Pier and Surf Forum banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Yeap. Bring ya rigs. I had to sit the other night and tie some more between big ass skates and sharks some aren’t coming back. Been overall a disappointing trip

·
Registered
337 Posts
Heard Drumpro Lee added 6 to his total this week. Plus did some very successful offshore fishing. He is very helpful to us idiots trying to fish. Easily shares his knowledge. Great guy.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
DrumPro's do not use wire traces to the hook.

If you have an angry 8 foot SandBar attached to your hook, the Drum are unlikely to get close enough to your rig to eat the bait.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Heard Drumpro Lee added 6 to his total this week. Plus did some very successful offshore fishing. He is very helpful to us idiots trying to fish. Easily shares his knowledge. Great guy.
Worked for Lee several years, learned a lot, got to see everything he does and uses ..... knew his secret spots but I don't fish for big Drum .... great guy, one of the best fisherman on the island, always eager to help .... more fisherman need to go by see him ....

·
Registered
337 Posts
Worked for Lee several years, learned a lot, got to see everything he does and uses ..... knew his secret spots but I don't fish for big Drum .... great guy, one of the best fisherman on the island, always eager to help .... more fisherman need to go by see him ....
I cant find fault at all in any of your comments.........I dropped by yesterday to tell him see ya in a month or so.....That was a tough tough 3 weeks of fishing, Disappointing and of course rewarding at the same time. Few more fish would have helped make it a lot better. I'll also add expensive as well. With fuel,food and other thing
s escalating in cost it does make one wonder out loud of its truly worth it at times. Then ya remember you are a long time dead when your time comes.........so go for it no matter the cost.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
In several days from my Good Friend FedEx... I will be receiving a super bad ass 14 WT Sage 8'6" Fly Rod. Ordered 300 meters of 40 pound 8 strand braid for backing and several Fly Lines that I reached out all the way to my friends in China for.

Some people might ask Why? Are you insane?

I have to recheck it but the World Record Fly Rod Drum is pretty much wide open to me if and when I can get to that Secret Spot next to that Bar in Koru Village. I remember that South Pamlico Charter Captain Beckwith I think is his name and he kept putting some Hottie in front of Big Yearlings and after she hooked up he went and beached his boat Down East Pamlico so she could weigh them.

You have to weigh the fish over Land, and I have to recheck the prices on the IGFA portable scale or else get Koru to get their scale certified.. Can not remember if netting with a Pier net is legal for the IGFA but if it isn't I can beg the MAN Tournament Officials to let me enter it in the MAN. However I am pretty sure even an average November Secret Spot Drum will be on top of the All Fly Tackle World Record if you can get it Certified. I have to tie up some IGFA spec leaders with tippets.

Would have been way way easier if the Dork Hole was still intact but you have to work with what you got and these days it is a stub.

Scenario is to keep casting a custom Big Drum Fly with sinking Line off the downwind side of the end of the Secret Spot and try for Mr. Big. Left side is better for me cause I am left handed with a Fly Rod.

May have to Chum and Chum and perhaps some live bait teasers to get Mr. Big within range of the 14 WT.

I have an extra 10WT Reel at the moment loaded with 9 WT sinking and I will test it out in my yard to see if I can get away with decent casts with 10-12 WT Fly Line which is much more inexpensive than 14 WT and likely it flies much nicer and with tighter loops.

IGFA sent me a letter a few weeks back looking for my $$$. I may respond now because I am motivated....

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Just read some specifications on a spool of Scientific Anglers 9 WT sinking I have on hand.

Sinks up to 6.5 inches per second, sinks up to 18 feet deep.

Ordered a spare spool for one of my 9/10 WT reels that will hold plenty of backing with 12 WT Line perhaps even 14 WT Line if the lesser WT lines do not cast well.

If I can keep from putting the Fly Hook in the Riff Raff that hangs around the end of the Pier at Koru, I should be good to go.

Can not wait for the 14 WT to arrive so I can test out this new Super System for Planking Drum

Used 60 pound test with an Albright Knot to make a 4 foot mono section connect Fly Line to Leader Butt section

Using a Uni-Uni to connect 10 Foot tapered leader to the 60 pound butt section.

Watch Corded phone Automotive tire Telephone Telephony

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Sage 14WT dropped off by my good friend FedEX.

16 Pound Tippet IGFA Fly Rod World Record is currently 43 pounds.

This 14WT is quite different from the 9WT's I am used to, as soon as it stops raining here I will test it in the front yard. The rod feels stiff and heavy just holding it.

I have a Loomis 10WT, but I want to put the heat on any Drum I get hooked up to so we have a project with this Sage Stick.

If I decide to go the Beach Route and fish the Conga Line with this 14WT I will try and pay Joker and Biker Ricky to get folks out of the way of errant false cast fly hooks in the ears or eyes...... It would be a most ridiculous endeavor, but epic if I slide a Monster on the Beach. Drum will need to be in real close and I mean close for me to hook up.

Wood Line Drill Flooring Gas

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Reached out to the Chinese for this sealed drag 13/14 WT Piscifun Fly Reel. No Regrets.

This reel is smooth, perhaps overkill for my Drum project challenge.

Currently has 300 yards of 8 strand 40 pound braid and 100 feet of WF 12WT floating. The reel would likely hold another 400-500 yards of 40 pound 8 strand braid with 12WT.

This 13/14 WT Sage rod has been quite responsive in my test casting with 12WT, much easier and better balanced with this larger reel, than I anticipated. This Sage also has quite a limber tip, can fish it with a 16 pound tippet with no issues for break offs.

I have British made fly reels and this Piscifun is likely a superior technology, however the UK reels I have owned for 20 plus years

I spent a large part of my early fishing career fishing career with a fly rod in hand and I am back into it. Started out with a Herter's fly rod in the mid 1960's. Likely when I get too old to cast a Drum heaver I will end up with fly rods.

Watch Analog watch Clock Wood Measuring instrument

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Spooled Sufix Superior Neon Fire on one of my 7000's and I like this line. It really seems to be the equal or better than ProSpec Chrome at half the price. (Which if you spend much time hooking up to critters that want to take all your line off in the first run, is important).

Plant Green Fire hydrant Vehicle Bicycle accessory

·
Registered
227 Posts
Can you give a comparison between the Sufix Superior Neon Fire and the Sakuma Fire Crystal Tommy F. has on his site ?
Just gettin ready to order some.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Never used Sakuma. Most of the fellas I fish with used ProSpec Chrome. Sakuma seems to be never available in a bulk spools and at this stage of my fishing career I have a preference for respooling the entire spool when I change lines rather than tying in a top shot a half filled spool. I used to tie in all the time, but I fish so infrequently at the moment I prefer to not to take chances on old line. I have lost too many Drum to broken line issues at the beach because when you are hooked up to a critter the line is often rubbing the bottom of coarse sand and broken shells and then on the next fish, you break off in the middle of the spool rather than on the leader end.

What line you want is somewhat determined by what kind of fishing you do. Drum fishing requires being able to see the line at night. The green Tritanium Sufix is harder for me to see at night, than orange Chrome or Neon Fire my new favorite.

Buy both and see what works best for you and then buy a couple spools of your preference because at some point most everything gets changed out with a new product.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Outside of what Garbo said which I agree, Sakuma tends to have a smaller diameter at all pound tests. It is not stiff and handles and casts very well. You should put 20lb Sakuma on a drum reel as Garbo said the line is in contact a lot with sand and shells. 20lb is listed at .3mm in diameter.

Superior neon fire has a thicker diameter but a tackle shop owner told me the breaking strength of 15 is 20 and it’s .40. It seems to be very visible but I have not yet fished at night with it. It did cast and handle very well when I used if a couple weeks agoI have always felt Sufix makes very good quality mono lines.

Sakuma will be more expensive and it is a bit tougher to get. Tommy does have bulk spools periodically.

To echo what Garbo said get smaller spools of both and give them a try.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I've used the Sakuma 20lb and found it to be somewhat less than desirable abrasive resistant...I know that's partly due to the ultra small diameter.....25lb may be a better solution.

·
Registered
261 Posts
line diameter is definitely something you want to pay attention to bottom fishing. I personally never have had any problems with 20lb Sakuma but everybody's experiences are different. Personally I like a .40 diameter line for my drum reels. 25lb Sakuma fire crystal might be hard to come by in the states.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
20# sakuma fire crystal is by far my favorite option. I like it better than the yellow sakuma, i feel it's a little more abrasive resistant and definitely easier to see. They tie knots about the same. Sufix tritanium is second choice. I personally do not care for chrome, I'll use it in a pinch but have had bad experiences with it having defects in it more than once. Unfortunately the fire crystal sakuma doesn't come in a bulk spool, really wish that it did, because i too like to respool completely, and often. Sakuma also makes some premium 60# shock leader that I've become quite fond of.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts