Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out to see if i could jig some specks to start off my season. Tide was low, and no specs caught. Wondered out to deeper water to see if Rocks were still around. A few jerks of the 'ol shad - and i found 4 fish ranging from ~12" up to around 28". Hope they stick around until May 16th when they can come home and meet my filet knife.
Anyway, nice to get out and actually test my drag. BTW, I'm a size 13;).
IMG_0316[1].JPG

·
Registered
20 Posts
Went out to see if i could jig some specks to start off my season. Tide was low, and no specs caught. Wondered out to deeper water to see if Rocks were still around. A few jerks of the 'ol shad - and i found 4 fish ranging from ~12" up to around 28". Hope they stick around until May 16th when they can come home and meet my filet knife.
Anyway, nice to get out and actually test my drag. BTW, I'm a size 13;).
View attachment 67974
Where abouts on the York..we going Sunday

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Went to try again on Saturday (5/1). Same story. Still no trout or reds for me, but hooked two big 'ol bass. Landed one and had the other show me the tail splash at the surface, dart to the bottom and break me off at the flouro leader, so didn't get to see how big.
As for the first fish - I always knew i should keep the drop net close. This time it got me. Hooked the one in the picture below. Thought i was going to loose it on the pilings, but managed to get it to the surface. Did the 'hoist test' to see if it could lift it with my 20lb braid, but knew right away i would break something, so needed the net.......which was 50 yards away. Current trying to pull the fish away, i had to walk it around obstructions to get to the net, then land it by myself because nobody was around. Had pole in one hand....net in the other, using current to get the net under the fish. Second try, managed to hoist it up. YES!! and on the way up, the ol jerk shad comes loose. Perfect release. Looks to be around 24, but somebody has been gorging. Mooooooo. Sent back to get fatter. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts