Pier and Surf Forum banner
101 - 120 of 122 Posts

· Registered
884 Posts
Zing has one citation with over a hundred drum listed on it .... each one listed on second page .... it's on display in the Teaches Lair tackle shop ... never seen one like it ..... have known Zing for a long time, fished with him, worked for him .... and proud to say, I helped him catch his first citation Pomp ... which was easy with Lee ..... one great fisherman, a fish catchin machine, any fish and at the mention of big drum .... he's gone !

· Registered
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
62 is current leading number of Paper Drum

Tournament officials are still reviewing.

If anyone know of someone with documented number of Citations above 62;please reach out to Skidmore-Schilling-Burton LLP 1000 K Street Washington DC 20001.

· Registered
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
DrumPro Hollywood at 62. When you find yourself in a full time job, it hits the bottom line.

Shoe Fish Fisherman Fishing rod Jigging

Results pending verifications Tournament Officials are still sorting out entrants

Meanwhile:
Why does this DrumPro look pleased.
Because he broke his personal record for 11 Citations in one Day, along with 4 yearlings.
Take note GenX he took care not to count the Yearlings.

Water Sky Fisherman Fish Bermuda shorts

· Registered
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
Very rare to deck more than ten in one 24 hour period by one DrumPro, if you think it is easy just imagine strolling out the the Tee and having a half dozen fellas who can out cast you and have better bait connections....you need an edge....420 or Captain Morgan could help but a lot of the DrumPro's these days do not even know what 420 stands for so you may be unable to get them too inebriated to bust out a monster cast. These guys deck a monster and before you have even gotten your cast out the Pics hit Zuckerberg.

Plus DD's previous best day was on Kitty Hawk Pier several decades before. back when both DD and I were very good looking.

What does this mean, it means that the MAN Tournament was started way back when on Kitty Hawk Pier, back when DD was the MAN and Tournament Officials interviewed him about being number one.

GenX was not even born yet, when the best early Fall Pier was smoking hot.

We are taking more time this year to determine DrumPro number one because we need more time and want to get it right.....

· Registered
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
I stripped my 1509 yesterday of guides and took my time sanding off the factory paint finish. I am going to rewrap it. I was not pleased with the last rewrap so I did what needed to be done and got out the Heat Gun.
I also got 100 cork rings from Portugal via International mail these are going on my sticks, have hole saws coming to enlarge the opening on the cork rings to .875 which slides over a CTS butt nicely as well as the ALL Star with a bit of reaming. Even built a jig to glue the reel seats. Shame you cannot find cork grips already set up for heavers.

Things are getting stacked up at Garbo's custom rod shop, which only can manage a few sticks a season.

Two of the most memorable Drum I have decked and I mean decked on a Pier were taken on the 1509 that is now going to sport a GenX look. This 1509 was involved in the only time I caught 10 Citations in one 24 hour period on Rodanthe Pier. I want this 1509 to catch a few more before I am done.......

· Registered
375 Posts
Very rare to deck more than ten in one 24 hour period by one DrumPro, if you think it is easy just imagine strolling out the the Tee and having a half dozen fellas who can out cast you and have better bait connections....you need an edge....420 or Captain Morgan could help but a lot of the DrumPro's these days do not even know what 420 stands for so you may be unable to get them too inebriated to bust out a monster cast. These guys deck a monster and before you have even gotten your cast out the Pics hit Zuckerberg.

Plus DD's previous best day was on Kitty Hawk Pier several decades before. back when both DD and I were very good looking.

What does this mean, it means that the MAN Tournament was started way back when on Kitty Hawk Pier, back when DD was the MAN and Tournament Officials interviewed him about being number one.

GenX was not even born yet, when the best early Fall Pier was smoking hot.

We are taking more time this year to determine DrumPro number one because we need more time and want to get it right.....
April 20th 🚬

· Registered
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
Still researching and reaching out for numbers to the less vocal DrumPro's......we are creating a deadline for submissions..."a call for offers" is the term in Commercial Real Estate wherein the bids are due by a specific date.

4/20/2023 seems to far in the future....so Tournament Officials have selected 1/13/2023 which is Friday the 13th.

Tournament Officials refuse to participate in Zuckerberg/Meta so this will be the only notice unless you call in on the Secret Drum Hotline for more time....

Did communicate directly yesterday morning with Green Beret George who only fished the Spring and caught 39 Citations in three separate week long trips.

May ........2022 George said he was in a big bite with only six other fisherman at the ......spot.

20 citations and an additional 20 yearlings in one day pulled up on the sand at the ......spot. This is rarified earth. There are only a few who have beached or decked 20 Paper Drum in one 24 hour period....Zing, Twins, Savfish, I think Nick, George, TomH and perhaps a few others...not Garbo...

In my mind it is even harder off the beach like George did it....you are standing in sand....you are walking in sand....you are in the water....unless you are stretched out in a recliner spiking it, you are putting in work and it gets harder especially after night falls and you are in the Dark.

If you are a Pier say the one at Whalebone Junction..you can order Pizza....you can lay on the bench...if the bench is crowded you can lay in the lee of the Big House. When you hook up someone else usually nets it for you and a couple others pull it over the rail for you. All you have to do is unhook the Drum and pose for glamour shots and then slide-drop-muff the Drum over the rail and back into the drink...hopefully the Drum lands right.....I have found if you turn the Drum upside down and then slide him over through the crook of your arm they usually land right for me.

If you are really big and have big hands you can grip them by their tail section and then throw the Drum like a fat Dart headfirst right into the water. I actually never have tried this but it looks good until the Drum flips and lands bad.

Quicker they get back to the rail the better their chances. Perhaps when he was in his prime, the greatest caster I have ever been around unhooked one on Rodanthe Pier and then muffed the Drum when he was picking it up....Drum landed hard on the deck and began spouting blood from his gills and I mean pulsing blood, covering up the deck with Bright Red Blood. This Drum was not going to last five minutes out there in SHARKLAND, but the DrumPro dutifully tossed him back per regulations.

I would have kept it as this Drum was DDW (Dead Drum Walking) and I would have given it to a fried of mine who was born on the Hatteras long before they ever thought to build a Bridge over Oregon Inlet.

· Registered
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
Had a few moments today, instead of working I played and did the cork rings on this CTS 1307 Butt which will be similar to the 1509 Rebuild

I made a jig to hold the cork rings that had .750 ID from Portugal. I would have had to order 300 rings to have the .875 ID I wanted for CTS Rods.

Hole Sawing out the ring was less than satisfactory but the jig did hold the ring good for the old fashioned way of using a file to enlarge the ID.
Wood Wood stain Hardwood Table Gas

Wood Trunk Grey Wood stain Circle

Wood Tool Ruler Musical instrument Kitchen utensil

Wood Tool Metal Hardwood Wood stain

Wood Metalworking hand tool Gas Screw Nail

This last picture was what was in my hands for a good bit of the day.

I am like a amateur rod builder with a construction background.

I have to jury rig a turning lathe because my rod lathe is in a nice room where cork dust is not acceptable.

Attachments

· Registered
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
At the moment the top three DrumPro's

60 Devon
62 DrumProHollywood
64 DrumProBiker

The fellas at 62 and 60 might be thinking WTF....
One more trip to the Secret Spot might have turned the tide.....

101 - 120 of 122 Posts