Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out practicing tonite with a baseball and had some improvements. Timing is still off and I'm still dropping my pulling arm, but keeping the rod tip low through rotation made the improvements.

Last Saturdays Long Casters practice helped out alot so I could identify where I needed to improve. THANK YOU James.

How far should I expect to throw a baseball with a Breakaway 11'9"blank and a Penn 525mag or Abu 6500.

I'm getting hooked on long distance casting.

Nelson

·
Registered
551 Posts
Congratulations On Your Improvement!

Hi Nelson,

It is nice to see that your distance is improving.

You have to remember that your distance is limited with the equipment that you are using. The ball produces quite a bit of resistance and is used mainly to keep the distance down so that the user can find average sized fields to practice casting. Secondly, distance is also a by-product of the length of your rod.

I am sure that James will way in when he returns from Crisfield, Maryland (Sportcast USA Worlds Casting Tournament) this weekend.

Please tell your father that I said hello!

·
Registered
680 Posts
longcaster.rolland j. hit over 800ft. at crisfield this morning. he almost got it a second time. congratulations to the big guy and keep them coming.:cool: :cool:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hey Gravedigger.....

.....distance sounds good to me. What type/style of cast are you using. You mentioned the tip kept low to the ground; is this an off the ground cast or hatteras-style? I'm using the modified OTG taught in the class and keeping the tip in the mid-range seems most effective.

If you're an 8NBait type fisherman, you may want to add some weight to that baseball. I drilled a gap and installed a 3oz lead to simulate more fishing conditions. After practicing with the standard baseball, I found my timing was way off when it came time to use it fishing on the beach with 8oz and bait.

Using the 8oz baseball, I was still hitting 380-410' yesterday on the football field. Using a video camera as a guide, I still need work on finishing the pull with the left arm but other components of the cast look good. Best of luck, John.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts