Pier and Surf Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
We were at a Secret Spot about four years ago when this Spot was red hot. By Red Hot I mean anywhere from 10 to 100 Citations every night for weeks any wind any tide if you stayed long enough into the night you were going to bow up. The slaughter continued into June-July and there were named spots along this secret area which depending on the wind and surf condition were for young men and other places were for old men and on a Strong NE with a big surf one spot was for men not afraid to die.

One difference between May and June is that the Spinners Blacktips and Bull Sharks show up along with the Butterfly's and Cownose and a few Cobia. On particular DrumPro who will not be identified because it is not really a fault, just an annoyance has a habit of wading out further than the rest, and often times stays out there. It helps that he is 6'3" so his wader tops are above some of the height disadvantaged.

If there is a drift to the baits and someone is out beyond you, you can either reel in or you can stand next to him. When Drum start to turn Grey and start to grow a 2 foot dorsal, after dark I tend to take it easy on being adventurous. The way I think is why be the guy who gets picked off, when it one can take the easy way out and watch from safer higher ground some other guy getting picked off.

The Bull Sharks take up residence in this area and that is where they live until Fall drives them South. On nights when every other DrumPro is hooking up to something unstoppable, the list of those wants to stand out bobbing in the ways the furthest usually ends up to be very short. I am not on that list these days. Anyway this one night a line of thunderstorms blasted through. This secret spot is not like some where you can seek safety and check your PM's on your Iphone in your truck. Anyway when you are wearing a raincoat and waders and you have a long walk back to the truck you just keep fishing.

I decided to walk down to the Suicide hole and there standing on perfectly Dry land were the two DrumPro's who happen to running neck and neck this Spring on the leader board. The bright flashes and rolling thunder explained it all, but I could not resist asking them what were they afraid of....

·
Registered
736 Posts
Would love to hear numbers after this week. Sounds like a legendary time to be there, and I should've/would've but COVID killed my spring vacation plans. Yes I'm bitter about it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Same here..... I picked the hot week last year and this year for my Spring vacation. However, I did not get to make an appearance this year since I could not get on the island. I know we all missed a great week. Hopefully soon.....

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Still in Last Place

I have been tying up 92553 Eagle Claw Drum Rigs when I am not working. USPS keeps bringing fishing tackle to my workshop. My gear is ready but circumstances beyond my control have me sitting on the sidelines. Do worry if you are locked down too, DrumPros are still catching them.

92553 Eagle Claw was the Hook when the two sticks in the foreground below Ruled the OBX. You have to sharpen the 92553, but a bench grinder can speed that up, you just finish the point with a Wetstone.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
The Gami 10/0 J Hook is a direct copy of the 92553, difference is Gami J is in black and chemically sharpened and five times as expensive.

25 years ago when I was on the OBX and my SurfSticks spent their time either rattling around in the bed of my F150 or leaning on a rail or leaning on a large type Drum/Shark/King/Cobia I was always behind in making up rigs. Women and Alcohol mattered more, so I was always having to tie up rigs when sitting on the pier fishing.

Bench vise and Bench Grinder makes for production and uniformity. Sitting on Rodanthe pier snelling 92553's made for memories.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Garboman, I really enjoy your stories.

When you were sharpening those hooks with a grinder and stone I am picturing a lot of raw steel which seems like it would rust fast. Did you have to put a smidge of paint on the tips after sharpening or by the time they saw enough saltwater to rust was it time to sharpen again?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Stainless is an alloy of iron and chromium. there are different types of stainless but all are alloy not a coating. A carbon steel hook would rust as you are using it. You would see rust on it by the time you got home. Black hooks are stainless, sort of, not really a true stainless. Just a different alloy with less chromium that will rust faster than the shiny silver ones making them safer for fish. So when you break off a shark it isn't swimming with a hook in its mouth for months or longer. The black hooks will rust out relatively fast unlike the silver ones.

Some hooks are dipped in nickel or zinc. Nickel coated hooks are intended for freshwater use. These hooks aren't stainless.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I put these Mustad 92553 "Cannonball" or what can be termed the "Mike Hayes" rigs two to a large plastic zip lock bag. Mike Hayes said he invented them but DD can chime in as to who invented what back in the Day. Mike Hayes did catch the very first Drum on Avon Pier the year it was opened. Last time I fished with Mike Hayes was in 2007. I have not seen him on the piers last few years. Mike Hayes was the MAN on Avon back in the day. I had to give up a regular Drum rig threading a leader thru a bead in the middle of the Night ten years ago, so Cannonball it is.

These 92553 do not rust much in the bags as typically I keep them dry. A few swipes on a whetstone gets them razor sharp after a fishing session. I am not removing much steel with the grinder, just enough to get the tip to stick in my thumbnail when dragging it lightly. I could just use the whetstone but the grinder is faster production and gives me an excuse to turn it on.

My workshop keeps me out of trouble in my off time.

By the way this Spring Drum Bite has been hot. DrumPro's have had some 100+ Fish Days at one secret Spot. Epic is the word.

Before you get too envious of these local OBX DrumPro's remember just about every single one of them has taken a huge financial setback from the Covid closure, some worse than others.and it is not over yet.

Of course sheltering in place at the Secret Spot whilst bowed up, is better than being cooped up away from the Beach.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Got the RV loaded and leaving for Portsmouth for 7 days/nights to enjoy some rest from all this Covid crap. Even with Buxton opening next weekend, just don't want to be crushed with all the others heading down to finally unload a custom rod/reel and do some damage to drum lips :) Also, no 7am to 9pm curfew on beach times down there and 12 miles of quiet beach is perfect for the RV; even carrying additional 20 gallons of water for a hot shower after a long day of sun, sand and hopefully a few big drum! Hope to see y'all soon in Hatteras.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Got the RV loaded and leaving for Portsmouth for 7 days/nights to enjoy some rest from all this Covid crap. Even with Buxton opening next weekend, just don't want to be crushed with all the others heading down to finally unload a custom rod/reel and do some damage to drum lips :) Also, no 7am to 9pm curfew on beach times down there and 12 miles of quiet beach is perfect for the RV; even carrying additional 20 gallons of water for a hot shower after a long day of sun, sand and hopefully a few big drum! Hope to see y'all soon in Hatteras.
Will be on Portsmouth from sunday to thursday. Driving a big white tundra. Holler at me if you see me.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I'd like to know more about your RV and how it handles the beach . Portsmouth is somewhere I'd love to go but the wife won't play the camping game anymore and the cabins were a no go to but a RV maybe what is called for

·
Registered
105 Posts
Would need a 4x4 RV and they're super hard to come by. Had mine converted back in 2005 by Quigley 4x4 in PA. Cost $10k back then (Dana 6- front axle, lift, suspension work, transfer case, etc) but top-notch workmanship. Have put 100k miles on it since then and not a single issue. Today's cost to convert is about $20k! IMHO, it's the perfect fishing vehicle providing all the comforts of home on any beach you want to fish on.....especially Portsmouth that has zero services. If you ever do it, get as long an RV as you can; having basement storage for stinky fishing cooler/waders is a must, plus extra length helps putting rods inside without having to separate them. Mine is 28' long. And, never been stuck either....rides better than my old Jeep. I put a 3" aluminum spacer between the back wheels to avoid "kissing tires" while aired down to 20psi.
beachcamper.JPG
Good luck if you go this route.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts