Pier and Surf Forum banner

81 - 100 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Awesome, hope to add a few more to the scoreboard for the NCState namesake the last week in October.

Maybe the weather will comply.....

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
20 in two days is nice, that is making for a lot of Net work for someone. It is a long pull up to the deck at that Pier. One Night for fun I netted 20 Drum on that pier to show I was a team player. It got to be difficu

Would be nice to see a collage of all these Drum in photos somewhere say like N....ks C.....m R......ds Face......k

Did you out fish TomH and Usual Suspect Number #1 DrumPro too? Are you in the running for the MAN 2020?

Why are Travis and Kyle not blowing up my phone? Am I obsolete now?

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Forgot to add I was wore out after being the net bitch that night. Luckily the bite shut down before I had to tap out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The bite last week was quite the interesting set of affairs. I’d stretch to say I netted ~50% of the fish caught the first day of the bite considering it was my own net in use. It was doubled up quite a few times. On day two I found some other fellow young guns to pull on the rope. I was worn.
Usual suspect Zing Pow had a pulled muscle in his abdomen so JT, Biker Ricky, and I pinch casted which proved to work well for him. As of Friday before it got too nautical he needed 3 more for the century mark and I’m about 30 behind him well out of contention but maybeeee in The MAN top 10. TomH came in on two wheels for day one with his padewan and broke in his new loud green and orange 05. Nothing says 2020 like Tom fishing a rod that’s not blacked out. Susan has a nice collage of pictures on her Facebook page such as the one below where the twins got me to pull up and carry my own fish out of the way. I guess you’re only 22 once 😂.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
;)Lee is probably one of the most likely fellas to grab the net and help you. Kyle will grab it and walk it back reel fast, you have to watch your fingers. Out of all the fellas in the photo, Lee has netted the most fish for me besides the Redhead and I have been fishing around the Twins for 35 years.

Some fellas are afraid to lose someone's Drum. Some fellas like myself are too old to worry about losing someone's Drum.

Some fellas like to conserve their strength, some like to net and be helpful. Some fellas will jump in and help get a fish over the rail. Some will just watch. Some you have to ask to help, others like Lee just grab the net.

If they made you net your own fish then that is not right, I can under stand getting it in the net and then making you pull it up though. After all most of use are 30 to 40+ years older than you and its a long way down to the water at that pier....

Pulling up two, is a chore. Mickie's boyfriend pulled up 3 on Avon one time, I think the video is on Avon's facebook page.

Joker is there now he can help, Joker should be able to manage at least four in the net, perhaps five in a pinch.

I am strictly a one Drum netter from now on;);)

·
Registered
742 Posts
No better way to make friends on a pier than to grab the net and get some work in. Even works on LIP ...

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Avalon Pier in the early 1960's.

This is what Avalon Pier looked like when I first fished it in 1966. I was 12 years old. Not much of a fisherman but I caught a lot of fish because there were a lot more around in those days.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
The little Restaurant was to left of the Front Door. It would be packed in the mornings and at lunch time. It was still there in 1985, but a short time after that they tore it out and put in more pinball games.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
I seem to remember it was a $1.00 to fish all day in the 1960's.

Perhaps $3.00 or $4.00 to fish all day in the 1980s.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
In the 1960's my Dad paid and they let me fish all day at Kitty Hawk or Avalon, Mom or my Dad would come and collect me before dinner time. I think my allowance in those days was $00.25 so getting a pier pass was a vacation treat. My family spent the entire month of August back then in a beach house. For many years it was the building that became the Black Pelican. All of that blank vacant area where the ocean laps RT. 12 from the Black Pelican had two and three story ocean front homes in the 1960's, they were lost one by one until there was no beach left there.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Bite will pick up this week which was the traditional start up week for Rodanthe. 2:00 AM October 7, 2000 I caught the largest Drum I ever planked 54". That was back when you could fish a pier at 2:00 AM on Hatteras Island. Only me on the end, netted it by myself.....led it into the net and then walked backwards till I got it up 10 feet or so off the water and then pulled it up and over. My Trusty 8600 and a Pinnacle Absolute with 25 pound line. I was so excited I woke the Redhead up at 3:00 AM. Then woke up Stanley, just as a light rain began to fall. Both them fellas went back to bed and then I went back to the end.

Dawn came and along with it DD and DD cast out one of those new fangled All Star 1509's. Wind was putting a big bow in the lines and then DD's line straightened out big time and his drag started squalling......DD goes to set the hook and then the fish was gone. It was one of those new fangled Gami 8/0 Circle Hooks....DD was quite perturbed even cussed a bit.

And that was the very last Time anyone ever saw DD fish for Drum with anything but a J hook.

After the morning bite seemed to slow down I went across the street to a hole in the Sound and came back with fresh cobs.

By then the Redhead Sleeping Beauty had finally strolled out with his gear and I offered him a mullet. He opened the lid of my cooler and a corncob jumped out into the Redheads paws.

"I guess I will try this one" said the Redhead and perhaps five minutes later Redhead was bowed up and I netted his Drum. There were pictures of this happening on Tre's old site Hatteras Outfitters but I think that site has been down for years.

Anyway that was 20 years ago back when DD's and the Redhead hair was red not grey.....

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Later that weekend it started blowing a gale and it blew so hard out of the NE that it closed down the Point and several trucks were lost during the overwashes.

A whole bunch of folks from the Point came up to fish Rodanthe as Avon was also blown out. Rodanthe still had 25 feet of water and the waves were breaking further down the pier so it was fishable and we were fishing.

The Rodanthe crew was all out there and we did not know most of the folks that had come from the beach. They did bring some Hotties with them so I was not complaining as much as some of the others including the Redhead. Redhead was pissed we had to share our pier, Redhead calmed way down over what he was when he was young......

The original Rodanthe T was perhaps three hundred feet further out that Rodanthe octagon T we were fishing on at that time. The Rodanthe method of making a drum cast in a big NE blow was to throw a little to right of center so you did not get hung in the old broken off pilings of the original pier. They went out further than you could cast, they were about 4 feet high or so..I saw them one real clear water day in the summer when Gulf Stream water was blown ashore.

For some reason (selfish perhaps) we forgot to tell the newcomers about this and we just watched one after another throw straight out or angled a bit to the left of center and watched them get hung up on the piling snag monster.

It did not matter what you brought to fish with or how hot your girlfriend was...you were not going to deck that piling you just nailed for the third straight cast.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hope you are right Garbo. Headed down to Avon for the week on the 25th. Full moon and evening high tides by end of the week. Hoping it will be good and the weather cooperates.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Another quality bite a few days ago following good conditions and lackluster fishing. A lot of people ended up with 5 for the day. Zing Pow caught number 99 for the year on his last bait before the gates closed.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks for the update Joker. So where do the other pros stand? The rod builder, the kid from Mayock, the golf pro, etc. Anyone else over 100?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thanks for the update Joker. So where do the other pros stand? The rod builder, the kid from Mayock, the golf pro, etc. Anyone else over 100?
The rod builder has been focusing on building rods and his numbers are down from pervious years but he's still lurking in the shadows. The kid from Moyock had to sit out most of the spring due to travel restrictions so his numbers are down, not sure about the golf pro's numbers but I don't think he's close to Zing. The rod Builders Yankee friend has been steadily grinding out a few fish over the last few weeks but you wont get a number from him till the end. The little red headed kid in the picture above is far and away the leader in the junior division with 50 plus, and the bigger red headed kid be hind him has some respectable numbers. There is a recent NCSU grad that might have a shot at the title depending how much work interferes with fishing.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
SuperBoy has 50? Who is this guy? Superman's Nephew? Looks like SuperBoy has the posing for Glamour Shots down. How in the blazes does he cast? Probably has some kind of rod speed, making a lot of old folks uncomfortable no doubt. Reminds me of William before he went to College, it is just flat out hard to get to 50 so there must be factors involved here...... and there is still the best 4 weeks to go for planking. Notice how his Drum is way bigger then the fellas flanking and standing behind him. Where did this guy come from? He needs to find a girlfriend or something.....I have enough problems catching a few with the normal DrumPros and now I have to worry about some new guy smoking me? I would like to see him Clean up on Avon and get in Avon John's action. In looking at his picture I am not sure he is old enough to drive....I do not think he is. why is his Mom letting him hang out with DrumPro riff raff? She must be enabling him by giving him a ride to the Pier and Beach......

Rodbuilder is building a lot of rods for sure, Yankee man may not tell anyone how many he has till Spring since he fishes a few secret spots known only be a select few.

81 - 100 of 111 Posts