Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Unfortunately With Things. The way they are, it’s going to be a rough road this Spring for some! Best of Luck to All!

N

·
0 Posts
Garbo, not fair when the rest of us could not go down even if we wanted to. Did you get in before they put up the walls?

I am still trying to figure out what authority they have to shut down two US highways and not let people in......

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Garbo, not fair when the rest of us could not go down even if we wanted to. Did you get in before they put up the walls?

I am still trying to figure out what authority they have to shut down two US highways and not let people in......
I could get down there I have the proper ID. but I am helping my family up North at the moment with medical issues.

It is a Hurricane response to a medical issue. They have had good results from banning the non-essential after storm clean up has been completed and I guess they took the prudent step.

I would imagine that their first impulse is to protect their own people, they may be looked up as heroes at some point.

Their effort to help all will destroy some financially.

Florida is about to find out whether it should have done the same with their beaches.

If the ramps are not locked up likely a bite tonight at the Point and at the Secret Spot.

If the ramps do get locked up it will not stop the young local DrumPros they will walk out.

I read an article about the Spanish Influenza this morning. The pandemic hit in three waves. The first in the Spring and then in the summer it subsided. In the Fall it came back with a vengeance and killed millions across the world. A second wave killed millions more that winter.

Stay safe out there on your job. If I were you I would refrain from putting anyone in your back seat till this blows over.

N

·
0 Posts
Will do. It is just all around bad. I dont blame them for closing down.

Looks like I will miss out on the spring trip. Have a house paid for in AVON mid April but not getting my hopes up. May try Cape Lookout for a few days instead and then hopefully some summer and fall trips back to the island. Maybe I will run into you then. Be careful up there, hope everything goes ok for you.

I am hoping that the heat knocks it out and it goes away. Until then, a lot of discretion will be exercised......🤔

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just read that Daffy has passed away.

If you have spent any time on the Northern OBX you would have known him or knew of him.

I first met him 40 some years ago when I king fished on NHP, he was a character, always smiling.

He was a decorated Viet Nam Veteran and life's imbalance did not grant him some of the comforts others enjoy.

Like a lot of the OBX people of my youth, another one is gone....its hard on people...living on the Banks.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I thought about a day this morning in late August or early September back in the 1980's. The Mullet were massed and heading South and I was King Fishing on NHP.

Daffy was South of the Pier on the beach, perhaps 100 yards or so, Daffy had come out from behind Atlantis dragging a 50 gallon trash can. In those days most trash cans were made of Aluminum and they would get dented and worn looking, not like today's super plastics which seem to last a long time unless they get run over by vehicles.

Back in those days Atlantis had a big parking lot and during the day there was abundant parking there for free.

Anyway I watched the Mullet coming around in dark schools, they were mostly large 6" or so Finger Mullet, but a few pods of Cobs and Larger Mullet came by that day. The Mullet were coming down from the Chesapeake and as they circled by the pier I watched them go by out of range of a cast net off the pier.

Daffy set up right at the out suck and I watched him the rest of the afternoon until the shadows started to fall on the beach with the sun setting behind Atlantis. He pulled a cast net from the trash can and went to work on them Mullet.

There was a decent surf and when a wave was receding Daffy ran with it and tossed the net.

Daffy would then run back of the beach and when the next incoming wave came in Daffy drug his net full of Mullet with it.

Last rays of the afternoon reflected the silver mass in that trash can, and Daffy had that can about full, when I decided to reel in my gear and head in. Not sure how Daffy got the Mullet off the beach, if someone came to help him with the big trash can or if he took the Mullet off one bucket at a time by himself.

That is how I am going to remember Daffy, a full net and a smile on his face.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
DrumPros were sheltering in place at the Point yesterday.

Sharks imposed a $30 Fine on Kyle for venturing out of his house. 10 casts....10 bite-offs. When they are that thick and Big, Drum have to wait until they leave before they can come into the impact zone.

Meanwhile a new Drum rod has come on the scene. 12' CTS SV 1205-2.

Preliminary testing by Joker and Biker Ricky has this light stick neck and neck with 13' CTS 1305's and 1306's for distance with Drum rigs. 8 and bait no problem.

Rod is light as a feather according to Joker, which does not mean anything really as Joker is 6'4" and 245. But evidently the rod speed is increased dramatically.

DrumPro #1 is also fishing this new Stick.

Higher rod speed + less mass + less resistance = More Drum on the beach.

If you are getting weak from sitting around the house more now, I know I am, perhaps this is something you can look into.

A light Drum rod on the beach makes a difference after holding it for a tide or two.

In fact order up fellas I do not want DrumPro #1 getting too far out in front of the rest of us and make necessary to have a * asterisk attached to top finisher in 2020.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Secret Drum Hotline report came in last night and the news was good.

Multiple OBX DrumPros are at the top of the Leader Board. Big numbers and strangely the same folks as in years past are the ones putting in the work. One thing that is different this year is that Hatteras Pro's used the "Local" card and thus the Pro at the top of this page has been relegated to also ran status, until Dare County eases its Visitor restrictions.

When you are sheltered in place at the Secret Spot, you might be missing income, but you sure are not missing the crowd, although if everyone is bowed up at the same time, at a certain Secret Spot known only to several million it is impossible to practice social distancing.

Without a Vaccine, without a cure, I am not sure how Dare County is planning to implement an easing of out of town visitors, the same set of circumstances exist today as the day they shut it down.

Thinking about building a custom 9' 10 WT Saltwater Fly Rod. The REC reel seat and fighting butt cost as much as the Blank I am looking at. may build a 4 WT too while I am at it. But first I have a SurfStick #1 Clone by All Star that has sat stripped of its guides for the last two months, that I have not even started the underwraps on.

I am blessed that I can work remotely, pretty much the entire OBX does not have that luxury and for some this Storm will force them off the Beach. For others it will make them more resolute.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Turtle Closures start in 11 days. Without a Shelly Island, the Point Shut down for a few Birds doing the sexy dance will be next.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Secret Drum Hotline revealed that Portsmouth Island is cut in half by a new inlet which makes driving to the North Point of Portsmouth impossible. Should be a prime Flounder area but that 1205 in the photo above would have had more company if the North Point was an option. Joker did an end around and circumvented closures.

Secret Drum Hotline also revealed last night that two former #1 DrumPros and fishing every day and are in the low to mid 30's, these people need to go back to work. The Shutdown must be killing them mentally, I mean very few folks around to take photos of all the fish being beached.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No editing on this new board design, so if I tell someone to bite off, it is a typo.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just looked closely at the Joker's Drum, it had been a victim of a Shark Attack. A lot of Shark attacks go unreported.

I was at the Point one December and down by the Bird Enclosure you could walk out a good ways to get a bait over the bar. It was night time and some fellas from the North of me came down the beach with a Drum hooked up. The went past the bird fence and disappeared into the darkness. I then hooked up and put a Drum on the beach with a borrowed Century Tip Tornado.

Fellas came back from South of the Bird Enclosure toting a 24" Drum. It had been a 45" or 46" Inch Drum when it went by me with the Angler in tow but a Sand Bar decided it was dinner time. After that I waded out and cast and then came back in to dry land for the rest of the night.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Just looked closely at the Joker's Drum, it had been a victim of a Shark Attack. A lot of Shark attacks go unreported.

I was at the Point one December and down by the Bird Enclosure you could walk out a good ways to get a bait over the bar. It was night time and some fellas from the North of me came down the beach with a Drum hooked up. The went past the bird fence and disappeared into the darkness. I then hooked up and put a Drum on the beach with a borrowed Century Tip Tornado.

Fellas came back from South of the Bird Enclosure toting a 24" Drum. It had been a 45" or 46" Inch Drum when it went by me with the Angler in tow but a Sand Bar decided it was dinner time. After that I waded out and cast and then came back in to dry land for the rest of the night.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Keep the stories coming...love your unique rendition...

1 - 20 of 111 Posts