Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well at least barring some personal calamity we will not have to worry about Blake in the near term and likely in the long term if he stays in.

I met DrumProGolfPro and DrumProHollywood some years back at the Spring Secret Drum Spot. At the time these fellas were young and had set a goal of 50 Citations each for a season. I am not sure if they knew who I was but since they were parked in a cut in the bar on the South End and Dark was coming in early March, I knew we would be close that night, real close in fact.... because there was no way any of us was leaving that Cut. As luck would have it, I caught a Drum that night and the grainy picture is still on my old phone that Hollywood took for me.

Fate had me doing something else the last few years but both these two rose to the very top on the OBX Drum scene.

They both have the attributes that make up a top Drum Pro.

1. They are great distance casters, Even with my new 4-Point Drum Pendulum Cast, I am unsure of ever getting a bait closer to Africa than ether of them. When I was in my Prime I was smoking them, but that may have been because they were in the Cub Scouts at the time.

2. They have the youth and stamina it takes to go to work for 8 hours and then go fishing all night and then without sleep go to work for another 8 hours.

3. They are not lazy Plank Buzzards and both are willing to go to Sand Land to eke of a few on any given tide change.

4. They are not Face Book Friends waiting by the phone for Bite Notifications.

It does not surprise me that they were #2 and #3 in 2021.

It would not surprise me if one of them is #1 this year.

With this Low coming up the coast, we are all at the same position, at zero for the Spring Season.

Barring some calamity I hope to at least spend one night tide down at the Secret Spot at a cut in the bar with both of them sometime early this March.

See you out there at a Cut in the Bar.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Locals were out at the Secret Spot yesterday before the new Front.

According the on-scene reporting by Red Head and Bill H it was a lot of Sharkin going on. Yakkers will dropping baits off and getting bit before they made it back to shore.

Not sure if anything happened on the incoming which was around 11:00 PM or so.

DrumPro GolfPro was identified as a participant...

Looks like everyone was trying to get a head start on 2022.

4 Drum were caught a couple weeks ago at the Point and perhaps more last night. Dusk was at dead low.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hopefully the Ukraine Conflict will not impact the MAN 2022.

However if it does, MAN Tournament Officials are reaching out to DrumPro's to see if there is interest in training for a top secret mission to Moscow to take out some short angry guy who is balding and causing millions undue strain.

Participants may be able to count on 1st class instruction from DrumPro's with military-hunting backgrounds.

Guns and equipment provided free from MAN Tournament coffers for the mission.

DrumPro's who respond should acknowledge that this is likely what could be termed a Suicide Mission in the event things go wrong and the Kremlin Guardians do not step aside freely to let Mother Freedom ring his bell.

Respondents should be single if possible with no next of kin. Qualities we are seeking are adventurous-borderline psychotic-and willing to stave off WWIII.

·
Registered
121 Posts
So when you say "a cut in the bar", I assume you're talking about a break in the first or second bar that allows the tide to surge through and is a natural predator attractor. But aren't they intrinsically transient? From what I've seen, bars move, breaks in the bars move, and holes come and go. So I guess I'm wondering if you're talking about a feature that remains the same from year to year, or one that only lasts until the next big storm comes along and moves it?

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Beach formations change all the time..

However if there is no storm or major current change, the conditions that are present that day will be there that night.

The cut in a bar is usually the path that Drum use when they move from deeper waters offshore to come close to the beach at night searching for dinner. The cut is where I want my bait, especially with a wide major slough formations that can hold a lot of baitfish and crabs.

Because of the relative density of knowledgeable fishermen on a limited amount of beach available to off-road vehicles on the OBX a great spot for beach fishing for Drum will often have other DrumPros posted up before you get there. Even if you camp out and try to greedily take control of a good spot, you will have visitors some old friends, some welcome, some not.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I've been wondering this for some time as well.
"The secret spot" has been mentioned this year and last several times. I was assuming it was a fixed address.
Or maybe a substantial feature that is not susceptible to moving between storms.
However, I don't expect you to reveal it ;)
Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been wondering this for some time as well.
"The secret spot" has been mentioned this year and last several times. I was assuming it was a fixed address.
Or maybe a substantial feature that is not susceptible to moving between storms.
However, I don't expect you to reveal it ;)
Thanks
context clues will give it away hahaha

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Secret Spot Yesterday about 30 Citations caught.

Big Sharks way too thick to use bait, so almost all Drum were on Metal during the day.

DrumPro Lee broke double digits day before yesterday. All on Metal.

Sharks ate a bunch of metal also.

This time of year it is mostly Big Sand Bars.

Have to confirm via Secret Drum Hotline but it looks like Lee shot to the front of the leader board. If he decides to fish real hard this year, then DrumPro GolfPro (who has three at the moment I believe) will lobby again for Hatteras Island Handicap of 50 Fish or so because he might need it because he has to work a full-time Job.

Cold Front will shut it down perhaps if it gets to Secret Spot.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Louis- Owner of Cape Henry Rods Secret Spot on Metal with a Cape Henry Vega Rod

Water Sky Cloud Vertebrate Beach

HollyWood DrumPro also at Secret Spot on Metal Looks like a custom Cape Henry Vega rod

Shorts Sky Water Ecoregion Vertebrate

These photos were abducted from TW's Facebook site. Which the MAN supports and if there are copyright or privacy infringement issues please contact MAN Tournament legal representative Spurling, Stevens, Judge, and Judy LLP by Certified USPS Letter at this address 10000 K Street Washington DC 20001.

There are some very beautiful large format photos by Daniel Pullam on Ocean East's Facebook site posted today, including several of Jack who is an old time OGDrumPro from back in the Day.

MAN Tournament Attorney's cautioned about abducting photos taken from a professional photographer so just travel on over to Zuckerbergs Ocean East Nags Head site and take a look if there is interest.

Unlikely Louis and Hollywood would object since they both would like to be the MAN and TWS expressed interest to be the MAN Tackle Store Sponsor if the MAN became monetized.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Fran Folb passed away March 31, 2022

I spent a fair amount of time back in the day at Frank and Fran's, rummaging through the coolers on their side deck, seeking the prime bait. The Redheaded Fella and I would make a mess out of Fran's freshly iced and packed coolers, seeking only bright red gills and clear eyes.

We would either be going to the Point or Avon Pier, but unless our bait coolers were slam packed we seldom passed thru Avon without stopping to take a peek to see what the Commercial Fellas had brought Fran that morning.

I wish the best for Missy and her children.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Just talked to Stephanie this morning to add to my running pick up order..........sad times. I like it that they are well stocked with product in hand. Always have been. Generally I am on the southern end but ALWAYS make a point to get in there a few times every trip. The problem with getting old is you lose far to many friends.........My wife's grand mother lived to be a 100. She often said all her friends were talking about her in heaven. She wasn't there and they must assume she went to Hell.....I assure you she didn't.

·
Registered
121 Posts
It's encouraging to see those two pics. When I joined this site a little while back and started reading the posts, I started to get the feeling that I was going about it all wrong by fishing exclusively with spinning gear. I've never gotten past the birds-nest phase of learning to cast a conventional, but recently I've been thinking that "dammitall, this year I'm really going to figure out how to do it clean". But after seeing those two pics I'm more thinking along the lines of "nahhh, maybe next year".

1 - 20 of 102 Posts