Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got 2 11' rods.no good reels for them.my girlfriend wants to try kingfishing with me soon.should i replace my old jigmasters or can i get out far enough with the 5500s?

no levelwind,hotsause added,5oz anchor,slam full of 15lb. thanks for reply.i havent tried this outfit because rods are at the beach and the 5500s are with me in charlotte where i live.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Far enough ?

You should be able to cast plenty far enough. The main reason to throw the anchor far is more area to fish in.IE the further out you are the shallower the angle. You can run the bait out further. I'd put a topshot on the reel just for casting purposes also it helps when you try to pull the anchor in. What are you using for your fighting reels?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i bought the shera a 309 cheap.figured id see if she digs it first.if so ill get her a 445 or something.i grew up kingfishing the days when it was a 6/0 and 50 dacron.last ten years i use a 4/0 with 30 mono.i used to use a diawa 50 with 15 ande with a topshot of 30 dacron.where i kingfished we didnt catch cobia so you didnt need much really.

i was shocked to hear so much on this site about 6000 and 5500s.never dreamed they would have a use in distance casting.7000 maybe.well,thanks for your input!i will give the 5500s a sling.i know it will do but i just wonder if ill get it out there close to what i did with a jigmaster,

·
Registered
990 Posts
Surf Rigs

This was moved because of stupidity of postng in wrong thread. Here it is: Maybe

I have a 11 foot conventional Sealine X rod that I've used for 7-8 years now.

It has been modified to extend it to 11 1/2 feet to make the handle longer. It has also been spiral wrapped.

A lot of fish have come up over the sand while using it.

Lately, I have been evaluating the 13 foot AFAW Surf (3-5oz) and the 11 foot AFAW Estuary (1-3 oz). Both are winners albeit underrated somewhat.

I have tested them in both configurations; spinning and conventional. Both work well in either. I use the SURF with an ABU 6500CS Mag Elite and the Estuary with an ABU 5500C.

I use neither for slide fishing. They're for Pompano and other fish .

I use a 15 foot fiberglass spinning rod with a Mitchell 402 as my anchor rod, One fighting rod is a 7 foot composite. The reel is an old Penn 66 Long Beach that you can pull stumps with. Sometimes, I will use my other Penn 140L Squidder. Both Squidders are magged.

I have a 140L Penn Squidder with another 7 foot composite rod as my other fighting rod. Yes; I fish with two fighting rods. One on each bar. It gets interesting sometimes. C2

·
Registered
125 Posts
I am wondering what test line you would use. I use a sqidder on an OM for my anchor and was using 20# test but I am gonna go to 40# because I am tired of losing anchors and I think I can get a tighter line=less angle. I dont see why it wouldnt work though the line will definately stretch over the day, especially for a really far out anchor, and I think you might lose some anchors. You could probably cast to outer space though.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey scsurfcaster.this is all kind of an experiment.i always used jigmasters or spinning reels in the past.for a while i used a penn 9 with levelwind removed.it was ehhh...
i have two rods for anchor rods......no reels for my anchor rodsanymore.thought id try one of my5500-c's.ive removed levelwind,cleaned out bearings and added some hotsause.i always used 15 ande back in the day for my anchor rods.ive also thrown 17.im attempting to try either 12 or 14lb test with a shockleader and a 4-5oz home made anchor.this all started by me wondering if the 5500 would throw far enough to be used as an anchor reel.now im obsessed!!hahaha.today i loaded one of my 5500s full of 20(thats all i had around).i emptied the spool but thats not a big deal with a small reel.

so what do you think??if i hit it it should sail! if not the birds will have a great nest and the usa will have launched another one into orbit!haha

·
Registered
572 Posts
hey scsurfcaster.this is all kind of an experiment.i always used jigmasters or spinning reels in the past.for a while i used a penn 9 with levelwind removed.it was ehhh...
i have two rods for anchor rods......no reels for my anchor rodsanymore.thought id try one of my5500-c's.ive removed levelwind,cleaned out bearings and added some hotsause.i always used 15 ande back in the day for my anchor rods.ive also thrown 17.im attempting to try either 12 or 14lb test with a shockleader and a 4-5oz home made anchor.this all started by me wondering if the 5500 would throw far enough to be used as an anchor reel.now im obsessed!!hahaha.today i loaded one of my 5500s full of 20(thats all i had around).i emptied the spool but thats not a big deal with a small reel.

so what do you think??if i hit it it should sail! if not the birds will have a great nest and the usa will have launched another one into orbit!haha
I have only king fished in NC and from my experience using 12# mono for the line on a anchor reel would not be strong enough to pull in my anchors because it would break off when pulling up. I use 20# course on a 7500ct Abu for your info. The most common # line used where I fish is either 17 or 20# mono for an anchor line with 40-50# shock on top. I don't remember where you fish from but maybe the bottom would let an anchor weight release easier than where I fish at.

My point...don't use the lighter line for an anchor line.

Your 5500 Abu would have enough line for an anchor reel I'm quite sure...with 17# test. You'd be out there...use it if you want to. My .02 cents.

Good luck

RT

·
Registered
69 Posts
Using a penn squidder with 17# on a 11' chopped to 10'6 for 1 of my anchor poles.
I find I'll get back 4 out of 5 anchors. Thats fishing off Apache or CG. As long as the pull out is steady.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
castfan you fish close to my old stomping grounds.i lived in nmb most of the 80's.i fished tighlmans pier and holiday inn.i fished cg a few times.hugo got my piers down south. anchors hold on for good down there dont they?when i used 15 ande i would just sit there with preasure til the anchor would finally let go-or break!haha.ill probably run 14 and a shock leader just to get me by.when the budget starts budging ill restock.My girlfriend and my son want to kingfish so bad.Because of the crowds these days id rather be in a yak or dragging shrimp/minnows for trout and flounder.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Guess i'm old school.

Back in the day, we used 30-40# mono , so we wouldn't leave snags all over the place.
I know we use AT LEAST 25lb line, no less. There is nothing worse than gettn a good cobia hit or king hit only to loose it in the tangle of anchors from fishing trips gone by.

Robert

·
Registered
572 Posts
Guess i'm old school.

Back in the day, we used 30-40# mono , so we wouldn't leave snags all over the place.
Yes, even though I said 17-20# mono, dawg is right on about that with nearly all the anchors got back in and no or hardly any line left to break off, then the chance of losing a good fish to a snag is minimal.

I stand informed about that and corrected.;)

RT

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I run 25# on all my anchor rods. I usually fish CG and I get most of my anchors back (unless I hit the snag monster off spot 11).

Moe, I'd be wary of running Hot Sauce oil in those 5500s. That stuff is fast. I tried it in my tourney reel one time, then switched back to RRF.

SCsurfcaster, 40# will probably be overkill and you'd lose more in casting distance than you'd gain from a tighter line. Stick it down to 25 or 30.

Evan

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.