Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
3,775 Posts
People Try it all the time. Forget it though. People block up the ramps all day on the north end of CB getting stuck even in 4X4's. Both ends have very soft sand. Moreso then hatteras.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I pass 4x4 stuck all the time And I know the time is coming but as of now
I have never been delayed on the beach . . You have to air down and use
your head.. I have had 4x4 but right now all I have is a 2 wd and don't plan
on quitting surf fishing.. But if you don't know how to drive in the sand even
the biggest 4x4 isn't enough..

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
I've experimented and made it down the first stretch at FF before crossover 1 in 2wd many times, but normally need to engage 4wd at the turn. Only made it over to the beach once or twice without it. Then again, most of those times have either been in the winter and early spring or after a hard rain before a bunch of idiots get in there without airing down and begin to tear up the beach. But yeah, it wouldn't be very wise to drive on the beach down there without 4wd. Regardless, AIR DOWN!

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
i noticed in the pic the sun was coming up, can you camp or stay the night on the beach @ fort fisher?[/QUOTE

Not this time of year, closes at 7:30

·
Registered
996 Posts
Way back in the late 70's early 80's before FF got so popular my brother and I would take his beat up Buick Electra 225 out there without any problems. Last time I went down to the fort 5 years ago I nearly buried my Isuzu Trooper in 4 wheel low in the cut over.

·
3,775 Posts
back then

Way back in the late 70's early 80's before FF got so popular my brother and I would take his beat up Buick Electra 225 out there without any problems. Last time I went down to the fort 5 years ago I nearly buried my Isuzu Trooper in 4 wheel low in the cut over.
Up until Hurricane Floyd, You could drive a car on the back sides near the water/marsh areas as they were hard at low tide. You can no longer drive through there. Once you get on the beach and cross over at number 1, its pretty much all beach drving until near the end.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I guess things change at the beach due to the whims of nature (and the transgressions of idiots).

Good times back then though. We'd drive down, set up camp, do a bit of fishing on the beach for food and clamming in the bay for money. I think clams brought a whopping 6 cents each back then. Paid better than working on the boardwalk and not as likely to get killed as shrimping.

Sorry about the highjack, just fond memories from my teen years.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
At the Fort, I have seen many a fool try it and many a fool fail. I even saw someone in a VW Beatle and a VW done buggy and they did not get pass the entrance.

I hate to sound calous but if your not in a 4x4 and you get stuck, don't expect me to spend the little precious time I have digging you out. I will call a tow truck for you(done that) and I have given away my tire gauge and a shovel, but that is the extent of it. Even the rangers will not help you.

The sign says "4X4 Vehicles ONLY. Rangers will not assist" within the first 20 yards after the gate and they mean it. You ignore it,,your on your own:D

·
DISTANCE CASTING SPONSOR
3,349 Posts
Back in the 80's I used to see a guy down there (FF) all the time in a mid 70's ford squire stationwagon, complete with wood panel sides... :)

He would drive right down on the sugar sand. i stopped and took a look once just to make sure he didn't have a front differential tucked under there. Nope, just overwide tires and rims on the back with low air pressure and great skill at beach driving.

Tommy

·
Registered
508 Posts
At the Fort, I have seen many a fool try it and many a fool fail. I even saw someone in a VW Beatle and a VW done buggy and they did not get pass the entrance.

I hate to sound calous but if your not in a 4x4 and you get stuck, don't expect me to spend the little precious time I have digging you out. I will call a tow truck for you(done that) and I have given away my tire gauge and a shovel, but that is the extent of it. Even the rangers will not help you.

The sign says "4X4 Vehicles ONLY. Rangers will not assist" within the first 20 yards after the gate and they mean it. You ignore it,,your on your own:D
Really wouldn't expect you to I cary my own shovel ,boards ,jack,and
tow strap just incase somebody NICE happens to ride by but if not
I wil dig jack and on drive boards with 12 psi in my tires mybe less if need
be . JUST because I'm A Unemployed Trim carpenter at the moment
And lost my 4x4 Does this mean I should quit surf fishing?? Don't get me
wrong if it's reel chitty out there I don't go .. Or maybe after I do get stuck
I won't go anymore until then it's about 12 trips on different beaches and still
truckin on in my 2wd...

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Really wouldn't expect you to I cary my own shovel ,boards ,jack,and
tow strap just incase somebody NICE happens to ride by but if not
I wil dig jack and on drive boards with 12 psi in my tires mybe less if need
be . JUST because I'm A Unemployed Trim carpenter at the moment
And lost my 4x4 Does this mean I should quit surf fishing?? Don't get me
wrong if it's reel chitty out there I don't go .. Or maybe after I do get stuck
I won't go anymore until then it's about 12 trips on different beaches and still
truckin on in my 2wd...
You missed the point,,,

it is against the law and the rules to drive a 2wd on Ft Fisher, not so much that it is unwise and foolish. You break the rules/law you're on your own.

But if you do and WHEN you get stuck, here is the name of a Towing Service that will come get you:
AUSTINS TOWING‎
502 GREEN CT., CAROLINA BEACH, NC‎ - (910) 540-7699‎

If you don't have a cell phone with you, it is a short walk back to the rangers station and they have a phone.

By the way, you don't have to give up surf fishing, you just can't drive on the beach with a 2wd to do it. Park in the public beach access areas and buy or make a surf cart and walk in.

·
Registered
508 Posts
You missed the point,,,

it is against the law and the rules to drive a 2wd on Ft Fisher, not so much that it is unwise and foolish. You break the rules/law you're on your own.

But if you do and WHEN you get stuck, here is the name of a Towing Service that will come get you:
AUSTINS TOWING‎
502 GREEN CT., CAROLINA BEACH, NC‎ - (910) 540-7699‎

If you don't have a cell phone with you, it is a short walk back to the rangers station and they have a phone.

By the way, you don't have to give up surf fishing, you just can't drive on the beach with a 2wd to do it. Park in the public beach access areas and buy or make a surf cart and walk in.
Thanks for the number just might need that one day...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.