Pier and Surf Forum banner
61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Most of the DrumPro's will not let anyone know what they have, a couple who have won multiple times have a habit of not telling anyone every what they got of they did not have the winning total.

Early in this game, only a couple will tell Tournament Officials but they do not want the World to know until late November. If you are in the lead, then you know it and if you want to win, you sandbag the others into a feeling of false security and let the eventual losers go off drinking or just do lazy time planking at Piers who then run you off in time to get a decent nights sleep, instead of point the truck out onto Sandland.

The ones that fish the hardest are in the lead.

Pretty sure last years DrumPro is not in the lead. Probably learning how to interdict smugglers and illegals coming in from Cuba, getting ordered to clean the latrines if he screws something up or goes Garbo on his Chief.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Yearlings are good for practice.

Yearlings if counted a bit too many times potentially could result in a Lifetime Ban for the miscreant. If you are banned then every DrumPro who walks out to the T or Drives out to the Secret Spots will know not only your name, but the names of the crew you run with. You might as well become a bait bitch at that point.

Remember it is better to be a Loser than a Cheater who gets caught, because if you Cheat and get caught then you Lose everything.

There were some controversies Last Year regarding the Yearling issue. Tournament Officials let the DrumPro's who had witnessed the events make the call, and the Tournament Officials then stood behind their decision.

Some years back a the owner of well known OBX Tackle Shop wanted to Monetize the MAN but after review (9 seconds worth of reviewing) it was deemed that too many people would then likely become liars and cheats, to win the $$$.

If you want to be an Outer Banks Legend it is best to do it the hard way.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
I have been practicing at home with a 12WT and 14WT Fly rods with shooting head systems. Spent most of my time using typical weight forward fly lines because I mostly did freshwater fishing with Fly Rods and 100 feet casts were not necessary. The Shooting head is pretty exciting, sucker just punches it on out there further than I have ever cast before.

I have researched stripping baskets and the prices seem ridiculous, may end up with either a kitchen Counter dish drainer or just use on of my trusty drywall buckets. On an OBX Pier I would not be able to take all the catcalls and sneers if I strap a dish strainer to my belly, but if I just set a drywall bucket in front of me and strip into that, I will be the one doing all the trash talking if I hook up. I just have to Post up on the left hand corner of the piers. (Can not be too windy)

Seen some nice pictures of Chesapeake Drum caught in boats recently.

There is an OBX secret spot accessible by foot that still should be producing Drum and a possible right now with a strong NE wind. If you are willing to tote your gear a bit and brave Mosquitos or are willing to soak yourself in 100% Deet you probably already know the place I am referencing.

Right now instead of working I am playing around with Fly Rods, it is kind of like way more fun.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Lopez your hijack prompted me to ask you if your Drum cycle is still around and working or did it bit the dust?

Tried out a very fancy Tarpon WF 12 line with a clear sinking tip. The clear tip was some type of really stiff mono and mighty thick. The Clear tip did not want to turn over, it kept getting snarled up. I had bought it at a huge discount on Ebay and the seller said it had been used only once. I took it off the reel and put back on a normal WF 10WT and the Loomis #10WT was putting in work again with tight looks with double haul. I am not going to bad mouth the manufacturer of that Tarpon sink tip line since they have been around as long as I have but it must have been some kind of error involved.

Test and Test and practice and practice so that when you are fishing for real there will be less problems when you get in the big game.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
After testing, I cut the fancy 15' clear sink tip of the 12WT Tarpon line clean off and now it casts pretty decent on a St. Croix 9Wt. So it is not a total loss. Suspect other fly rod guys have cut the clear tip off, it had all the built in casting ability and smoothness of 150 pound mono leader.

Lots of pictures of boat Drum in the Chesapeake but they count just as much as when you use a big 12" Stretched Mesh Gill net.

Seems like Seigler has paused on the SM models. Wonder if the lifetime warranty on a reel that gets doused with Salt Water was not really a good idea. I am not seeing any new ones available at the Seigler website.

I could hit up Travis or GolfPro but they seem to be busy, so I am reaching out to see what is what......

About six weeks and the action will start up again.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Blue Tarpon 12WT is the line that is now missing the clear tip in the foreground.

The other rods are part of the rod battery I am planning on turning loose on a Drum sometime.

I should get back to practicing with my heavers, but I am having a good time casting the fly rods these days in my front yard.

Satellite phone Wood Office supplies Sports equipment Flooring

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
I first cast a fly rod 58 years ago, spent a lot of time away from fly fishing, but came back to it more than a few times over the years. My Rich In-Laws lived in Potomac MD and had 6-7 acre pond that their home was adjacent to. It is a private pond and I grew up fly rod fishing for Largemouth Bass and Bluegill there. My In-laws had some deaths in the Family so their Home was sold and now I can no longer fish this pond. When I was in my late teens I used to sneak in to the Pond and fish, and I thought about it this morning. There are Security Guards for this neighborhood and Guards would come and run me off if tried it. Rich people live differently than others and when I could I fish it, I had it pretty much to myself. Landed an 8 pound Bass at the pond and had some 10 pounder's hook up for an instant on buzz baits.
Back then I never carried a Polaroid Camera and a SLR was out of my skill set for fish photos. I caught some monster bluegills too, but my favorite was hitting the bedded Bass in late May.

Any way I have fly fished long enough to not need Simms waders and Orvis branded wear, come to think of it I do not need Huk either a plain Black t shirt to hide the fish blood stains is good enough for me.

I look fondly these days at two pairs of neopreme waders I repaired the leaking seams on this Spring, they will come in handy when I step into a cold Winter Steelhead River out West...........

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
DrumPro Update:

Whilst taking a break at work, I check out Surfchex.com web cams. You cannot make out who is who on the Avon Pier Webcam but I did just witness the Florida Twin cast out a Drum Bait. I first saw him cast nearly forty years ago, and he has a distinctive style so I recognized him before I even thought about it. Ingrained in my mind one might say.

Florida Twin coming up every year in the early Fall, year after year after year after year.

Florida Twin was the 1st Drum fisherman to land 1000 Citations (Did that around 20 years ago or so).

It is said that the MAN Tournament was actually created in the interest of beating the Florida Twin if only for one given year.

Every once in a while back in the Day when I fished next to him a lot I would have a good tide or two, but not like the Florida Twin.

Before the DrumPro's starting running the numbers into triple digits, and getting 70-80 on the beach before the end of May. There was the Florida Twin coming up each September, who mostly fished like it was a Job. Every 20 minutes out goes a fresh Cob Head. Never fished 2 rods at once on a Pier (Fishing Rodanthe Style). Pretty much hard at it all day long, he took the Fall off to fish, and then fished every fishable day.
Florida Twin's only vice is fishing, same as his Brother.

I refuse to join Zuckerberg's site so I have no pictures of the last week or two.

Going to try to make it down for a few days in October.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Tomorrow I have a new Stainless Steel 20" Extra Heavy Barrel AR15 Complete Upper in .223 Wylde arriving from my Friend Mr. FedEx. I almost got an Upper in .300 Blackout until I saw two loaded mags one with 300 Blackout and one with 5.56MM side by side. Because the rear of the Cartridges look identical, if you were in a hurry and did not check the tip of the cartridge, it seemed quite possible to inadvertently slap a loaded 5.56MM Mag into a 300 Blackout AR15 and create some Darwinian end to your Shooting Career or vice versa a loaded 300 Blackout Mag into a 5.56 Gun and Jam up any chances you had against winning a match or worse a gun fight.

What does this have to do with Drum Fishing? Not really sure.......but it was on my mind so I decided to share the bit of information.

A DrumPro Drum Fishing Tip is to always use a Drum Hook with a Gap big enough to lodge itself in the hinge portion of a 60 pound Drum's Mouth. You do not read that kind of stuff in Salt Water Sportsman. Once you got a hook lodged in the corner of a big Drum's Mouth you should be good to go unless a 400 pound Dusky bites the Drum in Half late at night at the Secret Spot before you get the Drum on the Sand. Seen it happen, did not wade too far out the rest of that night.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Be on 55 in the AM in the morning.............if I can get a damn phone working I will let ya know if things cool down. If you park your truck with a BIG trailer out next to a highway although in the middle of no where a drug head will find it and like your phone more than you. I was on a Cat Loader....I guess someone was honestly looking after me. If I had caught them I have no doubt I would have smashed their car straight into the ground then got arrested........

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Read some information on 300 Blackout being loaded into a 5.56MM Chamber and evidently more than a few have done it and more than a few have destroyed their weapon when the Blackout Round ignited and then had nowhere to go down the too small barrel so it got sketchy real fast.

I am too old for sketchy.

Phone manufacturers should build in software so Samsung and Apple could send a signal that would totally disable a phone and make it unusable for the Foreign markets and eliminate the value to thieves. If the phone goes black and starts a siren screech who wants to have that in their pocket? And then creepy folks who buy the old Iphones and send them overseas would be out of business.

CTS and Century should be able to do something similar...say some doper swipes your new Heaver. All you have to do is make a call to New Zealand and Presto via Satellite the rod no longer will catch anything but Skates and Dogfish......It would help out finding the thieves also....if every one on the T is bowing up to a Paper Drum and one skanky sketchy looking guy is only hooking up Winter Skate, you know where I am going with this.

61 - 80 of 90 Posts