Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hit the beach east of the CBBT at 7. Incoming tide. Stiff westerly breeze. First cast with conventional outfit my Suffix line breaks and I launch a brand new Crippled Herring a hundred yards of line into the stratosphere. Doh! I tie a Dirty Dick (don’t laugh) on my spinning outfit, cast out, and snag the line from the conventional outfit retrieving a hundred yards of Suffix and the Crippled Herring. HooRah! A half a hundred casts later I surprise myself by catching a fat 24” striper on my Dirty Dick (don’t laugh). I always surprise myself when I catch a fish. After a half hundred more cast, I left pleasantly happy with my success. When I get back to the whip, I can’t find my keys. Doh! I return to the beach and search and search only to find the keys in the bottom of my waders. HooRah! I go home before causing any more damage.

Has anyone else had similar problems with Suffix. The line was kinked and crimped and somehow just separated. It wasn’t the force of the cast, but more like the line just broke down and disintegrated deep in my reel. I wash my reels thoroughly after every trip and the line was relatively fresh - only used 4 times. I like the physical qualities of Suffix, but this isn’t the first time it has broken on me. What are other’s experiences? Any other good hi-vis lines with low memory and thin diameter? Check out the medium Dirty Dick or Kastmasters while the fish are feeding on silversides and shrimp.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Didn't say what pound test. But I've had that problem when I've had a blowup, that after clearing the tangle. Would be rewarded by looseing my lure and alot of line on the next cast. After a couple of these, I noticed while straighing out my line a wrap would get between spool and body of reel. The line is not as tough or hard as say Big Game, this line would stop my reel. But I would nick the line so that on my next cast the line would part.
Quikiest fixes is tighen brake, or go to a bigger line.
I've used Suffix exclusively for a year, spring,summer,fall and winter and love it.
my $.02
tw

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. I use 14lb test and I think that is exactly what happened. the line was kinked after a backlash and must have gotten nicked. You're right, the only way to fix it is learn to cast!

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Hey TW & Fisherman,
What reels are you guys using? This happens to me alot on my Penn 920. Everytime I adjust(loosen) the spool tension/brake, there's a gap that the line can get stuck in.
I have Stren 14# and may have to bump up to 20#.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got the Abu 6500. I loosened the spool and brake to increase casting distance. I'll try to tighten it up. The reel is new and I'm experimenting with settings. Guess I'll keep experimenting. Let the folks at Suffix know to keep pumping out that 14lb pink stuff.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I have the 6500C3 and C4 and haven't had an issue with these reels. But, I don't loosen it too much cuz I try not to throw anything lighter than 1/2 oz lure on those reels.

·
Registered
162 Posts
to answer you question, i have the yellow suffix (i think titanium) and i have had the same problem. it is a good line but every now and than i get a weak spot and have cost me a few lures and some good size strippers. i use 17 with 30lb shock leader

1 - 7 of 7 Posts