Pier and Surf Forum banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Would need a 4x4 RV and they're super hard to come by. Had mine converted back in 2005 by Quigley 4x4 in PA. Cost $10k back then (Dana 6- front axle, lift, suspension work, transfer case, etc) but top-notch workmanship. Have put 100k miles on it since then and not a single issue. Today's cost to convert is about $20k! IMHO, it's the perfect fishing vehicle providing all the comforts of home on any beach you want to fish on.....especially Portsmouth that has zero services. If you ever do it, get as long an RV as you can; having basement storage for stinky fishing cooler/waders is a must, plus extra length helps putting rods inside without having to separate them. Mine is 28' long. And, never been stuck either....rides better than my old Jeep. I put a 3" aluminum spacer between the back wheels to avoid "kissing tires" while aired down to 20psi. View attachment 66770 Good luck if you go this route

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
When this van is rocking......don't come a knockin.

A..s....Gra..s...... or Cash...…. no one rides for free.

Don't laugh Mister... your Daughter is riding in this Van.

Van culture was big in my Youth,

First two brand new vehicles I bought were Chevrolet Vans. At the time you went to the Dealership, ordered it from Detroit and it was built to your specifications and delivered a few months later. Or you could save a few dollars and buy a new one off the lot.

First Van cost $6500 in 1979

2nd Van cost $8500 in 1984

There is a Quigley Chevy 3500 Van 4x4 Conversion on ebay with 6800 miles for $49,000.

In 1979 I was a Union Carpenter and I made $30,000 that year due to overtime. That works out to 21.6% of my yearly income in 1979. The rest was squandered on women and more women.

For the 2019 Quigley you would need to make around $224,000 per year to get the same income to cost ratio, as the 1979 Van....granted the Quigley has 4x4, but I had more fun in my 1979 Van than fishing could provide. Some of the folks reading this could be related to me in some fashion or other...

Before you start thinking life was way easier back in the day, keep in mind that in 1981 most of the carpenters in the United States were laid off and did not really get back to work until several years had past. Non-Union companies took over the DC commercial construction market from the Unions and this forced me to go fishing on the OBX.

Anyway that Quigley on Ebay looks pretty sharp would have been the King of the Beach back in 1979.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Worse vehicular decision of my life was selling my 71 vw day camper. While not 4x4, still made some of my fondest memories in that rusted out piece of junk. I'd love to have a Quigley now, although the wife would much rather have va appraisers rv.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts