Pier and Surf Forum banner

101 - 111 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
:)
GolfPro usually gets tied up in the Fall with dealing with wanna be Arnold Palmers and he he was smoking them he would blow my cell phone up to taunt me.

Normally the Junior Division is filled with off Spring of DrumPro;s who have to bribe the wife in some manner to be able to split to the beach every weekend, so the end up finding on of their kids that shows even a little enthusiasm and uses taking the kid fishing as an excuse to load up the truck with Drum rods.

Perhaps SuperBoy and Shorty should exchange FaceBook invites? They seem to be around the right age

·
Registered
103 Posts
:)
GolfPro usually gets tied up in the Fall with dealing with wanna be Arnold Palmers and he he was smoking them he would blow my cell phone up to taunt me.

Normally the Junior Division is filled with off Spring of DrumPro;s who have to bribe the wife in some manner to be able to split to the beach every weekend, so the end up finding on of their kids that shows even a little enthusiasm and uses taking the kid fishing as an excuse to load up the truck with Drum rods.

Perhaps SuperBoy and Shorty should exchange FaceBook invites? They seem to be around the right age
SuperBoy spent a lot of time with Biker Ricky at the House Of Legends this spring and pumped his numbers. As far as him and Shorty linking up I warned him when he went to Okaloosa chasing silver kings with Biker Ricky and I if I found him with in casting distance of her he would wind up in a crab pot.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Garbo you seem to know just about everyone who has walked the planks for the last 50 years on OBX. There was a guy who used to drive down from Virginia just about every weekend to fish Avon. Met him a few times back in the late 90's, but his face and fish were all over the bragging board at Avon. Didn't say a lot, answered questions when asked. Said he came to Avon to stay away from the crowds, believe he slept on the pier when you could fish 24/7. Ring any bells? Just curious, can't remember people's names to save my life, but can remember situations/scenarios/stories.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
SuperBoy spent a lot of time with Biker Ricky at the House Of Legends this spring and pumped his numbers. As far as him and Shorty linking up I warned him when he went to Okaloosa chasing silver kings with Biker Ricky and I if I found him with in casting distance of her he would wind up in a crab pot.
Good thinking.

Shorty should be hanging out with Pre-Med Students or Law Firm Interns. No sense cultivating a Son-in-law who will steal your bait and want to borrow money because he did not work all Spring. And then after you lend him money he takes off with your new rod and reel and then blows up your phone with Glamour Shots.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
A lot of people slept on the piers back when the piers were open 24/7.

For Avon Pier, in the summer back in the day it was less populated because the piers with deep water caught more Kings and Cobia. Avon is a great Drum Pier, perhaps the best, certainly the best in November, but it was not where you would go for big fish in the summer, way better at Rodanthe and at Frisco.

If it is a tall red head guy skinny with freckles you are referencing his name is John K.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Garbo: You have the "gift of gab" and so much appreciated! Tony Chantre (aka Red Dog) used to take the time to reminisce and educate in a similar fashion way back in the day. Had the pleasure of his company for many years and truly miss his "Red Dog hugs". A lot of love in that man and taught me a lot about surf fishing. At his funeral, me and Trey Irby (Hatteras Outfitters) brought surf rods to the gravesite service in his honor. Anywho, thank you so much for your spirit of giving, wealth of education, and keeping the tradition alive of storytelling!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
No, it was a short stocky guy, I'm 6'5", so short is relative I guess. I remember laying down at the end of Avon pier during a Nor'easter watching the pier sway back and forth. My then wife at the time and my friends wife asked the pier attendant if they could, "Get our damn husbands off the pier". Meanwhile my brother heard them come in the pier house and was hiding in the bathroom.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Back in the day there was a sewer moratorium in Dare County and not a new house was under construction in 1985 so I was a broke out of work carpenter who like to fish for Kings and preferred hot babes in Bikinis to waiting at the Union Hall for a job that was not going to open up for me.

I wandered into Buddy Davis Shop when they were still in Wanchese. I asked about a job, but they were not hiring. I viewed it as a blessing at the time because the air was permeated with fiberglass resin cooking off and it seemed not be healthy, in fact I thought if Hell had a smell, this could be it.

Ricky Scarborough died a couple weeks back.

When I read the obituary of a OBX boat builder and a lot of the early greats have passed in the last few years Buddy Davis, Buddy Cannady, Omie Tillett and now Mr. Scarborough I think back to that resin cooking off and think it led them all to an early grave, most were younger than me when they passed. I think about that sometimes, the people you envy and respect did not have the choices and opportunities I ultimately have had. They built those boats first out of necessity and then in doing so changed the face of Sportfishing forever one boat at time.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Only one good looking fish in that picture. Rest of them look like they've been on a diet. Can't say too much though, my trip to False Cape was worthless, bite turned on the night we left. Catch 'em up guys.

101 - 111 of 111 Posts