Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read a bunch of posts on other sites badmouthing the penn 345, syaing it couldnt stand up to a big fish, or to the blazing fast run of a king, tarpo, jack, or for anyfast swimming fish. I cant tell you how far from the truth that is. I my self have caught dozens of 100+lb sharks on mine. A few jacks, and just this year i have 4 kings on mine from the apache pier (19lb 4oz, 37lb 8oz, 27lb, 18lb 13oz). And not once in the 5years i have had mine have i hade the level wind freeze or have had the reel screw up and make me lose a fish...

go and check out my 37 1/2 lb king in the pic section of this site. It is in summer 2003 pic #11. And tell me a 345 cant catch a king..

·
Registered
823 Posts
NEVER HAD THE LEVELWIND SEIZE ON MY 320 OR MY 330. good reels as far as i am concerned.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks.... I caught it off of a pin rig using a live blue. I have a 11 /2 foot master rod with a penn 310Gti on it. Wasnt to long of a fight only about 20mins. I was reelll lucky, during the fight on the second 400 yard run i felt the hooks pop out. When sherri put the first gaff and crazy bob got the second in it we realized the fish was lassood around the tail. Must have happened during fight. Only thing keepin it up right was the leader rapped up in its teeth. Lucky i use 6ft leaders or that fish would still be swimming.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.