Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I took some pictures of an ABU 7000C that had some boat-road-truck rash on the side plates.

Tried to off load it at this site and it was rejected. This reel is not my original 7000C that I have owned since I bought it Brand New in 1987. My original 7000C is hanging up in the Red Headed fella's tackle room mounted on my Original Fenwick SurfStick, I left it there when I went to Chicago for work back in 2014. Caught most of my first Big Drum on this 7000C-SurfStik combo back in the Day.

Put old Ugly 7000C on Ebay and it was rejected after one week with only one watcher. It had been the lowest priced 7000C on Ebay but still no one wanted the ugly duck.

I knew it was a bad ass casting reel cause I had had some bad ass casts out of it and internally the reel was good to go, it had just been beaten up a bit for the last 30 years or so..

I decided to take it off Ebay and rebuild it for beauty and function, today since I was not busy at work.

Ordered brand new side plates (Red) $60 including shipping. One side from Ebay and one side from E-parts

Ordered Brand New Boca 7 Ceramic Bearings from my Ebay bearing dealer

Ordered a few other small items like friction washers and brass tension washers from Ebay

Took the reel apart and parts except for the spool (loaded with brand new ProSpec Chrome) are soaking in denatured alcohol.

It has the English BlakDog CT Bar Installed.

After I get the side-plates and bearings next week, I will take some Glamour Shots of my newly refurbished ABU 7000C

Here is what it looked like before I took it apart.

Automotive lighting Wood Auto part Camera accessory Jewellery

After I get it all back together I am going to test it with 6 ounces and a four part pendulum cast and we will see if this 7000C wants to fly again.....

Price will go up to be priceless and not for sale probably for the rest of my life. The reel will match another Red 7000 with CT Bar I have that already had ceramic bearings installed by Hatteras Jacks about 20 years ago. So now I will have a matched pair both mounted on SurfStiks.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think I bought 7000C Ugly Duck on Ebay some 20 years ago on Ebay for $45 or so when Swedish 7000C's were still a bargain. I took the reel apart and cleaned and greased it and it has always casted well, but it has always been road-rashed.

My original ABU 8600 has been sitting cleaned and resting in a box and retired for a few years. I decided it had caught its fair share of Drum-Cobia-Sharks and it needed to rest up some.

Clyde from Rodanthe had an 8600 back in the day and he fought a giant shark for an hour or so on Rodanthe Pier. The mono line got reel tooo packed on the spool and the spool cracked. This was not uncommon back in the Day with ABU 8600-9000-10000 reels cracking their spools under heavy strain.

Same thing will happen with SL20SH, spool will crack under pressure, just ask the Red Head....

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My 7000's all have pretty quiet clickers from use. My original 7000C from back in the day, I can be standing right next to it and the Red Head would have to tell me when it was going off, it is more like a hum, rather than a ratchet....

Internet said that replacing the clicker springs could solve the problem, so I ordered a couple from E-replacement parts, my new favorite parts place.

Rock and Roll, Construction and Guns all contributed to my hearing loss, when I was still relatively young. Fire handguns out of Truck windows whilst sitting in the Truck and you will find out what I am talking about.

I can not even name a new song by some of the new Rock and Roll bands these days, but I used to love to go to concerts and clubs and always had the music turned up loud where ever I was.

I listened to the long version Lou Reed Intro Sweet Jane last night before I went to sleep and it reminded me of the days when I was bad ass, working high rise construction and being so full of adrenalin all day long standing on the edge of death, that when I came back down to earth after the whistle blew, I was a danger, to myself and everyone around me.

Standing on the corner, suitcase in my hand.....

·
Registered
147 Posts
Picked up a silver 7000c3 (taiwan) recently off sleazebay to go with the other three swedes and two 7000c4's.
You wouldn't believe the attempt at the broken clicker fix....lol

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am going to static mag the old left side plate and test it to see if centrifugal works better than magnetic

I am going to name this 7000C "Old Crusty"

I was raised in a family of Hawaiian ocean swimmers.

First thing I learned is never turn your back on the Ocean, after Winter surf in Northern California rolled me all the way to the high tide line.....

Later in life I learned that my Hawaiian Families Aumakua is the Shark.....

This picture I just jacked from an OBX tackle store is just plain wrong.......

Water Shorts Vehicle Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Fish

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That nemesis of Cape Point Surf Anglers during Cobia Season the Captain of the Free Agent currently moored at Teaches once posted on DD's site about the time He and his Mate brought a 400 pound Bull Shark aboard for some Photo Ops.

The Bull Sharks home in case you do not know is right on the shoals to the North of Hatteras Inlet, the Sharks are there all Summer long usually in groups. The Free Agent decided to mess with the Bull Sharks after a day searching for Cobia.

Captain of the Free Agent came down from the Bridge just when rogue wave bumped the Free Agent sideways. This caused the Captain to loose his footing on the wet deck and the Good Captain found himself mere inches from the snapping jaws of that one angry Bull Shark. Never again would the good Captain bring a big Shark aboard, never again.....

Remember if it looks dicey.....it is.....

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Old Crusty who is perhaps 40 some years old, will no doubt smoke a lot of newer reel setups for Drum Casting, and make bait bitches out of folks who do not know about ABU's and the long distance game. Mounted Old Crusty on a SurfStik to check the drag.

ABU drag system (Cleaned and Greased with Cal's Drag Grease) should get smoked also when I gets to put in some work on the OBX......

NJ Bob, my money $$$ is on you in a 175 grain distance casting contest between you and Tuna.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Awesome. I love old stuff like new.

I have an old Penn 209 that my dad used to flounder fish with. Found it a couple years ago and got it refurbished with drags redone.

Going to do some flounder fishing with it this fall.
Wood Audio equipment Flooring Saw Tool
Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Wheel

1 - 11 of 11 Posts