Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll just start by saying that fishing was incredibly slow. I was fishing from about 4PM until about 8 and came up with nothing essentially.
I landed two little fish one after another. Not sure what they were. I also landed what was actually a pretty good spot. All of this was caught on cut shrimp.

I don't think I like this pier very much. Apart from being slow, you can't cast out at all and even in dropping the line straight down I lost two rigs (including a new gotcha plug) and my roommate lost one. The shrimp was bought at the tackle shop on the pier and it fell apart at the slightest touch and wouldn't stay on the hook for anything.
The whole time there, not 5 minutes would go by without seeing someone struggling to free their rigs. Also, apart from my catchings, I saw only 3 ribbonfish and like two pinfish pulled up.
As I was about to leave I was playing with a Rat-L-Trap which also got snagged only this time I was lucky to get snagged on a rig that wasn't stuck too hard to anything so I got myself a steel bottom rig with a 4 oz sinker. I'd call that the best luck of the day, only when I went to get my clippers from my tackle box, the top tray dumped out and I lost about 4 jigheads, some #4 shank hooks, and probably more (I saved most of my circles and khales as well as the remainder of my swivels.

I'm getting off topic so I'll just sum up by saying that fishing was pretty slow and annoying.

-=The Prynce

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
2nd ave pier has coral or structures on both sides which can be seen at low tide...this actually makes fishing good but one has to watch out for snags...its like fishing the rivers with a rocky bottom...depending on the tide, I would use a small float with a leader so many inches depending on the tide just to hover over the bottom..

I think toward the end of the pier it clears up to a sandy bottom...:fishing:

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
you mean casting is not allowed? or you just get snagged when you do cast out?
You can cast all you want, but theres a lot of rocks all around the pier, some you can see towards the surf at low tide like Danman said. You need to be using bank sinkers and don't be afraid to lose a few rigs. I tie my own and pour my own leads, so I don't lose much except a swivel and 2 hooks. Off the end a ways there's a nice rock pile where some sea bass are caught, squid or mullet works. Whiting are good there, too.
I like the pier, you just gotta find out where the structure is.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can cast all you want, but theres a lot of rocks all around the pier, some you can see towards the surf at low tide like Danman said. You need to be using bank sinkers and don't be afraid to lose a few rigs. I tie my own and pour my own leads, so I don't lose much except a swivel and 2 hooks. Off the end a ways there's a nice rock pile where some sea bass are caught, squid or mullet works. Whiting are good there, too.
I like the pier, you just gotta find out where the structure is.
I'll have to give it another go in the fall when fishing picks up, I guess. I saw far less people getting snagged at the very end, but we were still having a time down past the middle past the cleaning station.
I tie most of my own rigs but none of those got caught which was lame, lol. The only bought rig was a fish finder, though, which I got for right at $1 so I wasn't too ticked. Losing a brand new Gotcha did set my mood a little more negative, lol.

I'll head down at low tide sometime and see what I can see. Right now I'm 'shopping' piers to see who gives the best local discount with the best fishin', but I think I'll have to give this another shot since you guys think its worth it.

Thanks!

-=The Prynce

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
Glad to help. The main reason I choose it is because they have the hotel right there, and if you stay there you get free fishing. 2 people staying for 4-5 days at $8 a pop to fish gets expensive.

Also, you should probably use the Gotchas a little farther out in deeper water, since they sink so fast.

I've always done good out there, but everywhere is awful slow this time of the year. I'm waiting til September before I come back down.

Seen a few pomps pulled up (I usually fish at the end, so I don't see too many), plenty of whiting, plenty of Spanish when they're running, 1 hour before high tide and 2 or so after is the best time, done fairly well with blues, hit a great trout run early November a few years ago, ect. Flounder are pretty good also, but I heard the water temp is too hot for them right now.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
on the scdnr report today, they reported 15 flounder being taken daily, has anyone seen this happen? with structure and sand, flounder should be plentiful.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
on the scdnr report today, they reported 15 flounder being taken daily, has anyone seen this happen? with structure and sand, flounder should be plentiful.
That report was from the 11th and I think that's the trend from the week prior to and up to that date so it may have been at least a week ago.
I was out there for about 4 hours and didn't see a single flattie brought up (and they normally get plenty of attention). That report was the #1 reason I went there, though and it was last Monday that I went so that's almost a week now, too.

To sum it up, that's what it says but no one mentioned getting flounder nor did I see anything but ribbonfish for the most-part.

-=The Prynce

·
Super Moderator
3,417 Posts
That report was from the 11th and I think that's the trend from the week prior to and up to that date so it may have been at least a week ago.-=The Prynce
I've also wondered about the "timing" on that report. I think you're correct - it may run a week behind or even two. There have been at least two trips I've made down there when nothing was caught that remotely resembled the report and the folks out there on say Garden City Pier indicate that they fished there last week and didn't see what was on the report either.

I also wonder not only about the timing, but also about the specific folks giving them info.

·
Super Moderator
3,417 Posts
I think you are on the right track, blue.

I don't want to change the subject here, but I have seen several of you discuss Pier 14.

I don't know where that pier is.

I only make it down a couple of weeks a year, and over the past thirty-or-so years, I have fished CG, Apache, 2d Ave, State Park, Springmaid, Surfside, Garden City, even Ocean Isle in NC. I know nothing about Pier 14.

Is it new???? By "new," I mean built within the past ten years or so??

·
Super Moderator
3,417 Posts
If you're on 2nd Avenue and look North (left), that's it. At least I think so. It's named Pier 14 because it's on 14th Avenue.

http://pier14.com/

I don't know how new it is.
Thanks, Smooth. Wow, has it been that long since I've been to 2d Avenue Pier?!?!?!? Or has my brain gone "kaput." The last time I was at 2d Ave, I do remember the structure down there and the hangups, but I don't remember there being a pier to the north of it! Maybe there was, and I was just catching so many fish I didn't notice. Yeah, maybe that's it! :)

·
Super Moderator
3,417 Posts
No problem. It says it was originally buit in '26. Was last closed for 5 months after Hugo hit.
Dunno how I missed a pier there, but I did!!!

Thanks again

·
Registered
134 Posts
i went to second ave the other day on vacation. He didn't have a line winder, any gotcha plugs, and wouldn't allow king fishing. I turned around and went home.

They won't get my business.

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
It's been almost 5 years since I've fished there so maybe it's changed. I remember everyone there being really nice except for one older guy in the shop.

They used to allow king fishing but I don't know if that's changed.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
Nope, no kingfishing. They don't have much in the shop except sinkers (no pyramids) and Spanish jigging rigs. You'll go through plenty of sinkers if you fish for more than an afternoon.
They do carry bait, I wouldn't get the shrimp there, but the frozen finger mullet are ok if you need some and can't get fresh. Haven't bought any other bait from there.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
overall this forum is the best indicator of unbiased fishing reports.
I could not agree more.

In terms of the DNR reports, BubbaHoTep is right in that the reports can be at least two weeks of. Say the 1st is a Monday. That's when they start logging for the report that's due out on the 7th (in theory. In reality it'd likely be a day or two before the 1st to allow time to compile the report in full). If there was a massive run of some species on the 1st and 2nd, that'd go on the report for the 7th which was already a week in the past at that point. If you fish the weekend after the 7th, that'll make it like the 12th or so which makes that run from the 1st and 2nd ten days off.
I fully appreciate the DNR reports and check them weekly to help establish POSSIBLE activity (which is why they call 'em trends and not current activity, I guess), but that makes me appreciate this forum and you guys and your reports even more.

-=The Prynce

1 - 20 of 25 Posts