Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did you guys hear about a 13 yr old boy angled a 68.8 lb Rockfish at the fishing tournament in Cambridge on Saturday? He caught it from the shore line. It was a record for the Cambridge area. They will be posting his picture on the board at Choptank. :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
New State record then...current record is 67.8 pounds for the Bay. :eek:

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
So, I knew it was a striper that took me under the bridge early Saturday morning! And you all thought it was a skate.
:p

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
:eek: Now that is a fish of a lifetime. Almost always happens to some lucky kid in the right place at the right time. Good for him. Just wish it was me.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
170 Posts
That is luck :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
And I bet he probably only had 15lb test or less on there!!! Lesson learned for all of us doing the heavy line and braid. ;) :p

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Update---

Angel from DNR just emailed me and told me that they have no record of any large striped bass being caught near Cambridge.

The most recent report on record was the new coastal record striped bass. This was a new Atlantic State Record Striped Bass that weighed weighed 52 lbs., 8 oz and was caught by Chris Salp on 05/11/03 at Assateague Island.

Either the story is false or they have not reported yet to DNR for record status.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Sandcrab,

I had my suspicions of the report myself but rather then look like a jerk I thought I'd just wait it out and not post; I still hope its true but it wouldn't be the first huge striper rumor in this area that turned out not to be true.

If it's not mentioned in the DNR newsletter next Wednesday I think that will be conclusive.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A friend of mine that participated in the tournament gave me this information. He also said they were putting it in the Cambridge newspaper. I hope this wasn't a fish story. If this isn't true, I apologize for posting. When it comes to fishing, I tell nothing but the truth. Everyone knows you have good days and bad days. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Any results yet?

So what is the word? Is this another fish story or do we have any evidence yet?

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Funny Bill

You are always trying to trick us. I saw you at IRI fishing with a 15 'er and 80 lb test.:D

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
I think if this catch would have actually happened DNR and the papers would have been all over it.

It's possible, but looking increasingly unlikely.

·
Registered
680 Posts
husky. i have no idea what you mean by 15'er. and 80 lb. test. i can assure you i do not use more than 15# mono or 20# power pro. i use a 7 or 8ft. rod. you do not need more than that. ito me, anything longer is to cumbersomn and gets in the way of anyone else tryong to fish. you don't need more there as those rods will handle anything there.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts