Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As quoted by Neil Mackellow-
The primary method of spool control on the 525 Mag is via the sliding control that operates the magnetic brakes. Secondly, the thickness of oil in the spool and shaft bearings and finally line level.
The 525 Mag has a completely different spool system from conventional beach reels allowing even more precise tuning. The spool itself has two inboard bearings which are sensitive to oil viscosity. For general shore fishing I recommend the use of either Red or Yellow label Rocket Fuel in the spool bearings. Red Label is ideal for most conditions, providing safe casting in most circumstances. The thinner Yellow Label will result in a faster running spool. But, coupled with a high line level this may, in adverse weather conditions such as severe head wind be too fast even with maximum magnets.
In addition to the two spool bearings the shaft also runs on bearings. One is under the domed nut below the star drag while the other is in the opposite end plate under the brass spacer. Because of the reel design the oil in these bearings will also affect spool speed.
Factory filled with a fairly thick oil, it is possible to speed up the reel by flushing these bearings and re-oiling with a thinner oil. Again, Red Rocket Fuel is recommended for general fishing, while Yellow Rocket Fuel will make things even faster.
The 525 Mag spool is approx 2mm larger in diameter compared to most other current reels. This means that with the line level with the spool flange you are running the equivalent of an overloaded tournament reel. This will require more braking than normal so unless you really do need the extra capacity keep the level down to 2mm to 3mm below the inner spool flange.

This will require more braking than normal so unless you really do need the extra capacity keep the level down to 2mm to 3mm below the inner spool flange.
So My question is ,To get better distance with my 525Mag,I shouldn't fill the spool all the way up?
Doesn't go against conventional wisdom of filling the spool,1/8 to the end?To get better distance with my 525Mag,I shouldn't fill the spool all the way up?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Hi Nserch4Drum,

If you fill the spool to the top it will spin faster than normal at the start of the cast. If it starts faster, it will require more braking power to control the reel. If you add more braking power to control the reel, the extra brakes will kill the cast and shorten the distance. The best setting will allow you to cast hard and not tangle the line. This is accomplished by balancing the oil viscosity, the magnet setting, and the line level. A bird nest is the result of the line coming of the spool faster than the sinker can pull the line out to sea. The spool slows as the line level drops. Therefore, the key is getting the spool to slow down at the same rate that the sinker is slowing due to air resistance. Finally, if you start with the line level too low, the spool will spin slowly at the start costing you distance. Once you find the combination that works for you stay with it.

Casting Help

·
Registered
10 Posts
If I may offer a suggestion. Since you quoted Neil directly from his websites' Technical Advice column, why don't you post your question on his forum? I can't think of a better place to do so. He is certainly more qualified to answer your question than most of us. His url=www.neilmackellow.sea-angler.org . You may also want to post on the Distance Casting forum and give the tournament folks an opportunity to reply. Lots of expertise there too. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
375 Posts
There was a thread on my site recently about 'free energy'. Inferring or asking, if you overload a spool with line whether the extra rotational forces work for or against you. IMHO too much line simply requires more braking. All my big casts - 800ft plus - were made with a reel that ran very slowly with a line level on a 6500 level with the spool lip, thick oil in the bearings. STP on the spool shaft and no brakes. Nothing in life is free. BB:p

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Looks like he answered the question fine

:D
You didn't know he posted on this board, did you?

I think it's pretty cool how the distance guys stick together like that.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanxs for the 411

Thanxs all,I am hoping to squeeze more distance outta the 525Mag.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts