Pier and Surf Forum banner

41 - 60 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Would need a 4x4 RV and they're super hard to come by. Had mine converted back in 2005 by Quigley 4x4 in PA. Cost $10k back then (Dana 6- front axle, lift, suspension work, transfer case, etc) but top-notch workmanship. Have put 100k miles on it since then and not a single issue. Today's cost to convert is about $20k! IMHO, it's the perfect fishing vehicle providing all the comforts of home on any beach you want to fish on.....especially Portsmouth that has zero services. If you ever do it, get as long an RV as you can; having basement storage for stinky fishing cooler/waders is a must, plus extra length helps putting rods inside without having to separate them. Mine is 28' long. And, never been stuck either....rides better than my old Jeep. I put a 3" aluminum spacer between the back wheels to avoid "kissing tires" while aired down to 20psi. View attachment 66770 Good luck if you go this route

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
When this van is rocking......don't come a knockin.

A..s....Gra..s...... or Cash...…. no one rides for free.

Don't laugh Mister... your Daughter is riding in this Van.

Van culture was big in my Youth,

First two brand new vehicles I bought were Chevrolet Vans. At the time you went to the Dealership, ordered it from Detroit and it was built to your specifications and delivered a few months later. Or you could save a few dollars and buy a new one off the lot.

First Van cost $6500 in 1979

2nd Van cost $8500 in 1984

There is a Quigley Chevy 3500 Van 4x4 Conversion on ebay with 6800 miles for $49,000.

In 1979 I was a Union Carpenter and I made $30,000 that year due to overtime. That works out to 21.6% of my yearly income in 1979. The rest was squandered on women and more women.

For the 2019 Quigley you would need to make around $224,000 per year to get the same income to cost ratio, as the 1979 Van....granted the Quigley has 4x4, but I had more fun in my 1979 Van than fishing could provide. Some of the folks reading this could be related to me in some fashion or other...

Before you start thinking life was way easier back in the day, keep in mind that in 1981 most of the carpenters in the United States were laid off and did not really get back to work until several years had past. Non-Union companies took over the DC commercial construction market from the Unions and this forced me to go fishing on the OBX.

Anyway that Quigley on Ebay looks pretty sharp would have been the King of the Beach back in 1979.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Worse vehicular decision of my life was selling my 71 vw day camper. While not 4x4, still made some of my fondest memories in that rusted out piece of junk. I'd love to have a Quigley now, although the wife would much rather have va appraisers rv.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
In Response to some other OBX Drum Tournaments being cancelled due to Covid,

MAN Tournament Officials met in secret at a secret location and the vote was unanimous. The actual vote count is also secret, but take my word for it.

2020 Joe Mullet Memorial MAN Tournament will proceed as scheduled.

Unlike some of the other Tournaments, a big reason the top five current leaderboard participants are way...way ahead is because to the Lockout by Dare County Officials last Spring.

Tournament Officials weighed the distinct disadvantage that out-of-town participants face with the Spring Lock-out but seriously none of these out-of-towners stood much of a chance anyway, so the motion to suspend the Tournament was overruled.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Hijacking this thread somewhat...….

In 1986 I got a brand new Christmas Ornament Red Abu 7000 for Christmas from my Parents. Besides a Carhart Overall I got another year when I was still working concrete construction I cannot remember a gift I cherished more.

I lost that Red 7000 off the end of Rodanthe Pier in a fishing mishap, along with a custom 7'6" Popping rod that Larry Haack built for me that had a closed end Star Butt Wrap.

A couple weeks later in 1986 I ordered an ABU 7000C from Cabelas, I seem to remember paying $70.00 for that 7000C. It is currently residing on one of my SurfSticks at a Secret Location in Salvo NC. I caught a lot of Drum on that 7000C and the clicker only whispers now, I actually can not hear it going off when I am standing right next to my rod, have to rely on other Plankers to let me know.....

Last Month I decided to modify another Black 7000C and a Red 7000 with 7500 Spacer bars from BlackDog Tackle in the old Country. My first relatives came over in the early 1600's from England to America, so it indeed an old County to me.

Back to the Reel mod's … I ordered some carbide wheels for a Dremel I have but never really used and after a few moments I had the 7000's ready for the Point. I took the cheater way out at first and glued the plastic covers on the studs, since they needed a lot of polishing to get smooth. Perhaps one day when I have all afternoon to Polish these Studs up so they will not fray the line, I will. But for now they have shiny Red Buttons.

I may post a picture or two of my work, these 7000's are on SurfSticks and they are freaking ready to blast as I have removed all the brakes and they spin...………...still spinning...….still spinning....

But the main object is talk up the service at BlackDog. I use Ebay and every time I make an order BlackDog refunds me some of the Shipping.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I stole this from Rodanthe Pier's Facebook page.

This is how Rodanthe Pier looked around 1995 .

The long building facing the ocean fronting the Ocean was call the Brick Motel by Dickie Ferrell (RIP). The rest of us called it the Ghetto. I lived in Room #1 of the Ghetto for a year or so. You could eat breakfast at Down Under and go to the bar at Down Under and chase the Tourist Girls.

The Octagon T end of Rodanthe at that time was one of the best for King Fishing on the entire OBX. The water in the 1990's was 25 feet deep at High Tide and all kinds of Sea Monsters were around.

The Pier house in the photo was destroyed by a Hurricane. Same thing with Down Under and the Ghetto.

Its all gone now, except for the memories sure wish I was strolling out there this afternoon at age 35 and toting my heavers and a cooler full of Busch Beer. Redhead would be out there along with the rest of the Rodanthe crew getting ready for Saturday Night...….

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Today, the end of Rodanthe Dock is right where that wave is breaking. The Drum Fisherman are casting about to where the Octagon was. Last time I was there in 2019 I walked out to the end and no one knew who I was...…..

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
The original Rodanthe Pier built by Dickie Ferrell and His Brother went out another 300 feet from the end of the octagon pictured. I was out there on day when Gulf Stream water was pushed in and you could see Sea Trout swimming around the pilings twenty feet down. The water was crystal clear and you could see the two rows of broken off pilings marching off into the depths. The pilings were all only a couple feet tall, the rest broken off and added to the flotsam forever traveling South on the OBX. The Tee on the original Rodanthe was around 100 feet wide North to South.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Face it Garbo..........its never coming back. I can remember screwing off and catching a 66 quart cooler of flounder. Kept only the really good ones. I get excited now when I just catch "something". Friend had a super nice boat. We went out to the gulf stream. One time we smoked one of hos 250hp engines. Bread bag got in it and his hot light was burned out on his console..... For a short period of time I owned his lot that he was going to build on up towards Lighthouse road. We started going back down and when I saw what the OBX has become....I FINALLY sold it. Now I just pull a camper, come and leave when we feel like it. Same thing happened to Oak Island..........sold that too. I feel lucky to have lived in the last of the best.....my work life is included in that. Kids behind me will never get to retire early and live a little when they grow old.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
King Fishing the OBX Piers will never come back like it was. I see they catch one or two these days. when in the past it would be in the dozens if not hundreds off the piers.

Big Drum Fishing the OBX is better than back in the day by far these days. New Drum fishermen these days are spoiled, it is unremarkable for a great caster to get up to 20 big Drum in one afternoon into the night. In 1980's it would take both a Spring and Fall Season to get that many on the sand or on the planks.

I still fish for Drum and at age 66 still catch a few when I can get out there, it keeps me thinking young, and when I get bowed up to some giant critter, most times I can forget the rest of what has left the OBX of my youth and concentrate on just that moment in time. Let all the Drum go, same with the Sharks, we just play with each other for a bit.

Due to family issues will miss the fall Drum season this year.

I will say this Hatteras will be under water at some point, perhaps a few islets such as Buxton Woods will remain.

Seen waves coming through the front windows on the Ghetto and 6-7 feet deep water in the parking lot behind the Pier house. Seen that Pier house in the photo marooned out from the beach with 200 feet of surf between dry land and the front door.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Garbo, I got you by a couple of years and I have retired twice. When I come to the OBX now it is for a week or more at a time and usually twice in the spring and once or twice in the fall. I consider the whole week made if I catch one big drum and a super success if there are multiple over 40” during those weeks. You are right, a lot has changed and as much I hate to admit it, more change is coming. I choose to spend my time on the beach vs the planks. I had a slide in camper for a couple of years, but sold it. I find it easier just to rent a house. Up to the late 90’s, I used to fish the point consistently, but the internet ruined that and I just don’t have the patience for the crowds any more. Give me a stretch of open beach and I am happy. Unfortunately, the width of the beach is a mere fraction of what it used to be and the dunes fewer and shorter. I am astounded by the amount of beach gone down at Hatteras Inlet. I see more bridges in the not too distant future. As far as Restaurants, it seems the only constant is the Orange Blossum Café. Restaurants come and go. I never know which ones will still be there. I miss the Down Under. I enjoy your writings and have to wonder if we haven’t run into one another at some point. Regardless, keep the memories coming.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
When I fish I will go where the Drum are and will fish the crowd at the Point. Some days it is frustrating and fraught with anxiety, other days you are in the House and steady bowed up and get them to the beach without much conflict.

I do not have the energy I had when I was younger, but I squandered a lot of my energy. DrumPro from Florida before he moved to Florida was (is) like a machine timing his baits with his wristwatch, a new one every 20 minutes.

RedHead and I on the other hand would be knocking down Busch Beer, a fresh can every 20 minutes.. and as with some of the other fellas I was in that 420 thing. Used to be that if you went out on Rodanthe Pier the smell of 420 was near constant. We were one intoxicated mess. I left that behind me about 25 years ago.

I still can cast with good form so I get bit a lot even when I am in a crowd. Redhead will not go to the Point much except early or late in the season, because of the crowd. I still go because that is where the bite is.....except in the Fall when the fishing is generally better on the Planks. Planks are a lot easier but they suck compared to the old days because they are not open 24 hours so you miss the predawn Bite.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Wonder if they can do a "beach renourishment," down at the Inlet? The old False Point was dynamite, plus the extra 3/4 mile of beach that was there. Had lots of luck down that way years ago.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Regardless, I haven't seen the ocean since May 2019. I'm ready for a good fall, we all deserve it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just had a major flashback to some fine dining as a kid at Down Under. The first sea mullet I ever caught was on that pier and I guess we stayed in the ghetto!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Wonder if they can do a "beach renourishment," down at the Inlet? The old False Point was dynamite, plus the extra 3/4 mile of beach that was there. Had lots of luck down that way years ago.
I always wondered why they didn't just pump the inlet shoals back onto False Point. It would sure make the ride to the sea buoy a lot shorter and a lot safer, and it would narrow up the inlet so that it scoured out naturally.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Tournament started up again in the last few days, at the usual spots. Fleas caught a few, but the Plankers should begin wearing them out in the next few Weeks, Bite was on this morning at Secret Northern OBX Pier paid for by State of NC. Perhaps some photos will be posted on the net shortly.

Wind is right, so should be an eastward DrumPro migration from Burlington NC this weekend.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Steady NE Wind in the mid thirty mile per hour range for the Weekend. 1307 and 10 ounce three sided sinker is on the menu.

DrumPro's may find it difficult except in a certain spot leeward on Secret Pier only known to a few. Phil may even drop by because the surf will be a non-starter this weekend.

Secret DrumPro Hotline is waiting on a report from Travis or Kyle or perhaps we can check in with the Redhead and get a live facebook feed somewhere beside my Office.

41 - 60 of 111 Posts