Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
maybe someone can help me out here. i have a 5500 with benfeild side plate, and ceramics, my problem is that when i press down the spool release on the right side plate it sometimes pops up during the cast causing breakoffs. any suggestions??? rolland suggested a rubberband but i think there is some permenant solution to this. if the drag is tight you can't even push the button down. i have other abu's and have never experienced this problem. something just sounds wrong. ok you abu pros, lets hear it !!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Use your dremel tool and cut a slot at the top or bottom of the side plate opening. When you engage the level slide it into the slot and it will not pop but out during the cast. I have a couple of springs that Frank Minister gave me that snaps over the lever and holds it in free spool. Have also modified my benfield plate with o-rings to prevent spool contact and also to stop back play of the plate.
If we get an early drum bite, probably will fish. Already had a couple of nice fish around rodanthe pier. Trying hard to top the monster 81lb. that I caught last fall. So when I comes to fishing or casting its gotta be fishing.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
couple good suggestions. got your email tres and my order will be sent in tomorow. i would rather not cut up the reel so i'll try the handle first. just seems to me that something is causing it to pop up during the cast as i said my other abus dont do it.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Demonfish,

It sounds like 'inertia' during the cast is making the handle rotate enough to re-engage to main drive or you are catching the handle on your clothing/body at some stage.

Dependant upon how old the reel is - older reels have a parallel spring that can be changed to a stronger unit, newer models, the spring system is of an inferior system and is difficult to increase the pressure to reduce this.

Change the handle for a smaller counter balanced unit.

Cutting a slot in the 'push button' will reduce this however it will 'burr over' the pawl on the lever that engaged in to the castelated gear under the main gear, if held in place the small detent wears prematurely. A strong rubber band does the same job (1/4" of a thumbie will do) - still causes the problem with the pawl.

Have you thought about slackening off the drag completely before each cast. (if it's on a touney reel it wouldn't be a problem as the drag isn't used like a fishing reel).

Just some thoughts.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think Led has it right. Inertia makes the handle rotate enough to engage the main drive. I have three Abu's, make that four, so before I cast I turn the handle so I can put my index finger around one of the handle ends to keep it from moving during the cast.
Haven't had a breakoff for this reason since then.
Gordon

·
Registered
578 Posts
Frank all of the above work , you can also try heavy grease inside the gear box , sometimes in our quest to make reels faster we clean out to much and the gears and handle become silky smooth and lets the reel pop into gear to easily

1 - 8 of 8 Posts