sick:--| to say the least when we didn't catch any fish.

Not only that but to walk off the boat at the marina and to have 15 - 20 people standing there cleaning fish or waiting to clean fish that made it even harder for us. Did our Capt. care? Heck no he headed straight to the store at the marina and got him a six pack.

My dad said that he would probably never do a deep sea trip again.

NCTrader03

that sucks sorry you didnt have a good time....

·
Registered
224 Posts
Sorry to hear about your trip. You could have done a little research and asked for some recommendations before you picked a boat. That boat and crew are fairly new to the area and have very little experience around here. Destin has the biggest charter fleet in the state and that boat is towards the bottom of the barrel. The fishing has been pretty good and theres quite a few boats that could have put you on fish, unless you were adament about tuna, wahoo, or sails. King mackeral are a no brainer right now as are dolphin offshore. Snapper and grouper are pretty easy to come by also. You could have spent 75.00 a head on Swoop (a party boat) for an eight hour and probably caught a few snapper, grouper, and amberjack.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry to hear about your trip. You could have done a little research and asked for some recommendations before you picked a boat. That boat and crew are fairly new to the area and have very little experience around here. Destin has the biggest charter fleet in the state and that boat is towards the bottom of the barrel. The fishing has been pretty good and theres quite a few boats that could have put you on fish, unless you were adament about tuna, wahoo, or sails. King mackeral are a no brainer right now as are dolphin offshore. Snapper and grouper are pretty easy to come by also. You could have spent 75.00 a head on Swoop (a party boat) for an eight hour and probably caught a few snapper, grouper, and amberjack.

Thanks for the info. but according to our captain/owner they are the "premier" fishing charter company in all of Destin. That they have the largest fleet blah, blah, blah. I think it was more of a trip to tweek his ego than to catch fish.

NCTrader03

·
Registered
2 Posts
dude, sorry you had a bad trip, but having just returned from the Florida panhandle and fished offshore for three days straight on a 61' Viking, (at a LOT more money than you have mentioned), I can tell you that our sum total was one white marlin, one mahi and about 5 giant bonita. Almost 40 hours of trolling with not the grandest of results. I don't blame the Captain, the crew, the boat or even myself. They felt bad enough. That's fishing.

I have been skunked in Hawaii, Costa Rica, Mexico and a couple of places in the Caribbean as well. I have never, not once, been given a discount nor offered a refund. Nor would I expect one. Anyone who has fished offshore knows the gamble that it can be; irrespective of how on fire it was yesterday, last week or an hour ago.

As the poker players say: 'if you can't afford to lose, you can't afford to play".

Btw, when I have had a bad day at the office, it's not unusual for me to bury my face in a beer or other adult beverage either. I certainly wouldn't blame that guy.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
I think that the major issue is that he paid alot, for nothing. A good charter captain would have at least offered to make it up somehow.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
dude, sorry you had a bad trip, but having just returned from the Florida panhandle and fished offshore for three days straight on a 61' Viking, (at a LOT more money than you have mentioned), I can tell you that our sum total was one white marlin, one mahi and about 5 giant bonita. Almost 40 hours of trolling with not the grandest of results. I don't blame the Captain, the crew, the boat or even myself. They felt bad enough. That's fishing.

I have been skunked in Hawaii, Costa Rica, Mexico and a couple of places in the Caribbean as well. I have never, not once, been given a discount nor offered a refund. Nor would I expect one. Anyone who has fished offshore knows the gamble that it can be; irrespective of how on fire it was yesterday, last week or an hour ago.

As the poker players say: 'if you can't afford to lose, you can't afford to play".

Btw, when I have had a bad day at the office, it's not unusual for me to bury my face in a beer or other adult beverage either. I certainly wouldn't blame that guy.

Well the truth is I would only give you 9 cents for what you said because it's not worth a dime!

I'm a business man and I know that if I don't make customers happy BY ANY MEANS that can mean trouble down the pike, i.e. dissatisfied customers who tell friends, who tell friends.

Plus your smug response about Hawaii, Costa Rica etc. because you visit those places is that supposed to lend any credibility to what you have to say.

Real business men and women know how to treat customers. Angry Fish Charters failed miserably.

NCTrader03

·
Registered
253 Posts
Sorry to hear you had a bad trip. I guess fishing bussiness just like any other bussiness, some manage by good people and some manage by bad one. Angry Fish Charters can't afford to have clients go home empty hand, the words mouth like wild fires.
After reading the report from nctrader03, how many of you guys here willing to takes a change spent over thoudsand $ to book Angry Fish Charters ?
I won't

1 - 20 of 37 Posts