Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Arrived at Sandy Pt. a little after 6 AM yesterday. We fished about 30 feet to the right of the tree. Two guys were down on the point; they caught two stripers around 29", but we were left empty-handed. We moved down to the point after those two left and fished there until some time after 11:00 to hit the Eastern Shore and get something to eat. Mcrae showed up just as we were leaving.

Goofed around on the shore and had some lunch and a few beers, stopped at Romancoke and Matapeake where nothing was happening. We headed back to Sandy Pt. around 3:30 and found Mcrae, Steve, Darryl and a few other folks fishing. They had several horse croakers and everyone had their limits on nice stripers around 30".

I had brought a friend with me who has never been saltwater fishing. I promised her she'd catch a big striper if we went and was starting to worry we'd get skunked. But we set up on the point and started catching a few. She caught two tiny stripers (which I made constant fun of her for) and I reeled in a horse croaker that somehow managed to get his mouth around an 8/0 circle hook.

Just as she was reeling in a smaller fish on one of the rods, another rod went nuts. I picked it up, adjusted the drag, and jammed the rod into her hands.

When it was beached after three big runs, she had a 38" striper on the sand. We caught another horse croaker (half of these things must be citations) and decided to call it a night.

The fish was caught on a bottom rig on bloodworm and the line was out as far as I could get it.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was a lot of fun, but I've gotta' tell ya--handing her that rod was the hardest thing I've ever done :D

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
A "few other folks" just happened to be Husky, Jangwuah, and I. We fed the fish for the whole afternoon. We watched "those point fisherman' catch and release fish after fish. Husky even talked to one of them.

I left around 5:30 with nothing to show but some good casting practice with the new heaver rod/reel setup.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You guys should have come over and said hi! Were you around to the left? I didn't even recognize you guys.

On a side note, what do you guys think of the odds of us getting the park to install fish cleaning stations?

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
no, that was saturday--jamcaster was there when we were there. Sand Flea said he was fishing Sunday. On easter?

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
You know, they have fish cleaning stations at the parks in many states. Here in MD they don't even seem willing to collect garbage. If they won't collect garbage, they aren't going to have fish cleaning stations. Where would we put the fish guts, heads, etc.?

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They're still consistently kicking people out at 6 though. I can't imagine what the overnight fishing would be like there if they left it open to us...

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Just got off the horn with the head bubba at SPSP concerning the installation of fish cleaning stations for the shore fisherman (That's us). He told me that the majority of SPSP users (Da boat guys) feel they would not use them. As boaters make up over 95% of the users of the park, they idea was dropped like a hot potato. :(

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I can't believe they'd say that. Sounds like they simply don't want to put them in.

Boaters need to clean fish just as bad as we do...ridiculous. Every marina I've ever seen had a fish cleaning station.

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
Sounds like spsp was the place to be after the morning chill burned off. Axon and I met up with Sandcrab and Husky and didn't catch any fish :( Did get to feel about 8 skates on the rods between axons brother and I. oh well maybe next year. :p

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
FL,

Good to meet you guys! At least you caught something! I ended up with sunburn from SPSP when I was sitting and waiting.

Heard the blues invaded IRI yesterday! Why weren't they there Saturday during the awful weather? Metal I got. ;)

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
We just missed them everywhere.
I will no dount catch them when I DON"T fish with sandcrab. He seems to be bad luck.
:D

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
I have great luck when I don't fish with HuskyMD. :D Remind me not to take him under my wing anymore. ;)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts