Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
:jawdrop: What kind of freak catch is that. From a headboat can you imagine the look on that guys face:eek: Especially when he finally pulled it up.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Hope they released it

Big drum are getting scare. Puppy drum are good for the pan but the larger ones should be released to spawn again. ;)

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Now here is a question. I thought he would have to release that monster? Is he allowed to keep it b/c it was caught on a headboat? I mean it isn't very edible. Only reason I would personally keep it is to mount it on my wall. But that would probaly cost me about $3,000.00 now adays:rolleyes: So after a few pics back in the water it would go:D

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings All!

There's nothing in the article that suggests the drum was kept, and the nice rounded (and maybe a little exaggerated) weight suggests a catch and release. Besides, it was a charter, not a head boat, and most captains are on the up-and-up when it comes to regulations. These are the same big reds I'm talking about in my post on the boating board. Last year Capt Dave's customers landed a half-dozen in mid-August, all caught while fishing for croakers. The pics I saw at the Outdoor Show all looked like live fish, not corpses pulled out of the fish box at the end of the day. If the fish WAS kept, both the captain and the fisherman should be fined....

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Thanks for clearing it up MJ. Man you are making me want to skip out on the 14th and go with you guys. But right now it seems almost impossible:( Make sure you take pics.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ARE YOU SURE MJ?

I'm not saying it wasn't released. It probably was. I'm questioning if it was a charter.
It states "Capt. Bruce Scheible of Scheible's Fishing Center conveyed a party of anglers to the Southwest Middle Grounds for an evening of croaker fishing last Sunday. The anglers were using heavy-action spinning outfits armed with 15-pound test line and No. 2 hooks, a perfect rig for catching croaker. Mixed with the croaker were jumbo spot to 12 inches and at least one 65-pound red drum. The drum hit the bottom rig and peeled off most of the reel's line, then slugged it out for nearly a half-hour before coming to bay."
Who would pay to go out on a charter to fish for croaker? I wouldn't!

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Quite a few people just go night fishing for croakers on charters. I guess if you got the money and don't want a crowded headboat, then why not. Personally I wouldn't just go fishing for croakers on a charter but that just me. Just my two cents. I went out on the Olumpus last year and someone caught a 30-40 lb red drum on that trip. The Olympus fish the Point Lookout area. Nice fish but was kept as it was legal last year.
-Anthony

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings All!

I'm basically going by Scheible's web site:

http://scheibles.homestead.com/CharterBoat.html

which shows charter boats. Capt Dave gets a lot of charters for croaker fishing only -- mostly in June when freezers are starting to run low, but a lot of folks opt for night croaker trips because of the guaranteed action (plus the croakers are real horses, and you really start to feel the muscles ache when your an hour into double-header action.) A lot of folk just charter for rock (stripers), which can be a lot of action during day trips since you have to cull through a lot of shorts. But a twenty inch hardhead will outpull a striper of the same size. You won't get many runs, but the croakers try hard as hell to get back down to the bottom....

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings Jason!

If we do half as good as we did last year, I gaurantee you'll be breaking your neck to go next year. We'll take plenty of pics for you...

Yo Anthony! You still in? I'll be sending the directions to you and Jamey (Duke of Fluke) some time next week. Latest pics on the Sawyer Charter's Site show lots of limits of rock. I'm going to have to research red drum baits since this will be my first time taking a shot at them. Maybe a nice fresh spot head? Or some fresh shrimp? Should be a blast... let me know if you want in on the crabfeast (I don't eat them out of the shell, but I really enjoy a good MD style broiled crab cake.) Bring your sharpest fillet knife!

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Hey Jake,
Hell yeah I'm still in. I've been itching to fish with guys like you and Jamey. I'm sure that I can learn a thing or two. We still got to try and convince Jason to join us. You could always call in sick that morning and join us. :D As for red drum baits, a large piece of fresh cut bait works well, a half a peeler/soft crab, maybe a small spot, or if you see them swimming, a bucktail with a plastic worm may work too. It really is a matter of right place and right time. Crabs sound good to me but may not want to depending on when we get back from fishing. Oh and the whole Scheible's thing, the Owner sold the Party Boat that he had because it was using up too much fuel. I am pretty sure that he hasn't bought another one so hopefully that will solve the issue. Anyway, see you guys on the 21st.
-Anthony

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Anthony ain't no calling in sick in the military but there is sneaking out early and disapearing though. Right now my chances don't look good but will have to play it by ear. Trust me I want to go!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts