Pier and Surf Forum banner

121 - 134 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
5 ounce Stingsilver. Standard metal for Big Drum.

Stingsilver's fly like a competition sinker. 200 yard casts with a Drum heaver and this lure are realist. I bomb them out with a Pendulum cast with a 1507.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Perhaps Savfish will let us know where he is at this year before it gets called.

Savfish and that fella who wraps those bright colored sticks got off to a good start in the Spring, I know the secret spots Savfish hangs during the rest of the year so it would be good to know if he kept at it through the summer and fall.

There is still time to quarantine at Portsmouth and get into them with few witnesses.

I have seen a couple fellas put 20 on the planks or beach in one day, so with 21 days left it is still open to someone who wants to step up and head South to DrumTown.

For the rest of us there is always a vaccine and 2021.

About the only thing I have done construction as to fishing is build a couple sticks. I am contemplating stripping my 1307's and wrapping them over. The sad trip I went down with with 5 coats of Procoat fighting bubbles that would appear one hour after the finish had set and was turning on the dryer are bugging me. The lower guides look okay but the upper guides which were small are engulfed in what strikes me as bad press for rod building reputation. Threadmaster only for now on.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Back in the day there was a sewer moratorium in Dare County and not a new house was under construction in 1985 so I was a broke out of work carpenter who like to fish for Kings and preferred hot babes in Bikinis to waiting at the Union Hall for a job that was not going to open up for me.

I wandered into Buddy Davis Shop when they were still in Wanchese. I asked about a job, but they were not hiring. I viewed it as a blessing at the time because the air was permeated with fiberglass resin cooking off and it seemed not be healthy, in fact I thought if Hell had a smell, this could be it.

Ricky Scarborough died a couple weeks back.

When I read the obituary of a OBX boat builder and a lot of the early greats have passed in the last few years Buddy Davis, Buddy Cannady, Omie Tillett and now Mr. Scarborough I think back to that resin cooking off and think it led them all to an early grave, most were younger than me when they passed. I think about that sometimes, the people you envy and respect did not have the choices and opportunities I ultimately have had. They built those boats first out of necessity and then in doing so changed the face of Sportfishing forever one boat at time.
I worked at Buddy Davis in 1979 and 1980.Had to quite due to the vapors from the resin. Bad reactions after long exposure. No old boat builders.

·
Registered
773 Posts
This guy was out that night 30 years ago also. He is still at it.

View attachment 67517

Only 6 weeks left in the 2020 MAN Tournament.

As in past years there is only going to be one MAN. It looks like a previous 2-time winner is going to take 1st place, unless someone can park themselves at the South end of the Secret 20 mile long Island and put up an epic December.
Damm, he has gotten old!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Said secret spot had a pretty good showing of fish last week with a very thin crowd of skilled anglers. I felt honored to be able to fish alongside two multiple MAN winners one of which caught number 150 Sunday night after weeding through the sharks. I’m happy to have finished with 90 for 2020 although I was hoping to be one of the youngest to hit the century mark. Caught number 90 saturday after lunch when a pod of fatback came cruising from the hook. I bailed out of the truck in blue jeans, xtratuff deck boots and cranked a bait out into them. Never got wet and it was a 49” to the fork to boot (No pun intended).

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #130

Sun is setting on the 2020 MAN Tournament.

If Phil has a secret please at least let Lee know otherwise the MAN is in the foreground holding a multi spot DRUM.

Not sure who the guy in the hat who is Photo-Bombing the MAN but he is not the MAN.

On another Subject I was at the CTS Website last weekend thinking about getting a couple 1306's in case I get too old to bend my current models.

I made an amazing discovery yesterday. I have 2 1307's and one rod was significantly heavier than the other rod. So much so that I considered just using the Heavy Stick only when chucking 10 ounces and lobbing 12 ounces, and fishing the light one full time.

I made these two Sticks look very similar like same wrap and guides and butts and I discovered that one Butt section was heavier than the other and one tip section was heavier than the other, I marked them with a handy Sharpie I keep on hand to modify Weather Maps and I was stunned to see that now both rods weigh the same and have a similar tip deflection. Evidently the RodPros at CTS weigh these blanks and switch tips to get an optimal weight. One tip is slightly longer than the other. Now I have two bad ass sticks instead of one ultra heavy and another even mas Ultra Heavy. Dork that built the sticks switched them in error and now one is labled # l and the other # ll and they are the Kind. If you were not a Surfer in the 1970s you probably have no idea what the Kind was.

I thought I was heading to the OBX after lunch today to get a safety inspection done on my GC but a wiper switch failed so now I had to order a new one. May have to wait a week or so and hopefully I can get a suicide 2021 DRUM.

I also speeded up my Fathoms by removing grease from the shafts and bearing. Not all the grease but most of it.

Anyway for some reason I was reading the review on the CTS website for the S7 models. Our Very own DrumPro Joker gave the CTS 5 Stars. Joker said it was the best for bombing 8 and bait over the bar. I never disagree with Joker by the Way because it is way too dangerous.

We lost Mary Ann to Covid today and fellas from my generation will never again be able to choose Ginger or Mary Ann. Mary Ann was the gentle soul, Ginger was the sports model.

Anyway unless someone else chimes in and takes exception to my being a Pic Pirate

LEE is the MAN for the third time I believe. It pays to have good connections for Tackle Bait and a Demo Sticks supplier.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
In case you are a new at this take note that the MAN is holding his hook. Whether you stick the hook in a guide eye or hold it in your hand one takes care that a free swinging hook does not impale something that does not want to be impaled when you trot back out into the waves to let these critters go.

I think Ginger is the Only one left. Ginger was smoking Hot.

I know some fellas who smoked too much weed back in the Day and they even had eyes for Mrs. Thurston Howell..................

·
Registered
167 Posts
Last time I was down in mid-late October Lee spoke highly of you Garboman and especially of your writing skills. He helped me with a few things and he has the dream job for his passion which is catching big Drum.

·
Registered
109 Posts
In case you are a new at this take note that the MAN is holding his hook. Whether you stick the hook in a guide eye or hold it in your hand one takes care that a free swinging hook does not impale something that does not want to be impaled when you trot back out into the waves to let these critters go.

I think Ginger is the Only one left. Ginger was smoking Hot.

I know some fellas who smoked too much weed back in the Day and they even had eyes for Mrs. Thurston Howell..................
Also take note of the 1205 CTS he is holding.

Lee, Ricky and I have been using the 12' sticks off the beach a lot more. They are easier to fish, less weight more tip speed with little to no difference in distance.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Who are these guys?

And why did they wait until it was over to give me a call?

Notice that in the beginning everyone is bowed up.

That was the spring two years ago, throughout the day 7 different times did we catch them on lures. From the point to about a mile toward 48. That was me in the blue tiedye in the video. Was pretty solid couple of days that week but as good as that day.

121 - 134 of 134 Posts