Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
fished the moving tides from 9pm to 5am.

My haul: 11 blues on cut spot (9-18"). 4 spot on bloods from the end of the left side (not quite the corner).

The bites from the bigger blues were really tentative, I had to be patient and let them play with the bait for a while. The smaller ones just chomped down. One fish are through my steel leader as I was dislodging the hook ... hoo-da-nanay

Others were catching croaker on blood, shrimp, and squid. Spot of various sizes were caught on squid and blood.

Guys on the far right corner had a mess of croakers in a basket fish saver... I've heard one croaker, or mebs a duet in the cooler but this was a whole mess and they made pathetic harmonies everytime he added to their numbers.

Crabs were also dancing the night away. Some guys with pier nets were scooping them out.

Poor fellow got in around 1:30 am, squeezed his way into the left corner spot and proceeded to hook a ray five different times before I left. I must say, he had some strong line - he brought all of them to the pier and then cut his losses -- two times he didn't lose his tackle. I saw one guy lose his pole to a ray while he was busy not fishing and heard another guy earlier in the day had the same thing happen - watch 'em poles.

I saw a lot of folks trying to catch stuffs with "minnows" -- looked like little chimichogs to me. Anyone have an opinion on whether they work? Seems like a waste of money to me. Might as well buy spot or alewives.

Last thing... came to plo by route 5 - usually I go 4 to 235 to 5 - so I missed the tackle shop. Was about to turn around when I saw there was a shop right next to the park - I think Rich's Marina or something like that... Nice guy, good service, great location. $3.50 for fresh spot and $6 for big blood worms.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Chuckingstuff glad you got into some fish there last night. Like my earlier post I was gonna head down there but was too tired to do an overnighter that far away from home. Them mumichugs are good bait for flounder. People have caught some nice flounder there because of sandy bottom and that being right on the mouth of the potomac and patuxent rivers. They wouldn't be worth buying unless you are trying specifically for flounder. Small blues tear them things up and when you reel your line in all you have left is a bunch of heads. Ricks marina is the bait shop you went to . If you are gonna fish down there go to him because he has been hit pretty hard with all the slow fishing now a days. He definitely had some decent bloods last time Anthony and I went. Them rays will get you if you ain't paying attention. I pulled in a fishing pole at PAX NAS last week. It had crusteceans all over it, and was spooled with braided line. Probably another victim of the rays taking peoples poles. Be careful with them blues I caught some with a gothca last week and it tore my a$$ up. They don't call it a gotcha for no reason:eek: My fingers are still sore.:rolleyes:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts